What Emergency Act?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
“We have adjusted our overall approach to all demonstrations, protests, events and rallies. We will not allow for unsafe or unlawful conditions that could lead to another unlawful protest as seen in February,” the police said, adding that any organiser of any event will be held accountable for their actions before, during and after events.

What unsafe or unlawful conditions???
The unlawful condition of making our Prime Minister look like an idiot.

Reactions: DaSleeper

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Rolling Thunder Ottawa, that hasn’t happened yet, and this protest/rally/ whatever to the best of my knowledge hasn’t even announced its intentions, but it’s being spun pretty hard already….

In a message directed to Ottawa residents, Bell said the police won’t “allow for unsafe or unlawful conditions that could lead to another protest.”

What? “…..that could lead to another protest.” ??? When did we lose our right to assemble or to protest? Something weird is going on here….

The Rolling Thunder group has not been clear about the cause they’re rallying for, except to say that they will be in Ottawa to “peacefully celebrate our freedom.”

The website for “Rolling Thunder Ottawa” said it is partnered with the groups Veterans for Freedom and Freedom Fighters Canada, both of which appear to have links to the Freedom Convoy.

Veterans for Freedom describes itself on its website as a group made up of Canadian veterans working to “restore fundamental freedoms for all Canadians” and “uphold Canadian laws.”

Ok…. Sounds like a pack of misogynistic racist bastards to me? Is Justin/Jagmeet in the Batcave yet?

Bell told councillors that police are in touch with the Rolling Thunder organizers, who expect more than 500 motorcycles to arrive in the city. The force is also working with the RCMP and intelligence agencies to identify potential threats.

Huh…OK. So Ottawa is something like 1 million people with a police force numbered accordingly for that population and they are already bringing in an extra 900 RCMP officers and everybody’s going to have a side arm at least…..’cuz 500 motorcycles? This is a bit weird.

“Threatening or intimidating behaviours will be addressed with all appropriate enforcement action,” Bell said.

At this point, as far as Threatening or intimidating behaviours go, I’m only seeing this from law-enforcement on behalf of the government so far, for a protest or a rally that has not even happened yet. Doesn’t this seem extremely over-the-top?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, Ottawa has almost 1500 swore members in its police force (& 600+ support staff), and is bringing in 800+ RCMP officers this weekend for 500 motorcyclists for a protest/rally/whatever.

So does each protester get assigned his own personal RCMP officer (?) and that officer gets his own personal Ottawa police officer for back up? Doesn’t this sound…off…somehow? Still leaves an extra 300+ RCMP Officiers loitering around wondering what to do…..and another 900 Ottawa police officers…kind of like a protest/rally…?

I hope each biker has a bitch seat so that nobody gets lost or misplaces their RCMP officer.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So, Ottawa has almost 1500 swore members in its police force (& 600+ support staff), and is bringing in 800+ RCMP officers this weekend for 500 motorcyclists for a protest/rally/whatever.

So does each protester get assigned his own personal RCMP officer (?) and that officer gets his own personal Ottawa police officer for back up? Doesn’t this sound…off…somehow? Still leaves an extra 300+ RCMP Officiers loitering around wondering what to do…..and another 900 Ottawa police officers…kind of like a protest/rally…?

I hope each biker has a bitch seat so that nobody gets lost or misplaces their RCMP officer.
No more Oka’s .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Reactions: petros

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The reason the Emergencies Act contains provisions for an automatic review is precisely because extraordinary accountability is needed to oversee its extraordinary powers. If the government tries to simply obscure the fundamental point here — did it know something that truly made the act the only option? — behind cabinet confidentiality, that accountability will be dead on arrival.

1651150325041.jpeg

This government has already earned itself a deserved reputation for relying on dramatic gestures in place of tangible results. It does not deserve the benefit of the doubt from the Canadian people at the best of times, and certainly not in moments as serious as these. Accountability doesn’t mean asking people to take your word for it. It means having the courage to make your case, as fully as possible, before the public, and trusting in them to reach the right conclusion.

All reasonable Canadians know that some secrets must remain secret. All reasonable observers, though, are skeptical of this government when it sets up a scenario where only it can fully judge its own actions.

Reactions: B00Mer and Decapoda

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I don't get it. Why all the smoke and mirrors around the real purpose of this new protest ? Doesn't attracting a bunch of people to gather under a banner of unspecified dissatisfaction and resentment sound like a powder keg ?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't get it. Why all the smoke and mirrors around the real purpose of this new protest ? Doesn't attracting a bunch of people to gather under a banner of unspecified dissatisfaction and resentment sound like a powder keg ?
Why would you think it will be a powder keg ? The authorities that be sure seem to be gearing up to crack some sculls , is that what you refer to ?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Justice minister invokes cabinet secrecy around use of Emergencies Act

Of course he did.

Exposing that the Liberals stripped Canadians of civil liberties in order to salvage the Liberal brand is not a priority for the Liberals.

All the Liberals ever care about is the continuity of their power. They're parasites.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Why would you think it will be a powder keg ? The authorities that be sure seem to be gearing up to crack some sculls , is that what you refer to ?
I'm a little apprehensive of the potential for less-than-courteous confrontation here. As far as a stated purpose for the rally all I can find is the veterans' aspect around the war memorial, something vague about "returning dignity" to the site. It's concerning that the organizer Neil Sheard has made a point of distancing himself from known pot-stirrer Chris Sky who will be hosting a rally of his own near the Parliament Hill. Throw a bunch of cops into the mix who by their own admission are prime for action at the slightest provocation and it would be silly to think that there isn't some potential for nastiness. I notice that "freedom" is being used frequently around this rally, and that particular word has become somewhat of a beacon for people who love to practice in-your-face political expression. I sduppose it comes down to people in attendance who are actually looking for trouble, be they participants or law enforcement. If everybody behaves then there will be no problem, if not then yes, it's a powder keg.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
I'm a little apprehensive of the potential for less-than-courteous confrontation here. As far as a stated purpose for the rally all I can find is the veterans' aspect around the war memorial, something vague about "returning dignity" to the site. It's concerning that the organizer Neil Sheard has made a point of distancing himself from known pot-stirrer Chris Sky who will be hosting a rally of his own near the Parliament Hill. Throw a bunch of cops into the mix who by their own admission are prime for action at the slightest provocation and it would be silly to think that there isn't some potential for nastiness. I notice that "freedom" is being used frequently around this rally, and that particular word has become somewhat of a beacon for people who love to practice in-your-face political expression. I suppose it comes down to people in attendance who are actually looking for trouble, be they participants or law enforcement. If everybody behaves then there will be no problem, if not then yes, it's a powder keg.
People are free to assemble (for now) and they're free to protest. They aren't free to break the law.

Unfortunately, Trudeau and other levels of government took it upon themselves to misrepresent protestors character and intent, and misuse the law to use unprecedented action to suspend charter rights during the trucker protest. This encourages more vocal groups who have agreed to abide by established laws to "hold the line" who feel their freedom is being threatened to ensure peoples rights and freedoms aren't desecrated any more than they already have by this authoritarian government abuse. When government overuses their power, some are motivated to stand up and defend their rights.

I don't know what this group's goal is other than what they have described as rally to show of solidarity with our veterans and those that have fought and died for our country. Hopefully things are peaceful. But if this goes bad Government owns part of it. If Trudeau would have gotten off his arrogant high horse, reached out and opened a dialogue with truckers instead of resorting to the nuclear option, it's quite possible this new group would not even be going to Ottawa. But Trudeau doesn't possess the intellect to figure out how not to screw everything up.