What does being Canadian mean to you? (Happy Canada Day!!)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

To me being a Canadian means freedom. The ability to speak when you want, and to stand up for what you believe in. The pleasure to be able to visit your neighbors no matter there race, and to sleep peacefully at night not worrying that your home will be gone in the morning. For all those reasons I am very blessed and happy to live in the country of Canada.

So what does it mean to be Canadian for you? :canada:

To me it means residency.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Being Canadian was always a proud thing for me but then I learned about the world and now the pride has been replaced by sorrow for the things to come. I hope I am wrong but fear that I am right. It is impossible for me to divorce my Canadian identity from our evil allies and the horror they have wrought throughout the world. We are what we tolerate and nothing more.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It means I won the lotto!

True. The birth one anyway. Could have wound up being born in North Korea, Congo or to the Phelps family. That would suck.

Hey!! If I lived in Quebec I could buy my liquor at the local 7/11.. and lots of Maple Syrup and Poutine...

You have to do it right if you dont want the language police to harass you.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
True. The birth one anyway. Could have wound up being born in North Korea, Congo or to the Phelps family. That would suck.

Some people seem to think that they somehow earned the right to be bron in Canada and can now decide to gets to be lucky and who doesn't. Last I checked, God does not judge based on where one is born.

You have to do it right if you dont want the language police to harass you.

I'd emailed the OLF a while back to find out whether it would be legal to include a sign in Algonquin first and French second, but all at the same size (I was thinking of possibly investing in a business in Ottawa or Gatineau). I was pretty sure I knew the answer but wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked any obscure legal exception.

I got the answer within a few days and sure enough, it would be illegal. Immagine! If Algonquin is a threat to the French language, then that language is in a much more precarious position than many people realise!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Some people seem to think that they somehow earned the right to be bron in Canada and can now decide to gets to be lucky and who doesn't. Last I checked, God does not judge based on where one is born.

I'd emailed the OLF a while back to find out whether it would be legal to include a sign in Algonquin first and French second, but all at the same size (I was thinking of possibly investing in a business in Ottawa or Gatineau). I was pretty sure I knew the answer but wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked any obscure legal exception.

I got the answer within a few days and sure enough, it would be illegal. Immagine! If Algonquin is a threat to the French language, then that language is in a much more precarious position than many people realise!

and this has what to do with the question asked in the OP?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Too bad Molsons is owned by an American company. Takes all the patriotism out of those commercials for me.

Canada is still one of the greatest countries to live in, in spite of our politics.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

To me being a Canadian means freedom. The ability to speak when you want, and to stand up for what you believe in. The pleasure to be able to visit your neighbors no matter there race, and to sleep peacefully at night not worrying that your home will be gone in the morning. For all those reasons I am very blessed and happy to live in the country of Canada.

So what does it mean to be Canadian for you? :canada:
Means I live in a relatively decent country.Happy 2013/07/01
(Hope no-one was expecting some really deep and profound thoughts here) :D