US Assassinates Iranian Military General

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
and now the world is waiting for payback from Iran. Trump is gloating as can be predicted. He is acting like he got himself a kill.

this was provocative........and could escalate badly.

the question is the timing and the real motive as the Trump gang has no credibility.

Federal government tells Canadians to consider leaving Iraq

https://globalnews.ca/news/6364360/...erNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020

Trump might just have his war........... and just in time for the election.
Also breaks the news cycle from the impeachment .

The US has no problem with assassinating key people from other nations.

Now the US is sending massive numbers of troops to the ME to protect Americans..........and their embassies.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"Donald Trump is not just flailing haplessly around like a cat with its head stuck in a bucket. This guy gets it. He is the one who put Jared Kushner in charge of the Middle East!"

-- Alexandra Petri

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No world war is complete without a German invasion of Belgium.

So I wouldn't like to be Belgian right now.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Did you react the same way when Bin Laden was offed?
Bin LaDEN COULD HAVE BEEN CAPTURED AND DEALT WITH IN DUE PROCESS OF INTERNATIONAL. LAW..... For goodness sake they killed him infron tof his family. .............

the us HAS A HISTORY OF BARBARIC ASSASSINATIONS: ........bIN lADEN, sUDAM hUSEAIN...... lYBIA'S LEADER...........AND NOW A VITAL KEY SIMILARITY GENERAL..........

It is the LAW that separates civility from barbarism.. Assassinations of any type are barbaric .

This was also meant to affect the impeachment process.........as otherwise why now?? FACT: we cannot believe a word that Trump spews......... and after bashing the intelligence service.........we are to suddenly believe that he takes their info seriously ?? The stupidity of the spin is dizzying.

As if Iraq didn't have enough problems............ this puts them in a danger sou & impossible position... The US has made a friggen MESS in the ME........and continues to do so. The US wants to Control the region and its resources... Then they wonder why the region hates them. and acts out violently against them. What in heck do they expect??

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Never heard of Qasem Soleimani until the news broke of his death. Decided to do some reading up on him and learned that at one time he was if not an allay at least a collaborator of the US during the Iraq war. From what I gleaned from the New Yorker article, he was a very intelligent, really dangerous person and a pal of the Ayatollah. He had de facto control of Iran's military and was 'a frighteningly intelligent strategist'. He was responsible for untold numbers of civilian deaths in his (and the government's quest) to extend the 'Shiite sphere of influence' all the way to the way to the Mediterranean. He was in tight with many other terrorist orgs especially with Hezbollah. They took out Bin Laden so why is Soleimani's demise any different? Except of course that taking out Osama had no chance of precipitating a war as this killing just might.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bin LaDEN COULD HAVE BEEN CAPTURED AND DEALT WITH IN DUE PROCESS OF INTERNATIONAL. LAW..... For goodness sake they killed him infron tof his family. .............
the us HAS A HISTORY OF BARBARIC ASSASSINATIONS: ........bIN lADEN, sUDAM hUSEAIN...... lYBIA'S LEADER...........AND NOW A VITAL KEY SIMILARITY GENERAL..........
It is the LAW that separates civility from barbarism.. Assassinations of any type are barbaric .
This was also meant to affect the impeachment process.........as otherwise why now?? FACT: we cannot believe a word that Trump spews......... and after bashing the intelligence service.........we are to suddenly believe that he takes their info seriously ?? The stupidity of the spin is dizzying.
As if Iraq didn't have enough problems............ this puts them in a danger sou & impossible position... The US has made a friggen MESS in the ME........and continues to do so. The US wants to Control the region and its resources... Then they wonder why the region hates them. and acts out violently against them. What in heck do they expect??
Now Trump is colluding with Iraq to off Iranian thugs to avoid impeachment?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Never heard of Qasem Soleimani until the news broke of his death. Decided to do some reading up on him and learned that at one time he was if not an allay at least a collaborator of the US during the Iraq war. From what I gleaned from the New Yorker article, he was a very intelligent, really dangerous person and a pal of the Ayatollah. He had de facto control of Iran's military and was 'a frighteningly intelligent strategist'. He was responsible for untold numbers of civilian deaths in his (and the government's quest) to extend the 'Shiite sphere of influence' all the way to the way to the Mediterranean. He was in tight with many other terrorist orgs especially with Hezbollah. They took out Bin Laden so why is Soleimani's demise any different? Except of course that taking out Osama had no chance of precipitating a war as this killing just might.

Exactly this reason.

And if you're okay with the US doing this, then you're okay with some other nation going in to kill off, say, Kushner? Or Pence? Ivanka? Mulvaney? Guliani? Cause THAT is what this does.

Dangerous as he was, his assassination is not worth the shytestorm that's going to follow.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Now Trump is colluding with Iraq to off Iranian thugs to avoid impeachment?

No, but starting a war with Iran, or trying to, certainly would take everyone's attention from it.

It says a lot that not only would Obama not take this guy out, but Bush 2 as well, because of the fallout...

Fallout they actually understood and Trump doesn't give a shyte about.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
No, but starting a war with Iran, or trying to, certainly would take everyone's attention from it.

exactly......and the media is saturated with the potential fallout from this execution.

and you are right...... Trump could give a damn about consequences or fallout.......as he will just manipulate and lie his way out of it.........and the Trumpians will swallow his bs like kool aide.

Trump loves to do things in a sensational way..........and now that includes assassinations.

How will he top that one?? Just watch.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Probably. In a different thread, the usual suspects were against doing anything to Afghanistan, after 9/11. One wonders if the internet was available in the 1940s, if the same posters would be complaining about how "unfair" it was of America to enter the war and fight the Japanese after Pearl Harbor.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/showthread.php?t=164396&page=10
The terrorists from 9 11 were NOT from Afghanistan.

Not everyone is as trigger happy as the Republicans. Most prefer to operate on good intelligence ......

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The terrorists from 9 11 were NOT from Afghanistan.

Not everyone is as trigger happy as the Republicans. Most prefer to operate on good intelligence ......

Personally, I was all for going to Afghanistan after Bin Laden.

But his being from Saudi, along with most of the others from that day, is another reason I hate that SA gets a free pass while other nations don't.

The biggest factor to be totally WTF and against this assassination is that it didn't go through Congress, like it should have. If I were any American in the US, I would be SERIOUSLY worried at this point.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Personally, I was all for going to Afghanistan after Bin Laden.

But his being from Saudi, along with most of the others from that day, is another reason I hate that SA gets a free pass while other nations don't.

The biggest factor to be totally WTF and against this assassination is that it didn't go through Congress, like it should have. If I were any American in the US, I would be SERIOUSLY worried at this point.
I totally agree with your "biggest factor" comment. That says more than the incident itself. Suspect we will be seeing more and more of Trump style decision that don't follow protocol .......involve congress.....etc. They have let him get away with so much that he is now feeling he can behave in even more extreme ways........that are not democratic. Their excuses are getting tiresome as they are just a series of lies.

So we will see how this unfolds and how much more drama he will create. with him playing the lead role..

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The people who planned the attack were based out of Afghanistan. The Taliban Government had given refuge to Al Qaeda for years, and let Osama Bin Laden conduct his training and anti-American activities in the country. America and the Western World was perfectly justified by invading the country, and toppling the Taliban out of Government, and conducting strikes against Al Qaeda hideouts. It was in the best interest of the Western World to do so.

Just curious....did you think it was wrong to declare war on Japan, after they attacked the US military base at Pearl Harbor? The December 7, 1942 attacks and the 9/11 attacks were both acts of War by a foreign based enemy. I don't understand why any freedom loving person would be opposed to retaliating against an enemy.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Not saying the man didn't deserve to get annihilated.

It's the HOW that's the problem.
Is it? Iranian backed insurgents attempt to attack the US embassy in Baghdad. General F*ckface is at the Baghdad Airport clearly orchestrating things from Iran's side. He's a legitimate military target AND a well known terrorist in the region. Diplomats however, are NOT legitimate military targets.

One last thing. Generals are military. It's not an assassination just because they blew him into little bitty pieces in an airstrike while he was engaging in offensive operations in a country that Iran has long been at war with. I had no idea there was a UN Resolution prohibiting the killing of your enemy's generals while engaged in combat. That's part of the risk of being in the military, n'est ce pas?