UPDATE: In Case you are feeling sorry for Paula Deen

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I remember walking down the street IN CANADA 20 years ago and people would stop on the street and look at my wife and I.. a mixed race couple..

I remember 5 years ago, going to a Waffle House in Texas for Breakfast and being turned away.. I mean, do you really want to eat food in a place they don't really want you?? Mystery meat.

The difference I see between Canada and the USA is the Racists in the USA are more open about it and don't really hide the fact that they are racist, in Canada, there is just as much Racism, it's just a hidden bigotry. (The term New Canadians used widely, referring to East Indians)

Canada Is Still Racist | VICE Canada

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I remember walking down the street IN CANADA 20 years ago and people would stop on the street and look at my wife and I.. a mixed race couple..

I remember 5 years ago, going to a Waffle House in Texas going for Breakfast and being turned away.. I mean, do you really want to eat food in a place they don't really want you?? Mystery meat.

The difference I see between Canada and the USA is the Racists in the USA are more open about it and don't really hide the fact that they are racist, in Canada, there is just as much Racism, it's just a hidden bigotry. (The term New Canadians used widely, referring to East Indians)
wow Boomer that would have sucked!!!
I remember standing at the bus stop with my mum and our black neighbour chatting with us but when we got on the bus he politely kept walking...my mum called him back and he sat with her...I did not understand why it was a big deal, and I remember the discussion later in the evening when I was in bed and straining mightily to hear what they were speaking about. They were the ONLY black family in town at the time and they were from the deep south. I remember he had the most awesome speaking voice I had ever heard. I remember when their son married the whitest, blondest, tallest, leanest, most beautiful woman who was also on a TV show...holy shmoley...did that kick at the bees nest...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Agreed, it is not up to us to decide. When blacks are equal then we get a clean slate, they have come a long way, but there is still much racism today... would you feel like giving a clean slate if your grandfather was hung from a tree, and your mother was `lucky enough` to spend an hour on a bus heading to the white part of town so she could be a maid.

Up until 1955 blacks sat at the back of the bus...I still remember race riots...I still remember people thinking it was okay to call people `darkies` I still remember almonds being called n-toes, I still remember having my girlfriends child at the park and another child coming over to play and his mother yanking her child away while giving me razor sharp looks...I didn`t know what the problem was, but my girlfriend did... I still remember the huge fight in our neighbourhood when the first black family moved in and my dad wouldn`t sign the petition against it... I remember a lot of angry words between neighbours although I didn`t know why...

So no, it is no where near time yet to equate the term honky or cracker with ******.

I should add here... I think those words are despicable too, but they would not fill me with fear or anger. Like the woman in the video, the word I find equally offensive to ****** is the c word since that is the word frequently used by abusers who objectify women and view them as worthless trash.

I see someone gave you a "red", which kind of shocked me. One can disagree with an opinion but still respect the rationale that went into it. That is why I seldom hand out "reds". (exception being guys who like to "play games".-:) )

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Everyone has got their little anecdotes; isn't that nice. Racism, shmacism, get over yourselves already.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Yeah, that link is pretty informatory, but if your live in the deep south, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia you had better get used to that language.. it's pretty much the norm..

Glad I don't.

And I doubt it's the norm.

Have a few black friends from South Carolina, and Rochester NY, who would kick your *** six ways from Sunday if you called them ******.

Couple might even shoot ya.

just sayin.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I see someone gave you a "red", which kind of shocked me. One can disagree with an opinion but still respect the rationale that went into it. That is why I seldom hand out "reds". (exception being guys who like to "play games".-:) )
meh, no sweat, a red is easier to give when one can not discuss the issue but wishes to show they don`t like the message :lol:

Everyone has got their little anecdotes; isn't that nice. Racism, shmacism, get over yourselves already.
when you come back Walter, you are going to be white, and they will be in the minority... lmao..guaranteed.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Glad I don't.

It's the norm... trust me, listening to the CB in some areas of the deep south.. geez. sad people. uneducated.

Hell, even in Canada where I work, you hear drivers b*tching, saying this driver got that because he is Hispanic or East Indian or whatever..

I'll be shoot'in back.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Glad I don't.

Have a few black friends from South Carolina, and Rochester NY, who would kick your *** six ways from Sunday if you called them ******.

just sayin.
they should just get over themselves.
:angel9:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think you've hit the nail on the head, miniboss!

I guess we have to balance political correctness with freedom of speech.

Political Correctness trumps Freedom of Speech each and every time.

It's particularly funny because righties usually stand up for the rights of corporations to any damn thing they please. Now they're fuming because corporations made decisions about a spokesperson. The few of them who actually understand that the government is completely uninvolved in this flap, that is.

Yeah... yeah... we're fuming. I can't tell you how many hours I've lost sleep over this.

Geez

Agreed, it is not up to us to decide. When blacks are equal then we get a clean slate, they have come a long way, but there is still much racism today... would you feel like giving a clean slate if your grandfather was hung from a tree, and your mother was `lucky enough` to spend an hour on a bus heading to the white part of town so she could be a maid.

Up until 1955 blacks sat at the back of the bus...I still remember race riots...I still remember people thinking it was okay to call people `darkies` I still remember almonds being called n-toes, I still remember having my girlfriends child at the park and another child coming over to play and his mother yanking her child away while giving me razor sharp looks...I didn`t know what the problem was, but my girlfriend did... I still remember the huge fight in our neighbourhood when the first black family moved in and my dad wouldn`t sign the petition against it... I remember a lot of angry words between neighbours although I didn`t know why...

So no, it is no where near time yet to equate the term honky or cracker with ******.

I should add here... I think those words are despicable too, but they would not fill me with fear or anger. Like the woman in the video, the word I find equally offensive to ****** is the c word since that is the word frequently used by abusers who objectify women and view them as worthless trash.

Wow Sal... you got bit hard with the white guilt bug.

But not me... I didn't do squat to African-Americans or any other race. No guilt here and calling me a cracker is just like the N word. Racism is racism. Newfoundland via Ireland on one side and Cork County on the other side.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Yeah... yeah... we're fuming. I can't tell you how many hours I've lost sleep over this.

Geez

Wow Sal... you got bit hard with the white guilt bug.

But not me... I didn't do squat to African-Americans or any other race. No guilt here and calling me a cracker is just like the N word. Racism is racism. Newfoundland via Ireland on one side and Cork County on the other side.
Did I? You think it`s guilt to try to understand where another human being is coming from...well...maybe so but that`s how I feel.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Glad I don't.

just sayin.

Well said Nuggs. You've got to love the stereotypes. As if the Northern states are so much better. My liberal state of Massachusetts is chock full of racist. Heck it was not so long ago that our Democrat Liberal State Senate President Tom Finneran pleaded guilty to a felony for gerrymandering an African American district to keep his liberal buddy in office. Liberals around here are racist to the core.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I rather doubt it and if it does it shouldn't because then one of our very basic rights is being denied. It was a right hundreds of years before the term "political correctness" was even thought of. Generally speaking I try to be as politically incorrect as possible. -:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Did I? You think it`s guilt to try to understand where another human being is coming from...well...maybe so but that`s how I feel.

IMO you have. Understanding is one thing but excusing one's racism because his/her ancestors MAY have been a slave or subjected to Jim Crow Laws.

Correct me if I am wrong... but it sounds like you do not think they have the intelligence. "When they are equal to us"... geez... that's harsh Sal.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I rather doubt it and if it does it shouldn't because then one of our very basic rights is being denied. It was a right hundreds of years before the term "political correctness" was even thought of. Generally speaking I try to be as politically incorrect as possible. -:)

You do? What's up with this thread then?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well said Nuggs. You've got to love the stereotypes. As if the Northern states are so much better. My liberal state of Massachusetts is chock full of racist. Heck it was not so long ago that our Democrat Liberal State Senate President Tom Finneran pleaded guilty to a felony for gerrymandering an African American district to keep his liberal buddy in office. Liberals around here are racist to the core.

Yep, I believe the term "Paddy Wagon" got it's start in Mass. due to the fact that its main "fares" were the drunken Irish on a Saturday night.

You do? What's up with this thread then?

Don't know, I didn't start the thread.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
IMO you have. Understanding is one thing but excusing one's racism because his/her ancestors MAY have been a slave or subjected to Jim Crow Laws.

Correct me if I am wrong... but it sounds like you do not think they have the intelligence. "When they are equal to us"... geez... that's harsh Sal.
I find it interesting that during a recent discussion we had because I spoke of inner city black youth as not having the same opportunities that whites had you immediately made the leap to the conclusion that I thought that blacks do not have the same intelligence level as whites... you make that assumption again. You also speculated that perhaps I was a racist or at least uninformed about the Afro-American situation although you did not want to say that it was implied as it is here.

Intelligence is relative to one`s environment and many other factors such as how it is measured.

I don`t think it sounds that way, I think that is your attempt at manipulation of the discussion and perhaps some feelings of your own. It`s an interesting angle which i feel no need to defend against.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep, I believe the term "Paddy Wagon" got it's start in Mass. due to the fact that its main "fares" were the drunken Irish on a Saturday night.
Attaboy, spread the stereotype.
In fact, Paddy is a nickname for the Irish name, Patrick and as a large fraction of police at the time were Irish, the vehicle used to cart criminals away was referred to as a "Paddy's wagon". It was later shortened to "Paddy Wagon".
So much for "beliefs", right?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I find it interesting that during a recent discussion we had because I spoke of inner city black youth as not having the same opportunities that whites had you immediately made the leap to the conclusion that I thought that blacks do not have the same intelligence level as whites... you make that assumption again. You also speculated that perhaps I was a racist or at least uninformed about the Afro-American situation although you did not want to say that it was implied as it is here.

Intelligence is relative to one`s environment and many other factors such as how it is measured.

I don`t think it sounds that way, I think that is your attempt at manipulation of the discussion and perhaps some feelings of your own. It`s an interesting angle which i feel no need to defend against.

I was told years ago that the average I.Q. (100) is exactly the same for all races.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I don't know if it was Mass but you sure have the meaning right.

Paddy Wagon... can you just imagine using other derogatory names to describe a police wagon!

No no. I've known you long enough in this forum to know you don't mean anything intentionally "bad" by saying these things. BUT some of these things that you do say could be considered racist by the people (of any color) who are over the top with political correctness.

I understand what you mean... although I don't agree.

Attaboy, spread the stereotype.
In fact, Paddy is a nickname for the Irish name, Patrick and as a large fraction of police at the time were Irish, the vehicle used to cart criminals away was referred to as a "Paddy's wagon". It was later shortened to "Paddy Wagon".
So much for "beliefs", right?