UPDATE: In Case you are feeling sorry for Paula Deen

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Agreed, it is not up to us to decide. When blacks are equal then we get a clean slate, they have come a long way, but there is still much racism today... would you feel like giving a clean slate if your grandfather was hung from a tree, and your mother was `lucky enough` to spend an hour on a bus heading to the white part of town so she could be a maid.

Up until 1955 blacks sat at the back of the bus...I still remember race riots...I still remember people thinking it was okay to call people `darkies` I still remember almonds being called n-toes, I still remember having my girlfriends child at the park and another child coming over to play and his mother yanking her child away while giving me razor sharp looks...I didn`t know what the problem was, but my girlfriend did... I still remember the huge fight in our neighbourhood when the first black family moved in and my dad wouldn`t sign the petition against it... I remember a lot of angry words between neighbours although I didn`t know why...

So no, it is no where near time yet to equate the term honky or cracker with ******.

I should add here... I think those words are despicable too, but they would not fill me with fear or anger. Like the woman in the video, the word I find equally offensive to ****** is the c word since that is the word frequently used by abusers who objectify women and view them as worthless trash.

Excellent post, Sal. :thumbup:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
[/URL]
Ah, the fightin Paddywhacks. Another stereotype.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Attaboy, spread the stereotype.
In fact, Paddy is a nickname for the Irish name, Patrick and as a large fraction of police at the time were Irish, the vehicle used to cart criminals away was referred to as a "Paddy's wagon". It was later shortened to "Paddy Wagon".
So much for "beliefs", right?

That's not the way it was explained to me, but who knows, the guy who told me may have had the information wrong! -:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What's accepted? Loads of Irish people don't like to fight, don't like to drink, don't like to commit crimes, etc. Name me one nationality that doesn't have criminals, please. :)

The logo... stereotype... by many. Not all of course. But ND will not be dropping that logo.

The etymology of Paddy Wagon is as I said. JLM is dead wrong in his belief.

I was under the same impression as JLM as well... but we could be wrong. I've heard it being called that but yours makes more sense and sounds like a better explanation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Attaboy, spread the stereotype.
In fact, Paddy is a nickname for the Irish name, Patrick and as a large fraction of police at the time were Irish, the vehicle used to cart criminals away was referred to as a "Paddy's wagon". It was later shortened to "Paddy Wagon".
So much for "beliefs", right?

The word paddy wagon is of American origin. The precise origin of the term is uncertain and disputed, though its use dates back to at least the beginning of the 1900s.[1] There are at least two theories as how the phrase originated.[2]
  • The most prevalent theory is based on the term "Paddy" (a common Irish shortening of Patrick, as in the Irish language Patrick is Padraig), which was used ( often as derogatory slang) to refer to Irish people.[3] Irishmen made up a large percentage of the officers of early police forces in many American cities. Thus, this theory suggests that the concentration of Irish in the police forces led to the term "paddy wagon" being used to describe the vehicles driven by police.
  • An alternative theory is similarly based on the term "Paddy" but states that the term arose due to the high crime level among Irish immigrants.[4]
Looks like we are both right.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No no. I've known you long enough in this forum to know you don't mean anything intentionally "bad" by saying these things. BUT some of these things that you do say could be considered racist by the people (of any color) who are over the top with political correctness.

I understand what you mean... although I don't agree.
I don't mean anything intentionally bad? By saying what for example? I don't think you do understand what I mean and I think that is the problem. But maybe it is me...thus...

Some of these things I say could be racist? Something is either racist or it isn't and racism may be due to ignorance or (fear) which exhibits itself in hate. If the thought or things I say are racist then that means I hold a belief that is incorrect so what belief do I hold that you find to be racist. Give me some examples, I am truly curious and would like to learn. If I present that way I want to know what it is....sincerely.

I was told years ago that the average I.Q. (100) is exactly the same for all races.
that would be a guess since they have no accurate way to measure IQ because the measuring tool is standardized to our culture and our way of thinking and middle class values, so guess who excels at that?... therefore it is biased

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Equal how? We're not equal? What if an African-American becomes President... will we be equal then?
no...when JFK became president, Catholics were just coming into "equality" they still had a ways to go, and the same applies here...when the inner city no longer exists and people are judged by who and what they are instead of skin colour, ethnicity, religion etc...then we will be equal.

people can close their eyes to it, but the elephant is still in the room

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
no...when JFK became president, Catholics were just coming into "equality" they still had a ways to go, and the same applies here...when the inner city no longer exists and people are judged by who and what they are instead of skin colour, ethnicity, religion etc...then we will be equal.

people can close their eyes to it, but the elephant is still in the room

Us Catholics had a ways to go... in 1963? Give me a break.

The inner-city will always exist because it is an inner city.

So like making all things equal? Get rid of affirmative action and quotas? Try floating that around here.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Us Catholics had a ways to go... in 1963? Give me a break.

The inner-city will always exist because it is an inner city.

So like making all things equal? Get rid of affirmative action and quotas? Try floating that around here.

I wish I could think of a better word than "equal", although I suppose it applies to an extent when it comes to rights and privileges. Contrary to being equal people are unique.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Help me out a bit there fellow forum member.

Well, I think that is where equality probably ends. Back in the 60s when women first got a bee in their bonnet about being able to do everything a man could do because they were "equal". Well, they're not, anymore than a carrot is equal to a turnip.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
‘I’ve worked at Ms. Deen’s restaurant for close to nine years and I’m as ‘BLACK’ as they come’

I've tried to keep quiet about the Paula Deen situation, but I've seen so much "dirt" being tossed around, I figured I might as well shed a little light.

I've worked at Ms. Deen's restaurant for close to nine years and I'm as "BLACK" as they come. I was never forced to enter through the back door. It's a rule that ALL employees enter through the back door so we don't disturb guest while they're eating. I'm currently a waiter there, which is about as front house as you can get. I didn't have to beg to be a waiter. In fact, I was ASKED to be one. Many of her staff in the front house are black. Young black kids in college. Bathroom usage is for ALL employees, but we(ALL EMPLOYEES) only use the back of the house restrooms during service so that we don't disturb guest. One of Paula's longest working employees, an elderly BLACK woman, was invited to be a guest at Paula's house after this lady had surgery. Paula looked out for her. The restaurant looks out for ALL OF US by providing health and dental insurance and 401 K plans. Not too many restaurants doing that. We're also allowed paid vacation. As a BLACK man who has been with the company for some time now, I'm simply saying don't believe all accusations you're hearing....cause they're just that. Accusations. And no, I'm not just saying this to brown nose my employers. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't believe in casting stones at an individual for making a mistake.

Signed,
A happily employed and thankful young man.

Be well, people :)

https://www.facebook.com/willie.smith.bosc/posts/10151684992878180

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Judge Tosses Lawsuit Accusing Paula Deen of Being a Racist…

Note: The accuser is a white woman.

Via CBS News:
A federal judge in Georgia has thrown out race discrimination claims by a former Savannah restaurant manager whose lawsuit against Paula Deen ended up causing the celebrity cook to lose a big slice of her culinary empire.

Lisa Jackson sued Deen and her brother, Bubba Hiers, last year saying she was subjected to sexual harassment and racist attitudes during the five years she worked at their restaurant, Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House. But U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore Jr. ruled Monday that Jackson, who is white, has no standing to sue them for race discrimination.

Judge Tosses Lawsuit Accusing Paula Deen of Being a Racist… | Weasel Zippers