University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech: anti-abortion club

The club could take measures to reduce the risk and, in turn, the security fee, such as moving the event from the wide-open quad outdoor area to a more easily secured indoor venue, she said.

“We’re willing to work with them if they want to reduce the cost associated with their event, but we do have to ensure the safety of those students themselves as well as the rest of the students who happen to be on north campus at the time of the event.”

University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech: anti-abortion club | National Post

Hmmm, seems a little punitive.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Apparently it fluctuates, and is based on what, where and who.

If they are a part of the university they probably get a discount. What I am asking is was the actual cause they represent factored in? Or would a similar club asking for same location at same time get the same rate?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If they are a part of the university they probably get a discount. What I am asking is was the actual cause they represent factored in? Or would a similar club asking for same location at same time get the same rate?
My take is the University fears unrest caused by the subject, not by the organizers, and has made that is the cause of the rather high cost.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That is probably how much buying a baby from an agency costs these days. Might as well make it for that group alone.

Line 313 - Adoption expenses

As a parent, you can claim an amount for eligible adoption expenses related to the adoption of a child who is under 18 years of age. The maximum claim for each child is $15,255. You can claim these incurred expenses in the tax year including the end of the adoption period for the child.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That is probably how much buying a baby from an agency costs these days. Might as well make it for that group alone.

As a parent, you can claim an amount for eligible adoption expenses related to the adoption of a child who is under 18 years of age. The maximum claim for each child is $15,255. You can claim these incurred expenses in the tax year including the end of the adoption period for the child.
Geezus you're an idiot.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
My take is the University fears unrest caused by the subject, not by the organizers, and has made that is the cause of the rather high cost.

That makes sense to me. A highly controversial topic with an in-your-face display specifically meant to draw an emotional response is going to need more security, especially in a university environment.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That makes sense to me. A highly controversial topic with an in-your-face display specifically meant to draw an emotional response is going to need more security, especially in a university environment.
Phew, I thought I was the only one that thought it was punitive.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Especially if they want to squash the event.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Especially if they want to squash the event.
Well ya, you know it's only right that people get violent and cause damage when confronted with hot topics. And whatever you do, you don't fine the people causing said damage, you punitively charge the STUDENT organizers. You know they're just flush with cash.

Very progressive, very trendy, very enlightened.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well ya, you know it's only right that people get violent and cause damage when confronted with hot topics.

Very progressive, very trendy, very enlightened.

It is clear to me... their event is not progressive so here is what you will owe in advance.... $17K+.

Problem solved.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Well ya, you know it's only right that people get violent and cause damage when confronted with hot topics.

Right or wrong doesn't really factor into this other than those hosting the demonstration saying "We're right and you're wrong." The more relevant factor would be whether or not a display designed to produce an emotional response would be successful and to what degree. In a whirlpool of liberal idealism like a university aged crowd I'd say the chances are high that emotion will prevail over any form of calm discussion.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
In a whirlpool of liberal idealism like a university aged crowd I'd say the chances are high that emotion will prevail over any form of calm discussion.
It is the old farts who tend to blow a gasket. A 'university crowd' should mean educated people who are holding down the best jobs (or will be) and they are the ones who will be doing the adopting. Let's hope it doesn't go into abuse like when Russian orphans were adopted by American couples.
How much is that red bear in the window? The one with the stream of tears.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Right or wrong doesn't really factor into this other than those hosting the demonstration saying "We're right and you're wrong." The more relevant factor would be whether or not a display designed to produce an emotional response would be successful and to what degree. In a whirlpool of liberal idealism like a university aged crowd I'd say the chances are high that emotion will prevail over any form of calm discussion.
On the upside, you probably won't get 600 knuckle-dragging rednecks with AR-15s and MAK-90s.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Right or wrong doesn't really factor into this other than those hosting the demonstration saying "We're right and you're wrong."
Looked, can't find the word "demonstration" applied to the pro life group, in the article. Did find "educational display" though. That was obstructed by a "demonstration" the year prior.

Again, maybe you should stick to what is actually said, instead of making it up.

The more relevant factor would be whether or not a display designed to produce an emotional response would be successful and to what degree.
Geez, you're like Ezra Levant in how you just make stuff up.

In a whirlpool of liberal idealism like a university aged crowd I'd say the chances are high that emotion will prevail over any form of calm discussion.
I already acknowledged that you agreed with me, that it was punitive.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech: anti-abortion club

The club could take measures to reduce the risk and, in turn, the security fee, such as moving the event from the wide-open quad outdoor area to a more easily secured indoor venue, she said.

“We’re willing to work with them if they want to reduce the cost associated with their event, but we do have to ensure the safety of those students themselves as well as the rest of the students who happen to be on north campus at the time of the event.”

University of Alberta’s $17,500 security fee on pro-life event gags free speech: anti-abortion club | National Post

Hmmm, seems a little punitive.

I haven't a clue how much it would cost for security during an outdoor event such as this one, Bear. Maybe it is punitive, maybe not but the group was given the option of holding their demonstration in a more secure area. If they are that dedicated to the cause one might think that getting their message out took precedence over where it would be held.