Unbe-effing-lievable.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The problem with the debate is that it is really purely a political move. Only one party is really keen on it because most of the people that it would disenfranchise vote for their rivals.

How and who does it disenfranchise?

If it does disenfranchise people... is that what it does in Canada?

The organizers are not checking people's IDs before allowing them to participate. It is a "do" because if police decide to get involved they can demand your ID, and if you don't have it, then it can become a problem.

LMAO. You CAN'T be serious!

What a joke that statement is.

Do you want me to FILL this thread with clips of people refusing to give cops their ID?

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
How and who does it disenfranchise?

If it does disenfranchise people... is that what it does in Canada?

It disproportionately impacts poorer people, minorities, and the elderly.

With essentially no evidence that voter fraud is an issue, you have to wonder why so many republicans are intent on pushing for stricter ID laws.

Canada currently has quite liberal I.D. requirements, where a utility bill can be used or a person with ID can vouch for you. The Cons are trying to tighten that up here too though.

LMAO. You CAN'T be serious!

What a joke that statement is.

Do you want me to FILL this thread with clips of people refusing to give cops their ID?

In how many of those videos does it cause a problem when they refuse to show their ID?

Most US states have laws that allow police to actually arrest you if you don't provide ID when asked. In other states, they still have the power to make your life very hard if you don't comply. So in the interest of a peaceful and non confrontational protest, it is just easier to be ready to comply if need be.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It disproportionately impacts poorer people, minorities, and the elderly.

So that is a big problem in Canada? The government of Canada is deliberately disenfranchising the poor, minorities, and the elderly by having a voter ID law?

With essentially no evidence that voter fraud is an issue, you have to wonder why so many republicans are intent on pushing for stricter ID laws.
Voter fraud is an issue.

I could fill this slot up as well...

http://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...fraud-occurs-texas-though-convictions-and-gu/

Canada currently has quite liberal I.D. requirements, where a utility bill can be used or a person with ID can vouch for you. The Cons are trying to tighten that up here too though.
We don't even have that law. It is considered racist to have to ID yourself when voting in the US.

In how many of those videos does it cause a problem when they refuse to show their ID?
Almost every one! Cops do not like being told they do not need to see an ID simply because they want to. The cops get POed!

Most US states have laws that allow police to actually arrest you if you don't provide ID when asked. In other states, they still have the power to make your life very hard if you don't comply. So in the interest of a peaceful and non confrontational protest, it is just easier to be ready to comply if need be.
They checked IDs to make sure they knew who was participating. They want to make sure everyone is identified. They didn't want any spies.

It is laughable to think it was because the police want to check.

Either way it was hypocritical to require IDs to protest against having to show an ID while voting.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing this...

"Can I see an ID?"

"Am I under arrest?"

"No"

"Can I go?"

"I'm trying to find out who you are!"

"Am I being detained?"

lmao... it goes on and on.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Nothing makes me laugh more than seeing this...

"Can I see an ID?"

"Am I under arrest?"

"No"

"Can I go?"

"I'm trying to find out who you are!"

"Am I being detained?"

lmao... it goes on and on.

Yep, saw a few of those on Youtube. In one the officers lean into the car once the citizen is ousted and one says to the other; "that SOB knows his rights" - then sees the citizens camera and knocks it over. Too funny.

I don't have any problem handing the cops my ID, but I do hesitate when they ask "where you coming from ?" Never had the guts to tellem to fuk off though.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yep, saw a few of those on Youtube. In one the officers lean into the car once the citizen is ousted and one says to the other; "that SOB knows his rights" - then sees the citizens camera and knocks it over. Too funny.

They're great.

Here is a long one but it is a compilation so the first few will give you an idea. Border Patrol Checkpoint Refusals

"No Thanks" Best DHS Checkpoint Refusals EVER! - YouTube

I don't have any problem handing the cops my ID, but I do hesitate when they ask "where you coming from ?" Never had the guts to tellem to fuk off though.

I'm with you!

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
So that is a big problem in Canada? The government of Canada is deliberately disenfranchising the poor, minorities, and the elderly by having a voter ID law?

The new rules that the government is trying to pass to make it harder for people to vote certainly do effect these groups more than other people.

That article proves my point. In a state of over 25 million people, there were 18 cases of voter fraud over a 10 year period. A problem of that magnitude in no way justifies all of the political energy put into it.

We don't even have that law. It is considered racist to have to ID yourself when voting in the US.

What?

Almost every one! Cops do not like being told they do not need to see an ID simply because they want to. The cops get POed!

Exactly why if you want a peaceful protest it is easier to be prepared to fully comply with this sort of request.

They checked IDs to make sure they knew who was participating. They want to make sure everyone is identified. They didn't want any spies.

It is laughable to think it was because the police want to check.

Either way it was hypocritical to require IDs to protest against having to show an ID while voting.

Can you find any source that says that the leaders of the march were actually checking people's ids before they could participate?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The new rules that the government is trying to pass to make it harder for people to vote certainly do effect these groups more than other people.

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not look at what laws might be passed. What about the laws you have now?!

You have to provide a form of ID or be identified by a secondary party.

Clearly you are already disenfranchising poor, minorities, and the elderly.

That article proves my point. In a state of over 25 million people, there were 18 cases of voter fraud over a 10 year period. A problem of that magnitude in no way justifies all of the political energy put into it.
One article... of thousands.

Voter fraud being caught without a Voter ID Law. You don't think that would climb? Yes it would! lol... you know it would.

Exactly why if you want a peaceful protest it is easier to be prepared to fully comply with this sort of request.
So violate their rights to fight for rights... that is acceptable?

Violate and unlawfully ask for IDs while protesting about Voter ID Laws.

Keep going! This is great!

And what do you mean "What?" Getting stumped aren't you?

Can you find any source that says that the leaders of the march were actually checking people's ids before they could participate?
Why are we here?

I didn't provide one the last time I voted.

So you broke the law?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So, what part of "a utility bill or friend vouching for you" are you having trouble wrapping your head around?

According to the opponents... it is racist and disenfranchising to poor, minorities , and the elderly to show ANY form of ID.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not look at what laws might be passed. What about the laws you have now?!

You have to provide a form of ID or be identified by a secondary party.

Clearly you are already disenfranchising poor, minorities, and the elderly.

Not all laws are the same. The substance of the law matters. The laws being put forward in the US generally require photo ID.

Canada's laws are much less restrictive, such as allowing a utility bill with your name and address on it to be used, or for someone else to vouch for you.

One article... of thousands.

Voter fraud being caught without a Voter ID Law. You don't think that would climb? Yes it would! lol... you know it would.

The number of articles written about something doesn't change the actual number of incidents that took place.

The second paragraph here is incomprehensible, so I can't really respond to it.

So violate their rights to fight for rights... that is acceptable?

Violate and unlawfully ask for IDs while protesting about Voter ID Laws.

Keep going! This is great!

The organizers of the march are not the ones checking IDs, so this really doesn't make sense.

Why are we here?

Because keeping ID on you was listed on a list of "DOs" along side stuff like "Eat a full breakfast" and "Wear a hat and comfortable shoes".

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
According to the opponents... it is racist and disenfranchising to poor, minorities , and the elderly to show ANY form of ID.

It is a practical issue. Requiring photo ID to vote creates a barrier to voting that was not there before, and the people most greatly affected happen to be minorities, people who are poor, and people who are elderly.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not all laws are the same. The substance of the law matters. The laws being put forward in the US generally require photo ID.

Canada's laws are much less restrictive, such as allowing a utility bill with your name and address on it to be used, or for someone else to vouch for you.

According to the opponents of voter id laws Canada's Laws are downright racist, and disenfranchising to poor, minorities, and elderly!

The number of articles written about something doesn't change the actual number of incidents that took place.

Voter Fraud nevertheless!

But you guys up there are doing the right thing and requiring Canadians to present a form of identification. Some folks down here think its racist!

The organizers of the march are not the ones checking IDs, so this really doesn't make sense.

Because keeping ID on you was listed on a list of "DOs" along side stuff like "Eat a full breakfast" and "Wear a hat and comfortable shoes".

Oooooo... you read it didn't you. The part where they asked people to have an ID.... Oooooo.... Ooooo... Ouch.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
According to the opponents of voter id laws Canada's Laws are downright racist, and disenfranchising to poor, minorities, and elderly!

Voter Fraud nevertheless!

But you guys up there are doing the right thing and requiring Canadians to present a form of identification. Some folks down here think its racist!

Oooooo... you read it didn't you. The part where they asked people to have an ID.... Oooooo.... Ooooo... Ouch.

Did you actually read anything I posted.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It is a practical issue. Requiring photo ID to vote creates a barrier to voting that was not there before, and the people most greatly affected happen to be minorities, people who are poor, and people who are elderly.

Plus it is harder to commit voter fraud when people have to show they are who they are.

Shoot... my parents have IDs. They are elderly. They had IDs when they were young.

And the poor... how do they collect benefits? Actually that isn't a great example because fraud is rampant there!

I am amazed then that you as a Canadian with a Voter ID Law aren't raging in the streets trying to protect your poor, minorities, and elderly if you are so dead set against ID Laws.

Did you actually read anything I posted.

I read Everything...

...You're caught. We both know it.