U.S. soldier kills up to 16 Afghan civilians

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

There's a good chance, the Soldier in question, is ill. A head injury, alcoholism (A recognized illness), likely depression (Another recognized illness).

I'm just wondering why you aren't here, pleading his case

It would have to be proven that due to his mental illness he did not have the capacity to determine that what he was doing was wrong...head injuries, alcoholism, depression and even PTSD does not produce that severe a departure from reality...

If it is shown, and it likely will be, that he knew what he was doing was wrong, then he should stand trial for and be convicted of he attrocities...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It would have to be proven that due to his mental illness he did not have the capacity to determine that what he was doing was wrong...head injuries, alcoholism, depression and even PTSD does not produce that severe a departure from reality...
LOL

Ummm, ya, OK.

Psychotic Depression: Losing Touch With Reality - Depression Center - EverydayHealth.com

Facts about Drugs and Alcohol-Drug and Alcohol

What are the main symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder? - by John Louie Ramos - Helium

Psychosis, Brain Injury, Complications, Causes, Symptoms

Vanni Fucci PWND

Besides that, when you're done making excuses, maybe you could challenge EAO and Ariadne, for promoting capital punishment in this case.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

If it is shown, and it likely will be, that he knew what he was doing was wrong, then he should stand trial for and be convicted of he attrocities...

The insanity defense while used in the US is rarely successful. That said he may be able to use brain trauma as a mitigating factor.
But he will be tried in a Military Court and they are not the same as a civilian court. Very different rules apply.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
The insanity defense while used in the US is rarely successful. That said he may be able to use brain trauma as a mitigating factor.
But he will be tried in a Military Court and they are not the same as a civilian court. Very different rules apply.

Brain trauma would have to have been very recent, and proven to have caused a condition by which he could not be legally culpable for his crimes.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Show me where Staff Sgt Bales was diagnosed with psychotic depression, which one as learned as you should know is very different than your garden variety depression...

No defense for massacres there...

No defense for massacres there either...

Robert Bales May Have Been Psychotic, Says Army's Former Top Psychiatrist Elspeth Ritchie - Seattle News - The Daily Weekly

Ritchie, who left her Army post a couple years ago and is now the chief clinical officer for the District of Columbia's mental health department, says PTSD is associated with "hypervigilance, numbing, flashbacks"--but not the "kind of violence Bales that allegedly committed." Similarly, she says TBI commonly causes nausea and dizziness, but not an impulse to massacre women and children.

There we see that neither PTSD nor Traumatic Brain Injury include psychosis as a symptom.

Instead, Ritchie speculates that Bales may have been having a psychotic episode that left him hearing voices, experiencing delusions or otherwise being out-of-touch with reality.
"Maybe he didn't realize that [the victims] were women and children," Ritchie says in an interview with Seattle Weekly. "Maybe he thought they were the Taliban."

This has not been diagnosed and is pure speculation on the part of the former Army shrink...

Pfft...hardly...

I don't believe this guy should be executed, but neither do I think that he should be found not guilty by reason of insanity unless it is proven that his psychosis was severe enough to cause him to do so...

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Show me where Staff Sgt Bales was diagnosed with psychotic depression, which one as learned as you should know is very different than your garden variety depression...

No defense for massacres there...

No defense for massacres there either...

Robert Bales May Have Been Psychotic, Says Army's Former Top Psychiatrist Elspeth Ritchie - Seattle News - The Daily Weekly

There we see that neither PTSD nor Traumatic Brain Injury include psychosis as a symptom.

This has not been diagnosed and is pure speculation on the part of the former Army shrink...

Pfft...hardly...

Do you have access to his medical records. No - your question is BS

It an take years for PTSD to be diagnosed. Fact

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I see you still haven't grasped the point, but I like PWN'ing you so...

Pfft...hardly...
Your claim...

...head injuries, alcoholism, depression and even PTSD does not produce that severe a departure from reality...

Yes they do, as I pointed out. Especially when you have two or more act in concert.

Vanni Fucci PWND

I think I'll take clinical data over a cherry picked interview in the Seatle Weekly blog thanks.

Do you have access to his medical records. No - your question is BS
In Vanni's defence, neither do I. But given some of the claims that have been made of his actions pre alleged act.

I'm guessing there are some serious issues at play.

It an take years for PTSD to be diagnosed. Fact
True.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Even so, because the clinical definition of PTSD does not include psychosis, PTSD cannot be used as an insanity defense...Fact!

Wrong again. It also leads to psychosis which combined with PTSD is very difficult to treat.

Now perhaps you should find something you know about. Because this ain't it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Even so, because the clinical definition of PTSD does not include psychosis, PTSD cannot be used as an insanity defense...Fact!
Do you know what a "flashback" is?

Ever seen one play out?

It's a break from reality.

Stop moving the goalposts.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
IYes they do, as I pointed out. Especially when you have two or more act in concert.

Evidence to support you claim please

CDNBEear PWND!!

I think I'll take clinical data over a cherry picked interview in the Seatle Weekly blog thanks.

Quoting the US Army's former top psychologist is not good enough for you?

Do you know what a "flashback" is?

Ever seen one play out?

It's a break from reality.

From the link you provided on PTSD:

The signs and symptoms of PTSD are categorized into three major types; the symptoms associated with re-experiencing the incident, avoiding the incident and the sudden increase in anxiety.

Stop moving the goalposts.

You seem to say that a lot when you haven't got a valid rebuttal...perhaps it is you who is experiencing a departure from reality?

Wrong again. It also leads to psychosis which combined with PTSD is very difficult to treat.

Now perhaps you should find something you know about. Because this ain't it.

Leads to psychosis therefore means that it is not a symptom of PTSD, which is exactly what I said...

He has not been diagnosed with any form of psychosis, so therefore I am correct...

Suck it!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sure, since you obviously missed it the first time...

ETA: Again.

CDNBear PWND me!!
FIFY, and CDNBear only has one e.

Not when her cherry picked comments contradict clinical data.

It's not the first time I've seen some expert make mistakes, in an interview. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen an interview hacked by a media outlet.

So when are you going to take on the people pushing for capital punishment? Just askin'.

You seem to say that a lot...
Well, when dealing with the intellectually dishonest and ideologues like yourself, I see it get done a lot. I always feel the need to point it out to them. In the faint hope you'll stop being so dishonest.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

CDNBEear PWND!!

It manifests itself in avoidance of a trigger...not massacre of innocents...

You seem to say that a lot when you haven't got a valid rebuttal...perhaps it is you who is experiencing a departure from reality?

Leads to psychosis therefore means that it is not a symptom of PTSD, which is exactly what I said...

He has not been diagnosed with any form of psychosis, so therefore I am correct...

Suck it!

Wrong again Buckey -
Again - You do not have access to his med records - neither does that report you posted. FACT

PTSD can and does lead to psychosis - Try and read what I wrote. What did that US report state - Psychotic episode
Now suck it up.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
So when are you going to take on the people pushing for capital punishment? Just askin'.

Why would I?

They have their views, and they in no way threaten mine, because theirs will never be realized...

Wrong again Buckey

Oh fun nicknames! Can I call you douche canoe?

Again - You do not have access to his med records - neither does that report you posted. FACT

You're right, I'm just talking out my ass, but then so are you, because you have no access to those records to prove you point either...so how about we both just STFU!

PTSD can and does lead to psychosis - Try and read what I wrote. What did that US report state - Psychotic episode
Now suck it up.

Read what I wrote...I agreed that it can lead to psychosis, but is not a symptom of PTSD, and because there has been no report that he's been diagnosed as having psychotic episodes, we can't make that assumption...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why would I?

Can you differentiate between opinion and fact. Can you Bucky - Start sucking.

They have their views, and they in no way threaten mine, because theirs will never be realized...

As details emerged over the past few days about Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the once admirable soldier accused of massacring Afghan civilians, the horrific crime became even more unfathomable. Some have suggested that PTSD, or the traumatic brain injury he suffered a couple years ago, might have caused him to snap. But Elspeth Ritchie, the Army's former top psychiatrist, thinks there must be more to it.
Ritchie, who left her Army post a couple years ago and is now the chief clinical officer for the District of Columbia's mental health department, says PTSD is associated with "hypervigilance, numbing, flashbacks"--but not the "kind of violence Bales that allegedly committed." Similarly, she says TBI commonly causes nausea and dizziness, but not an impulse to massacre women and children.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why would I?

But you seemed so adamant about not putting down the ill in the other thread.

Even by your own link, it's looking like he may very well have been mentally ill.

I guess you gave up trying to pedal your nonsense, since you ignored the rest of my post.

Good call, I was starting to feel embarrassed for you. Again.