Tsunami relief - who cares?

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
It would seem that only western civilization cares. A report from the area struck by the tsunami gives a little insight.

All across America, Australia, and Europe private citizens have raised enormous sums for tsunami relief.

And, of course, Australian and American military personnel, at great monetary cost and personal risk, have led the way in the massive relief effort underway.

I see, however, no outpouring of support in most of the world's countries. The oil-rich Arabs? Where are they? But most frustrating and even angering is the lack of concern exhibited by average and elite members of the societies most directly affected.

In Jakarta, aside from flags at half-staff, we have seen no signs of mourning for the victims: while employees and dependents of the American embassy spent their holiday loading trucks and putting together medicine kits, the city's inhabitants went ahead with New Year's parties; nightclubs and shopping centers are full; and regular television programming continues.

A relatively senior Sri Lankan official leaned over and said to me, "Why do we want to bother with this? We all know you Americans will do everything."

Right now I’m kinda pissed about my donation. The able peoples of the area struck by disaster, sit around on their fat asses and let western civilization fix their problem. What a crock.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
It would seem that only western civilization cares. A report from the area struck by the tsunami gives a little insight.

All across America, Australia, and Europe private citizens have raised enormous sums for tsunami relief.

And, of course, Australian and American military personnel, at great monetary cost and personal risk, have led the way in the massive relief effort underway.

I see, however, no outpouring of support in most of the world's countries. The oil-rich Arabs? Where are they? But most frustrating and even angering is the lack of concern exhibited by average and elite members of the societies most directly affected.

In Jakarta, aside from flags at half-staff, we have seen no signs of mourning for the victims: while employees and dependents of the American embassy spent their holiday loading trucks and putting together medicine kits, the city's inhabitants went ahead with New Year's parties; nightclubs and shopping centers are full; and regular television programming continues.

A relatively senior Sri Lankan official leaned over and said to me, "Why do we want to bother with this? We all know you Americans will do everything."

Right now I’m kinda pissed about my donation. The able peoples of the area struck by disaster, sit around on their fat asses and let western civilization fix their problem. What a crock.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Why turn one of the biggest human disasters of the 20th century into something about arabs? I was always taught that when you make a donation, you except nothing in return, that the reason you give is out of a geninue concern, and caring and a desire to help those less fortunate than yourself.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Why turn one of the biggest human disasters of the 20th century into something about arabs? I was always taught that when you make a donation, you except nothing in return, that the reason you give is out of a geninue concern, and caring and a desire to help those less fortunate than yourself.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well I saw on Global BC formerly BCTV on their Sunday noon news. That from the past world diasters that only 30-40% of money pledged is actually recieved by who need it.

I tried to find link but there web site sucks now that are are a global affiliate compared to when they were ctv and it is impossible to find anything.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well I saw on Global BC formerly BCTV on their Sunday noon news. That from the past world diasters that only 30-40% of money pledged is actually recieved by who need it.

I tried to find link but there web site sucks now that are are a global affiliate compared to when they were ctv and it is impossible to find anything.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Tsunami relief - who

That 30-40% is generally based on some fallacies, No 1. All the donations are not spent on food, medicine, and building materials, that is true. If aid workers, and that runs the gamut from the top executive to the new guy working the shovel, aren't paid; then there won't be any aid workers. If they cannot pay for transportation, then the aid workers will be sitting in North America and Europe instead of being where they can do some good.

The other thing about all that money that "doesn't make it to the places it's needed" is that the aid workers tend to spend a portion of their incomes in the local economies. They are mostly young people and they are travelling to new places around the world. They act like young people who are travelling...they buy stuff.

Most aid workers also tend to donate a higher percentage of their incomes to the causes they work for than the general population.

There is this general feeling that all aid workers should be volunteers who work for free, even pay their own way to the areas where they are needed. How many people do you know that can afford a non-paying profession?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That 30-40% is generally based on some fallacies, No 1. All the donations are not spent on food, medicine, and building materials, that is true. If aid workers, and that runs the gamut from the top executive to the new guy working the shovel, aren't paid; then there won't be any aid workers. If they cannot pay for transportation, then the aid workers will be sitting in North America and Europe instead of being where they can do some good.

The other thing about all that money that "doesn't make it to the places it's needed" is that the aid workers tend to spend a portion of their incomes in the local economies. They are mostly young people and they are travelling to new places around the world. They act like young people who are travelling...they buy stuff.

Most aid workers also tend to donate a higher percentage of their incomes to the causes they work for than the general population.

There is this general feeling that all aid workers should be volunteers who work for free, even pay their own way to the areas where they are needed. How many people do you know that can afford a non-paying profession?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
peapod said:

I agree with you Peapod, charity comes from the heart and looks for no reward. On the other hand, I share Paco's frustration. I'm tired of hearing all the bellyaching about the west this, the west that, the west the west the west blah blah blah. When the west is responsible for doing good, it doesn't get mentioned, and we're not supposed to mention it.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
peapod said:

I agree with you Peapod, charity comes from the heart and looks for no reward. On the other hand, I share Paco's frustration. I'm tired of hearing all the bellyaching about the west this, the west that, the west the west the west blah blah blah. When the west is responsible for doing good, it doesn't get mentioned, and we're not supposed to mention it.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
peapod said:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I watched the news that stated that also,no1.

However, what they were actually saying is that 30-40% of the money that is pledged
is not received
Meaning that many SAY they'll give money but don't send the cheque. Once the media eye has shifted so has the interest in helping.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I watched the news that stated that also,no1.

However, what they were actually saying is that 30-40% of the money that is pledged
is not received
Meaning that many SAY they'll give money but don't send the cheque. Once the media eye has shifted so has the interest in helping.