Tsunami relief - who cares?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I watched the news that stated that also,no1.

However, what they were actually saying is that 30-40% of the money that is pledged
is not received
Meaning that many SAY they'll give money but don't send the cheque. Once the media eye has shifted so has the interest in helping.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
On the other hand, I share Paco's frustration. I'm tired of hearing all the bellyaching about the west this, the west that, the west the west the west blah blah blah.

You know what? The west got where it is largely by taking advantage of people in developing nations. Sometimes that happened yesterday and sometimes it happened a couple of hundred years ago, but we very much built our wealth on the backs of others. Quit whining about being expected to give something back.

Meaning that many SAY they'll give money but don't send the cheque. Once the media eye has shifted so has the interest in helping.

It's bad enough when individuals do that, but what is far worse is when governments do it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
On the other hand, I share Paco's frustration. I'm tired of hearing all the bellyaching about the west this, the west that, the west the west the west blah blah blah.

You know what? The west got where it is largely by taking advantage of people in developing nations. Sometimes that happened yesterday and sometimes it happened a couple of hundred years ago, but we very much built our wealth on the backs of others. Quit whining about being expected to give something back.

It's bad enough when individuals do that, but what is far worse is when governments do it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

You know what, it's never that simple. The world is built on mutual exploitation my friend. And quit putting words in my mouth. You have tremendous propensity to make things up and carry on like it's something someone said. I never whined about being expected to give something back, even though I don't feel anything is owed in the first place. You couldn't be more wrong.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

You know what, it's never that simple. The world is built on mutual exploitation my friend. And quit putting words in my mouth. You have tremendous propensity to make things up and carry on like it's something someone said. I never whined about being expected to give something back, even though I don't feel anything is owed in the first place. You couldn't be more wrong.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I always presumed that the west gave because they have far more than other nations. Something along the line of gratitude for a life undeserved. Some of us were fortunate enough to born in a place where most of of our basic needs are met, like food, clothing and shelter. Yes I know there are those in need in my own country, but nothing like what is needed in other countries.

Really what difference does it make what religion, race, color you are when you have just lost your entire family and your life's work.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I always presumed that the west gave because they have far more than other nations. Something along the line of gratitude for a life undeserved. Some of us were fortunate enough to born in a place where most of of our basic needs are met, like food, clothing and shelter. Yes I know there are those in need in my own country, but nothing like what is needed in other countries.

Really what difference does it make what religion, race, color you are when you have just lost your entire family and your life's work.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You know what, have a look at history. Do you want to know where our wealth came from? It's all there in the history books, little buddy.

And I never put any words in your mouth. I responded to this statement,
I'm tired of hearing all the bellyaching about the west this, the west that, the west the west the west blah blah blah.
Now you can deny saying that if you want, but it took you at least some effort to type it in and click "submit".

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You know what, have a look at history. Do you want to know where our wealth came from? It's all there in the history books, little buddy.

I'm tired of hearing all the bellyaching about the west this, the west that, the west the west the west blah blah blah.
Now you can deny saying that if you want, but it took you at least some effort to type it in and click "submit".

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Maybe a bit off topic, but I can't stop thinking about a beautiful sentence I heard here. In Dutch: "Hoeveel rampen zijn er nog nodig om de mensheid te verenigen?" In English: "How many disasters have to occur before humanity unites?"

Personally I don't agree with using such terms as "Arabs" in general or "inhabitants of Jakarta" in this discussion. I did read however an interesting article by a Labor party member in the Netherlands who specifically criticized the rich governments in the Gulf region for giving only minimal aid to the region. However, one can also ask the West where they are in Darfur, Congo, Nepal or other places in the world where help is needed? With all respect, but what gives a human life in Indonesia or Sri Lanka more urgency than a life in Congo or Angola?

Yes, we can criticize the governments of the Gulf states for what it seems a lack of help to the victims of the tsunami. But that should also mean we should criticize "ourselves" (the Western governments, and in a lesser extent, a portion of the population in the West) for what it seems our lack of interest to deliver the same help to people in countries like Congo, Angola and Sudan like we are currently giving to those we have been affected.

Although we are not even sure whether all of our help, all of our pledged money will actually arrive in the affected areas, like some of you already pointed out. That should also be a serious point of concern.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Maybe a bit off topic, but I can't stop thinking about a beautiful sentence I heard here. In Dutch: "Hoeveel rampen zijn er nog nodig om de mensheid te verenigen?" In English: "How many disasters have to occur before humanity unites?"

Personally I don't agree with using such terms as "Arabs" in general or "inhabitants of Jakarta" in this discussion. I did read however an interesting article by a Labor party member in the Netherlands who specifically criticized the rich governments in the Gulf region for giving only minimal aid to the region. However, one can also ask the West where they are in Darfur, Congo, Nepal or other places in the world where help is needed? With all respect, but what gives a human life in Indonesia or Sri Lanka more urgency than a life in Congo or Angola?

Yes, we can criticize the governments of the Gulf states for what it seems a lack of help to the victims of the tsunami. But that should also mean we should criticize "ourselves" (the Western governments, and in a lesser extent, a portion of the population in the West) for what it seems our lack of interest to deliver the same help to people in countries like Congo, Angola and Sudan like we are currently giving to those we have been affected.

Although we are not even sure whether all of our help, all of our pledged money will actually arrive in the affected areas, like some of you already pointed out. That should also be a serious point of concern.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

Well there you go. Where in that quote do you get "whining about giving something back". I rest my case.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

Well there you go. Where in that quote do you get "whining about giving something back". I rest my case.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If for some reason everyone in this thread ended up on a deserted island after a plane crash....do you think it would end up like lord of the flies :wink:

Just my own personal opinion, but when people have to tell you what they gave, or who they gave to, than they are giving for the wrong reason, which is not a bad thing...but its a little obvious.

True giving is anonomus.