Tsunami relief - who cares?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If for some reason everyone in this thread ended up on a deserted island after a plane crash....do you think it would end up like lord of the flies :wink:

Just my own personal opinion, but when people have to tell you what they gave, or who they gave to, than they are giving for the wrong reason, which is not a bad thing...but its a little obvious.

True giving is anonomus.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
If for some reason everyone in this thread ended up on a deserted island after a plane crash....do you think it would end up like lord of the flies :wink:

Just my own personal opinion, but when people have to tell you what they gave, or who they gave to, than they are giving for the wrong reason, which is not a bad thing...but its a little obvious.

True giving is anonomus.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Where in that quote do you get "whining about giving something back".

Because that's what you're doing...whining because people, many of them here in the west, expect us to give something back and are critical when we don't. Name a member of the G-7 that met it's 0.7% of GDP goal for aid. You can't because it hasn't happened yet and won't happen if our societal and political attitudes continue to suck as badly as they do.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Because that's what you're doing...whining because people, many of them here in the west, expect us to give something back and are critical when we don't. Name a member of the G-7 that met it's 0.7% of GDP goal for aid. You can't because it hasn't happened yet and won't happen if our societal and political attitudes continue to suck as badly as they do.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Look, personally I would like to see people give because they care about the people who have been affected, and not so they can brag to their friends, relatives etc. about how "good" they are. But there will always be people who give out of the last reason. In the Dutch national TV show to collect money for those affected by the tsunami, there were companies who only gave money under the condition that the name of the company is said out loud and applauded at. That personally makes me sick. But when I hear that they plan to donate 300,000 euros (some 390,000 US dollars if I'm correct), I more tend to think about what can be done with that money than about the motive of the company to give that money in the first place.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Look, personally I would like to see people give because they care about the people who have been affected, and not so they can brag to their friends, relatives etc. about how "good" they are. But there will always be people who give out of the last reason. In the Dutch national TV show to collect money for those affected by the tsunami, there were companies who only gave money under the condition that the name of the company is said out loud and applauded at. That personally makes me sick. But when I hear that they plan to donate 300,000 euros (some 390,000 US dollars if I'm correct), I more tend to think about what can be done with that money than about the motive of the company to give that money in the first place.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

In fact, that's not what I'm doing at all.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Reverend Blair said: