Trudeau’s Newest New Carbon Tax

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault tried to quash speculation he might resign over the weakening of Canada’s carbon price regime, stating Thursday he has no intention of leaving his post.

The question of Guilbeault’s resignation was raised after the environment minister stated in recent media interviews that there will be no more exemptions to the federal carbon price as long as he remains in his job.

I’m busy so I can’t look up where this guys riding is, but I’m curious if somebody has more time.
1700168153989.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
View attachment 20032
View attachment 20033
And then just out of curiosity….Trudeau’s…
View attachment 20034
2 Jewish neighbourhoods. They wont be voting Liberal anylonger.

Keep an eye on Outremont and Mt Royal as well.

In 1931, Laurier, St. Louis and St. Michel had the highest concentration of Jews living within the limits of the city of Montreal, with St. Louis having 54.8% of its population being Jewish, Laurier having 50.9% of its population being Jewish and St. Michel having 38.5% of its population being Jewish. During that year, 23.7% of the population of Outremont was Jewish and 7.3% of the population of Westmount was Jewish.[2]: 33 

Today, the Jewish community is primarily concentrated in Côte St. Luc, Hampstead, Snowdon, and the West Island. Other major Jewish communities exist in Outremont, Park Extension, and Chomedey.[7]

Politics
edit
In the early 20th century, Jewish representatives of the Montreal City Council, the Quebec legislature, and the Canadian parliament originated from Jewish neighbourhoods in Montreal.[3] Jewish politicians were often elected federally in the ridings of Cartier, which exclusively elected Jewish MPs for its entire history from 1925 until it was abolished in 1966, and Mount Royal. The riding of Outremont also has a significant Jewish population. Provincially, the ridings of Montréal–Saint-Louis (later Saint-Louis) and D'Arcy-McGee often elected Jewish candidates.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Anyway, on the selective exemptions for former liberal dominated ridings in Maritime Canada, here’s a news story about Heat Pumps:
They work in some places, and work well as A/C units it sounds like. No so much where there’s winter though.

Tish Jonsson of Winnipeg, Man., said that despite making the switch at her cabin and putting two heat pumps it was “useless for heat in the prairies and northern Canada.".

“Went to the cabin on a Friday evening. Overnight low was -20 C. everything was fine. Next night, it went to -30 .... woke up freezing. The units were off and had to turn on back up baseboards and ceramic heaters. After hours of troubleshooting. Found out that the units don't work past -25 and a few are rated -30,” Jonsson wrote.

Steve Huffman of Courtenay, B.C. said he’s had a heat pump since 2009 and although it works great in the summer with central air conditioning, said winter’s temperatures prove to be a challenge.

“As winter approached and temps dropped to a range of 5 C to -5 C or colder on occasion the heat pump’s efficiency dropped exponentially with it. For each degree the temps dropped below 5 C the (heat pump) ran longer and longer to try and keep the selected 20 C on the thermostat,” Huffman wrote, and added that it took a strain on the heat pump compressor.

Huffman said with heat pumps it’s important to factor in a home's insulation and the max amperage of a home’s electrical service.

Colleen Fisher of Deep Cove, B.C., said she made the switch to a heat pump earlier this year but didn't anticipate a pre-inspection was required in order to qualify for a $5,000 rebate—which was one of her reasons for switching, among environmental and comfort factors, she said in her email.

“They refused to provide me with the rebate. The total cost of my heat pump installation was $27K, so I was really counting on receiving the $5K rebate,” Fisher wrote.

John Murrell of P.E.I said in his province's government has a free heat pump program, but he ran into issues with the system.

“Once the weather turned cold below -10 C, the unit failed to produce heat, and went into frost mode. We ended up with all the plumbing in the house frozen solid and even the toilet. Then we had to get electric heaters as back up and the January electric bill was $850," he said.

“So now we have had to buy another heat source, and turn off the heat pump when the cold sets in. So, trying to be green and save money has cost $3,000 of borrowing for a biomass stove."

Anyway, more at the above link. I’m assuming that the technology will improve to better units that currently don’t exist, & I’m assuming the prices will come down to be even in the same zip-code as the other options…but it would be nice to have those factors in place before we’re eventually forced to adopt sub-standard units for our climate and wallets.

Then there’s this from the frigid wastelands of the United Kingdom:
1700246845575.jpeg

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
In high humidity areas like the wet coast, in near zero temps heat pumps ice up so much they spend more time on defrost than producing heat.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Speaking from Ottawa on Monday, Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault said that Canadians will “grow very concerned” as people understand Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre’s position better. “The idea that someone who aspires to become Prime Minister of Canada doesn’t even believe in climate change… I don’t think Canadians would be very happy about that,” Guilbeault said.
1700640872043.jpeg
I think Guilbeault has a confused idea as to what makes Canadians very happy…

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Speaking from Ottawa on Monday, Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault said that Canadians will “grow very concerned” as people understand Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre’s position better. “The idea that someone who aspires to become Prime Minister of Canada doesn’t even believe in climate change… I don’t think Canadians would be very happy about that,” Guilbeault said.
View attachment 20096
But the moonbat Lesbians....they'll kill themselves if they don't get their way.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Manitoba government has introduced a bill to temporarily lift the provincial tax on fuel starting Jan. 1, 2024.

Premier Wab Kinew promised the measure during the recent election campaign as a way to help people with the rising cost of living. The bill proposes lifting the 14-cent-a-litre tax on gasoline, diesel and natural gas used in motor vehicles from Jan. 1 to the end of June.

"This is the first step of our plan to bring in affordability measures for you," Kinew said Thursday. "We are also going to bring fuel prices under the purview of the Public Utilities Board to be able to get through some of the market failures that we often see when it comes to gasoline prices."
1700794706208.jpeg

Finance Minister Adrien Sala has said the tax suspension could be extended if inflation remains high. He said the government is committed to the temporary lift for a six-month period, but it will be evaluated to decide on whether the government extends it and for how long.

Sala also said Manitobans could save an estimated $250 over the six-month period if the bill is passed. That figure was calculated by the Department of Finance and is an estimate "of what the average family would save over a period of six months," he said.

"Manitobans should have every reason to feel confident that when this legislation passes, they will be benefitting from that 14-cent-per-litre reduction," Sala said.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is calling on the federal and provincial governments to cut gas taxes to save drivers money.

“Manitobans are now paying two carbon taxes they can’t afford,” Gage Haubrich, CTF Prairie Director, said. “Prime Minister Justin Trudeau needs to stop piling more costs on families and scrap both of his carbon taxes that are making life more expensive.”

The CTF’s Gas Tax Honesty Report shows that taxes make up 29 per cent of the pump price in Manitoba. Provincial and federal taxes cost 46 cents per litre of gasoline.

The federal carbon tax currently costs (in Manitoba) 14 cents per litre of gasoline. The federal government imposed a second carbon tax through fuel regulations that took effect on July 1. By 2030, when the fuel regulations are fully implemented, the two carbon taxes will increase the price of gasoline by about 55 cents per litre and cost the average Manitoba family more than $2,100 annually.
Coincidence?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
View attachment 20096
It's laughable that PP doesn't believe in climate change as we ALL KNOW that climate changes constantly and has since human inception. Even the weather changes daily. Besides, his plans are to AX THE TAX which is an excellent idea!! THAT IS THE PLAN!

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's laughable that PP doesn't believe in climate change as we ALL KNOW that climate changes constantly and has since human inception. Even the weather changes daily. Besides, his plans are to AX THE TAX which is an excellent idea!! THAT IS THE PLAN!
He’s got a plan, it’s just incentivized towards creating solutions instead of penalizing average people from driving to work or heating their homes, etc…so lowering a carbon footprint through improved technologies, etc…

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He’s got a plan, it’s just incentivized towards creating solutions instead of penalizing average people from driving to work or heating their homes, etc…so lowering a carbon footprint through improved technologies, etc…
Blue Hydrogen...by far the most logical solution.

It's already in the works but not for us. A big part of LNG is stripping some of the carbon before liquification. Why not all of it?

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Blue Hydrogen...by far the most logical solution.

It's already in the works but not for us. A big part of LNG is stripping some of the carbon before liquification. Why not all of it?
No idea. Hydrogen vehicles, their exhaust is water if I understand that correctly. How does that work at for below 0°C Temps? What keeps an ice buildup from blocking off the exhaust system, sorta like the old “Banana in the pail pipe” senario?
With a frozen ice plug in the exhaust, it would build up big compression fast.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
No idea. Hydrogen vehicles, their exhaust is water if I understand that correctly. How does that work at for below 0°C Temps? What keeps an ice buildup from blocking off the exhaust system, sorta like the old “Banana in the pail pipe” senario?
With a frozen ice plug in the exhaust, it would build up big compression fast.
I assume the water exhaust is in the form of steam. Likely not cool enough to block the exhast pipe. Likely would contribute to some increased ice on the roads in places where temps are significantly below zero.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
First Nations across Ontario are seeking a judicial review of the federal government’s carbon-pricing regime, arguing that Ottawa’s pollution policy unjustly and disproportionately burdens their communities that already face increased hardships because of climate change and poverty.

Chiefs of Ontario, an advocacy organization representing 133 Indigenous communities in the province, and the Attawapiskat First Nation, outline their opposition to the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act in a court document filed Thursday, shortly before Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe ratcheted up his defiance of the carbon levy. Mr. Moe promised to stop applying the levy to residential electric heating costs in his province at the beginning of 2024.

Hmmm…no more carve outs, right Mr Trudeau??

National debate over carbon pricing has dramatically increased after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last month carved out an exemption for home heating oil, which primarily applies to citizens in Atlantic Canada.

The decision sparked accusations of regional favouritism and critics said it undermined the rationale for the levy. The First Nations court challenge highlights the Atlantic Canada decision and contends the legislation contained targeted relief for farmers, fishers and large greenhouse gas-emitters.

First Nations in Ontario allege in court documents that Canada’s carbon-pricing regime leaves their communities worse off than others in the country, violating the principles of reconciliation as well as their constitutional rights. The Chiefs of Ontario and Attawapiskat said they tried to negotiate with the federal government, to no avail, etc…link below:

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
First Nations across Ontario are seeking a judicial review of the federal government’s carbon-pricing regime, arguing that Ottawa’s pollution policy unjustly and disproportionately burdens their communities that already face increased hardships because of climate change and poverty.

Chiefs of Ontario, an advocacy organization representing 133 Indigenous communities in the province, and the Attawapiskat First Nation, outline their opposition to the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act in a court document filed Thursday, shortly before Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe ratcheted up his defiance of the carbon levy. Mr. Moe promised to stop applying the levy to residential electric heating costs in his province at the beginning of 2024.

Hmmm…no more carve outs, right Mr Trudeau??

National debate over carbon pricing has dramatically increased after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last month carved out an exemption for home heating oil, which primarily applies to citizens in Atlantic Canada.

The decision sparked accusations of regional favouritism and critics said it undermined the rationale for the levy. The First Nations court challenge highlights the Atlantic Canada decision and contends the legislation contained targeted relief for farmers, fishers and large greenhouse gas-emitters.

First Nations in Ontario allege in court documents that Canada’s carbon-pricing regime leaves their communities worse off than others in the country, violating the principles of reconciliation as well as their constitutional rights. The Chiefs of Ontario and Attawapiskat said they tried to negotiate with the federal government, to no avail, etc…link below:
Good for them. I notice a lot of the ecoterorists are all in a kerfuffle because many Indian bands are not following the script that was forced on them. Seems along with an education many bands have decided they will plan their own destiny.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I assume the water exhaust is in the form of steam. Likely not cool enough to block the exhast pipe. Likely would contribute to some increased ice on the roads in places where temps are significantly below zero.
Steam in your exhaust system, when you shut off your engine at -25°C would turn into ice quickly I’m assuming. Warm but not hot exhaust system in a Canadian winter would be problematic. At best the exhaust system would rot off quickly?

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Steam in your exhaust system, when you shut off your engine at -25°C would turn into ice quickly I’m assuming. Warm but not hot exhaust system in a Canadian winter would be problematic. At best the exhaust system would rot off quickly?
I guess if it stuck in the pipe and did not run out either as steam or water. I don't think it would freeze directly without going through a water state. I would think some sort of exhaust pipe heater may solve the problem. Stays on 10 minutes after your car turns off or something like that. You may even plug it in like you do your block heaters.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I guess if it stuck in the pipe and did not run out either as steam or water. I don't think it would freeze directly without going through a water state. I would think some sort of exhaust pipe heater may solve the problem. Stays on 10 minutes after your car turns off or something like that. You may even plug it in like you do your block heaters.
Even our ethanol mixing in our gasoline is producing water out of the tailpipes especially on the lower grade fuels, if you idle your vehicle most of the day in -20+ degrees you will produce a 6-8" icicle out of your tailpipe

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Vapour not steam. The reason why ICE exhaust pipes don't clog with ice. After going through the cat a little can condense past the muffle in the tail pipe. With good combustion efficiency, an ICE should be spitting a little water from what was in the air that drip out your pipe in cooler weather. Fuel cells do the same thing.