Trudeau’s Newest New Carbon Tax

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tensions flared on the prickly issue of the carbon tax as the House returned from its break Monday, with Conservatives accusing the Liberals of being “pathologically obsessed” with the tax, while Liberals said the Tories wanted to take “rebate” cheques out of the hands of Canadians.
1706585120928.jpeg
“Oh my God, don’t take away the Tax that redistributes a ‘portion’ back to some that might qualify!! Won’t someone think of the Carbon Taxed Children?”
By attacking the carbon tax, Freeland said, Conservatives want to take carbon-tax rebate cheques out of the hands of Canadian families. “That will hurt Canadians,” she insisted? Has Chrystia Freeland Googled the definition of rebate?
1706585820631.jpeg

Trudeau says “absolutely not” to more carbon tax exemptions beyond potentially Liberal vote sensitive Maritimes!!”​

1706587110883.jpeg

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Tensions flared on the prickly issue of the carbon tax as the House returned from its break Monday, with Conservatives accusing the Liberals of being “pathologically obsessed” with the tax, while Liberals said the Tories wanted to take “rebate” cheques out of the hands of Canadians.
Question? Has the carbon tax changed the habits of Canadians? Are we burning less fuel? Has it had any impact on the global temperature?
They're going to ride this dead horse all the way to 2025, then they will royally fucked even more Canadians.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Question? Has the carbon tax changed the habits of Canadians?
I still have to commute to work, so that hasn’t changed. I still have to heat our home in the winter and I’ve done just about everything I possibly can do to make my home as efficient as I can…so that hasn’t changed.

Discretionary trips just for pleasure or vacation….We really rethink those, so that’s somewhat changed. Didn’t jump in my old Dakota and drive to Jamaica for 10 days for Christmas or anything this time around.
Are we burning less fuel?
Does it matter? It (the carbon tax) escalates every year regardless, so eventually you reached the minimum amount you could possibly use minus discretionary and luxury uses, which are gone….& and it will go up annually anyway taking more from your pockets.
Has it had any impact on the global temperature?
Not a sniff. Canada is below irrelevant and a rounding air on China’s emissions alone.

The one thing we could’ve done that would’ve made a potentially significant difference…was to export natural gas to other countries that are using coal for electrical generation and heat…. Replacing their coal with our natural gas…but not woke enough so not selfie worthy so no go.
They're going to ride this dead horse all the way to 2025, then they will royally fucked even more Canadians.
It’s good to have goals.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Discretionary trips just for pleasure or vacation….We really rethink those, so that’s somewhat changed. Didn’t jump in my old Dakota and drive to Jamaica for 10 days for Christmas or anything this time around.
Go for it. There are no carbon emissions in that as long as you stay with a family friend at their gala estate.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
View attachment 20935
“Oh my God, don’t take away the Tax that redistributes a ‘portion’ back to some that might qualify!! Won’t someone think of the Carbon Taxed Children?”
By attacking the carbon tax, Freeland said, Conservatives want to take carbon-tax rebate cheques out of the hands of Canadian families. “That will hurt Canadians,” she insisted? Has Chrystia Freeland Googled the definition of rebate?
View attachment 20936

Trudeau says “absolutely not” to more carbon tax exemptions beyond potentially Liberal vote sensitive Maritimes!!”​

View attachment 20937
Not being a high and mighty finance minister or anything, but it seems to me that we would be much farther ahead by not paying the tax in the first place. Not only that, but we could eliminate two whole bureaucracies. The one that collects the tax, and the one that cuts the rebate cheques.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not being a high and mighty finance minister or anything, but it seems to me that we would be much farther ahead by not paying the tax in the first place. Not only that, but we could eliminate two whole bureaucracies. The one that collects the tax, and the one that cuts the rebate cheques.
The carbon tax makes the necessities of life, like getting around, staying warm and buying food more expensive.

A government can’t tax its citizens, charge its sales tax on top of its carbon tax, spend hundreds of millions of dollars to administer it and then somehow make the vast majority of Canadians better off with rebates.

Making it more expensive for Canadians to fuel up or heat their home won’t solve an international problem, especially when the vast majority of countries (including our biggest trading partner and competitor) do not impose a national carbon tax.
Yes there is. Unless it's not a scam in your mind.

Washington's CO2 tax ends the year at about 43 cents a gallon, but increases are coming. Washington's new tax on CO2 emissions ended up adding about 43 cents per gallon of gas for 2023.
Washington State, not Washington DC, I’m assuming?

“The (Canadian) federal government is considering a rebrand of the rebate program for its carbon pricing system in an attempt to tackle what it calls confusion and misconceptions about the scheme,” the Star reported.

The Canadian Parliamentary Budget Officer considered all the costs that come with the carbon tax, finding about 60% of households are worse off this year, even after the rebates. By 2030, about 80% of households will be worse off in most provinces.
1706679737755.jpeg

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Question? Has the carbon tax changed the habits of Canadians? Are we burning less fuel? Has it had any impact on the global temperature?
Well, the carbon tax worked this weekend in Cape Breton at least. Sounds horrible, but warm enough for heat pumps to still work so that’s a plus.
1707096540154.jpeg
1707096680506.jpeg
Cape Breton Regional Municipality has declared a local state of emergency as the region grapples with a winter storm that could bring as much as 150 centimetres of snow by the time it passes. That’s 5 feet, without the drifts. Gruesome.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It sure as hell changed their posting habits on the internet. Now they're bitching about the carbon tax, instead of bitching about True Dope allegedly being the bastard child of Fidel Castro.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's cold in Nova Scotia. That PROVES carbon dioxide is not a greenhouse gas!
It’s +1°C = 32°F in Cape Breton. Thankfully in that Shit-Storm snow & blow, it’s not cold. That’s what I was saying above.

Heat Pumps, as long as you keep them dug out, still work effectively in that weather. That’s a plus.
1707099895608.jpeg
The amount of snowfall is horrible, and the blow makes it worse, but it’s relatively warm. Should alleviate worries of drought this year.

Honourable mention to PEI:

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It sure as hell changed their posting habits on the internet. Now they're bitching about the carbon tax, instead of bitching about True Dope allegedly being the bastard child of Fidel Castro.
I don't dwell on it. They do look somewhat alike, and according to The Rolling Stones, Margaret was a bit of a Free Spirit.
So, it's possible.
We've been bitching about the carbon tax since its conception and suggestion. I have, Petros has, right here on CC, and this was when Harper was the PM.
People are sheep, and the media has sold people out by carrying water for the government.
These people who want to keep Trudeau in power, I wonder how long they think his style of politics will be sustainable.
I think the allegations coming from the GREEN slush fund and how MPs were giving grants to their own companies is going to show the corruption of this government, but they'll be erasing hard drives.

Shit we need an election.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dixie Cup

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I don't dwell on it. They do look somewhat alike, and according to The Rolling Stones, Margaret was a bit of a Free Spirit.
So, it's possible.
We've been bitching about the carbon tax since its conception and suggestion. I have, Petros has, right here on CC, and this was when Harper was the PM.
People are sheep, and the media has sold people out by carrying water for the government.
These people who want to keep Trudeau in power, I wonder how long they think his style of politics will be sustainable.
I think the allegations coming from the GREEN slush fund and how MPs were giving grants to their own companies is going to show the corruption of this government, but they'll be erasing hard drives.

Shit we need an election.
Call Jagmet . He won’t answer , but .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Here's some numbers. Not the whole story, I imagine, but it appears greenhouse gas emissions are coming down.

Linky-dinky.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Here's some numbers. Not the whole story, I imagine, but it appears greenhouse gas emissions are coming down.

Linky-dinky.
Meanwhile in Paris...

Alberta oil production hit an all-time record in November, as oilsands companies ramped up output to prepare for the imminent completion of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

The Alberta Energy Regulator says crude oil production in the province rose by 8.8 per cent in November to a new historic high of 4.2 million barrels per day.

Alberta averaged 3.8 million barrels per day of oil production in the first eleven months of 2023, up 1.6 per cent from 2022 and five per cent higher than the same period in 2021.

Saskatchewan puts out 500,000 barrels a day.

Last edited:

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Linky-dinky.
Don't believe everything you read on a Government of Canada website. Another Liberal Prime Minister portrayed Afghanistan as a Peace Keeping Mission on that same website after we deployed our troops. Post 911. They're sneaky that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: petros