Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Reactions: taxslave and petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Trudeau phoning the president of Phizer is hilarious. Like he is so important that they better listen. Sometimes it is nice to have an "or else" to go along with the threat.

JT has a masters degree in micro management. Can it be that he hasn't got any better use of his time than to interfere with trained professionals. Can't remember if he was a drama teacher or phys ed. Of course Dad was PM as well.

The more I see the more he proves that he wasn't ready and now the party is on until he goes through his nine lives. Five already gone.

Cherub786

Nominee Member
Jan 24, 2021
There's no question Trudeau lacks the charisma and personality of his dad. He often comes across as a car salesman. That is painfully evident in pretty much every press conference I've seen him address. But then again the typical Canadian is, from my experience, very colorless and lacking in magnetism. After all, this is a people whose number one topic of conversation is the weather. But in terms of policy and governance, I think the Trudeau government deserves a B or B+. Keystone is important, but our hands are tied if the Americans don't co-operate. America is our elder brother, maybe even our daddy

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
There's no question Trudeau lacks the charisma and personality of his dad. He often comes across as a car salesman. That is painfully evident in pretty much every press conference I've seen him address. But then again the typical Canadian is, from my experience, very colorless and lacking in magnetism. After all, this is a people whose number one topic of conversation is the weather. But in terms of policy and governance, I think the Trudeau government deserves a B or B+. Keystone is important, but our hands are tied if the Americans don't co-operate. America is our elder brother, maybe even our daddy
The key issue with the Biden admin is that Trudeau failed to show and convince Biden that Keystone p/l actually benefits both countries very well because it’s use actually LOWERS the carbon footprint by using heavy oil from Canada as compared to the use of heavy oil from Venezuela or Saudi A.

So it’s all Trudeau’s fault.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I posted the below in a different thread but I'm sticking it here too. Lets see which thread has the longest legs.....

Well, looks like the Alberta border might soon start at the western edge of New Brunswick: http://nationalpost.com/news/politi...-to-avoid-shutdown-of-key-line-5-oil-pipeline

Officials in Michigan are looking to force the shutdown of Line 5, a pipeline carrying 540,000 barrels of oil and other petroleum products each day from Superior, Wis., to refineries in Sarnia, Ont. If successful, Canadian officials warn, the move would have a devastating impact on the Canadian economy, vaporizing thousands of jobs and cutting off a crucial supply of gasoline and jet fuel to Ontario and Quebec.

If only Canada had something like a pipeline from the the west to the farther eastern extremity of what might soon be in the same whipped situation as Western Canada (....but Greta & Wokeness?) inside Canada (=above the Great lakes through Thunder bay etc....) to protect our national interests. Justin better start consulting First Nations in BC right now to get approval to get Oil & Gas from Alberta & Saskatchewan across Canada east to Ontario & Quebec (or we could call them Alberta2 & Alberta3). If only someone would have envisioned a need for something like this and perhaps we could have called it something like "Energy East" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_East or something catchy like that? Shame....but maybe there might be some pipe sitting from the cancelled Keystone permit...but in the current political climate created in the last 5yrs....can't see something like this getting built....unless Trudeau isn't going to treat Ontario & Quebec like Saskatchewan & Alberta?? Anyway....

The bottom line, in terms of the economy, is it’s a big threat,” said Joe Comartin, the Canadian government’s consul-general in Detroit. Stakes in the project are high enough that Michigan’s decision “certainly has the potential for damaging our relationship” with the United States, he said in an interview. You know, unlike the 100,000 jobs thrown to the wolves in the West in the oil & gas industry.

Line 5 is yet another point of contention between the U.S. and Canada on the energy file after President Joe Biden revoked a permit for Keystone XL on his first day in office. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a long-time supporter of Keystone XL, expressed disappointment but ultimately “acknowledged” the president’s decision. The decision angered some Western leaders, particularly Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, whose government took a $1.5-billion equity stake in the project.

Ontario has warned that shutting down Line 5 would cut off nearly half of the crude oil it needs to make petroleum products such as gasoline. All of the jet fuel used at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport is made in Sarnia, and distributed through Line 5. It also carries propane used to heat homes in northern Michigan and Ontario, and supports thousands of jobs on both sides of the border. Line 5 is part of Enbridge’s mainline system, which delivers roughly 2.8 million barrels of oil — more than half of Canada’s total production — from northern Alberta to the U.S. Midwest every day. More at the above LINK.

Reactions: taxslave and Mowich

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

House Republicans bring bill to reauthorize Keystone XL pipeline, cut Biden out of process​

Legislation would remove the requirement for a presidential permit

In this Dec. 18, 2020, file photo, pipes to be used for the Keystone XL pipeline are stored in a field near Dorchester, Neb. (Chris Machian /Omaha World-Herald via AP) ** FILE **

By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 2, 2021
Scores of House Republicans on Tuesday introduced legislation to reauthorize the Keystone XL pipeline, decrying President Biden’s day-one order canceling the project as “catastrophic for American workers and families.”

The Keystone XL Pipeline Construction and Jobs Preservation Act, cosponsored by 85 Republicans, would give the go-ahead to build and operate the pipeline while declaring that a presidential permit such as the one rescinded by Mr. Biden is no longer required.
https://paid.outbrain.com/network/r...9ZLU3gNpbpvQLa080OrW3e9EHcBjbU&c=ead66709&v=3

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The Keystone XL was first proposed in 2005, when the oil supply in the US was defendant on imports. With the shale oil boom the need for Canadian oil in the US is severely reduced, so much so that Alberta oil sells at a heavily discounted rate compared to global prices. Better for Alberta and Canada to pick up the pace on the TMX, and maybe get Energy East back on the table. Tidewater access and being able to sell on the global market without the US as middlemen would be best for the Canadian oil industry.

The biggest user of fossil fuels after the US is China, and with a west coast port we'd have a bit of an edge than a lot of US suppliers. The supertankers popular for moving oil away from the Gulf Coast refinery cluster are too bif to get through the Panama Canal and must travel around the tip of South America to reach Asian markets. Canada's oil leaving the west coast of BC can get to China and SE Asia at a competitive price.

I think, if you did a little digging, you'd find that any Americans fighting in favour of the Keystone XL, which offers a more direct route from Alberta to the Gulf Coast, are connected to the US oil industry somehow. It's just business.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You still believe the only source of Canadian oil is bitumen? You never knew we had the shale boom either?

Wow. Just wow.

Question. Which region is the 6th largest oil producer in North America, what types of oils and how is it sourced?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I think the answer might lie in the Bakken shale field that crosses the border into Saskatchewan.

Reactions: taxslave

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I think the answer might lie in the Bakken shale field that crosses the border into Saskatchewan.
That's probably what he's talking about, although it accounts for only 10 % of Canadian oil production. Alberta clocks in at 80%, which includes the 63% that comes out of the oilsands.

That is all academic though, the big issue is our lack of access to international markets. Almost all of our exports go to the US, 98-99% to be precise. The stuff moving to the west coast by the current TransMountain pipeline and by rail accounts for two percent of our total exports or less. Mexico sells a heavy crude product called Mexican Maya which is similar to Western Canada Select, the main export out of Alberta. OilPrice.com quotes the price for WCS today at $44.73US/bbl while Maya is fetching $55.64US. Go figure.