Trudeau Liberals surge ahead over Conservatives

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Our current MP is unlikely to get my vote. The only time we hear from him is during an election call. Last election I emailed all the candidates on behalf of me and my son (his first election) and we got to do a phone call/interview with one and the other actually came to visit our house. The MP arranged a time but never showed up (it was a call as well). Tried rescheduling once but again a no-show. Then no more responses.

The last provincial election I voted NDP because I did not like the local Conservative candidate and would not vote for Katherine Wyne's Liberals here if my life depended on it although the local candidate was good. She actually got in (one of the 6). The Conservative lost by under 100 votes. I am thinking they could have won if they had a better candidate.

Usually I vote for the party unless the local candidate is a slimeball. If he/she is, then I vote for the least objectionable alternative.

Same for our local MP, though he does mass send outs for stuff at Christmas... :rolleyes:

Our local Green is a great lady and even out on mat leave she's keeping up on things. We had an 'appreciation' event for the people who have been stuck in limbo with the Government for 2+ years over contracts. Our local hospital has had issues because our Premier is a jackass. She's always there and involved which is hugely appreciated.

I try to avoid party voting. Last election I didn't like Trudeau or the local MP, so I voted elsewhere. Likely will do the same now.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Finding that least objectionable can be difficult. If one discounts the party they kowtow to, it sometimes becomes easier.
I do have an elimination process that sort of works. But you have to be somewhat engaged. At the local all candidates meeting ask all of them if they represent the citizens or the party. If they give a long monologue on what their party will do to you, they are out.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
It's an easy decision for me this time around. Our two term NDP incumbent has serve his constituents well, pushing a couple of private members' bill through that helped local employment and local environmental concerns, so I will have no problem supporting him. The deeper we get in to this campaign the more O'Toole and Trudeau are looking the same, neither with policies strong enough to move us away from the status quo of corporate control and financial privilege.

• Sad
Reactions: Mowich

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It's an easy decision for me this time around. Our two term NDP incumbent has serve his constituents well, pushing a couple of private members' bill through that helped local employment and local environmental concerns, so I will have no problem supporting him. The deeper we get in to this campaign the more O'Toole and Trudeau are looking the same, neither with policies strong enough to move us away from the status quo of corporate control and financial privilege.
Corporate control and financial privilege . Yikes boy I learned at a young age that the guy with the dollars gets the girl .

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

'Anaemic' Liberal brand fails to motivate Canadians to vote them into majority government, Maru poll finds

Devika Desai 4 hrs ago

The Maru Public Opinion survey found that 73 per cent of Canadians polled are open to voting for a party to run the country other the Liberals led by Trudeau, while a mere 27 per cent have remained loyal to the prime minister.

The poll surveyed 1,514 Canadians between August 28 and 29 with a margin of error of +/- 2.5 per cent.

Trudeau on Aug. 14 called a snap election for Sept. 20, arguing that Canadians deserved a say in the national fight to end the COVID-19 pandemic.......More

Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
MONTREAL, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Canada's Liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau finds himself behind in polls ahead of a snap election he called hoping his management of the COVID-19 crisis would propel him to victory. http://www.reuters.com/world/americ...ires-trudeau-who-now-trails-polls-2021-09-03/

Trudeau called the Sept. 20 election last month, two years ahead of schedule. At the time, his Liberals were well ahead and looked likely to regain the majority in parliament they lost in 2019. His main rival, Conservative leader Erin O'Toole, has repeatedly attacked him for calling a vote during the pandemic. One Liberal strategist said on Friday the early-vote call had backfired as it was seen as "wrong" and "greedy" by electors.

If these numbers hold up on election day, O'Toole would most likely win a minority administration. On Thursday, the Conservative leader came out of a French-language leaders' debate without suffering much damage. During the exchanges, Trudeau said that if there were to be another minority government, there would most likely be another election in 18 months. read more

"We should not be in a campaign. Only Mr. Trudeau wanted this campaign for his own personal interests," O'Toole told reporters on Friday. "And last night, he threatened another election if he doesn't get his way with this one. Canadians deserve better than that," he said after a campaign announcement in Montreal.

Liberal strategists expressed hope their fortunes will improve if Canadians start paying more attention next week after Monday's Labor Day holiday and two more debates. During the last two election campaigns, Trudeau won crucial support late by telling Canadians a vote for the New Democrats - who compete for the same left-leaning segment of the electorate - would split progressives resulting in a Conservative government. http://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/08...-vote-for-harper-i-mean-scheer-i-mean-otoole/

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Witch Hunt

The night is black
Without a moon
The air is thick, and still
The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torchlit hill
Features distorted in the flickering light
The faces are twisted and grotesque
Silent and stern in the sweltering night
The mob moves like demons possesed
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right -
Confident their ways are best
The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat, and burn, and kill
They say there are strangers, who threaten us
In our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness, too dangerous
In our theatres and bookstore shelves
Those who know what's best for us -
Must rise and save us from ourselves
Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear
Walk hand in hand

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This election is hollow. It is without centre. It is without national purpose. It is idle, contrived, opportunistic, premature and cynical. It is just a Liberal game.

Everyone knows it is. The public, the press, the politicians, and if a pandemic could be said to have a personality, the pandemic knows it, too. http://apple.news/A5MAeysUCT7qzuaZLTjZDMA

Consider. Justin Trudeau perspires with sincerity about his concern for Canada’s native peoples and the feminist cause and, effectively, chases one of his top female colleagues, Jody Wilson-Raybould, Canada’s first Indigenous justice minister (buy her book next week) out of his cabinet for the benefit of a Quebec-based company, SNC-Lavalin. The cake not quite devoured, he loses another top female, another first-class achiever, a proven humanitarian and a doctor (could be helpful in a pandemic), Jane Philpott. The “equity” principle, female-empowerment strutting, was always just a banner for this bunch.

Trudeau and his family have a working relationship with two charity impresarios and real estate entrepreneurs, Craig and Marc Kielburger of WE Charity. They get the attendance of the mother, wife and brother of the prime minister at their carnival rallies, and of course the prime minister himself. Then in a unique moment of “monetary policy,” WE is hired to splash around close to a billion taxpayers’ dollars on behalf of their PM friend, and to top it off, are offered a $43-million fee for the pleasure of playing political Santa Claus.

It blows up. But the Liberals close down any real investigation. They filibuster the committees. They prorogue Parliament. WE becomes THEM.
The pandemic gives Trudeau the chance to gut the functioning of Parliament and he eagerly grabs it. He has, under what deals we do not know, the supine obeisance of the NDP or the Bloc for what issues he cares about. He retires hermit-like for a whole year and more into his retreat cottage, from which he emerges every morning to the tent-huddled, compliant press to splash billions and billions of dollars on the project of the day. “I’m spending your money so you don’t have to spend your money.” No real accountability. The auditor general is left pleading for resources to deal with the spending. And is denied.

In the meantime, there is sexual scandal in the top ranks of our military. The male-feminist-led administration plays with it for years, slights it, drags it out. Even in the moment of this useless campaign they have a candidate under multiple allegations, but he is allowed to stay until the hypocrisy for this feminist-first party becomes too much. He then “resigns.”

This catalogue could be grossly extended. But let us look to where it has brought the Liberals and their leader.

All the shine is gone. All of it. No one, except the deepest partisans, buys the male-feminist gig anymore. That special, moral relationship Trudeau so fulsomely embraced with our First Nations people has evaporated — forgive a cruel pun — with the boil-water advisories he pledged to end. All show, all talk; no action.

Most of all, the whole persona is dead. The progressive, woke prime minister has lost all glitter and glow. Vogue is no longer calling. He is a politician, and only a politician, just like all the other politicians he once so angrily denounced and looked down upon. He who once was sunny is now, according to the best sources, calling up his “ferocity.” (That’s a really good one.)

The style that wore so well at first grows cloying. The drama-speak hesitations. That urgent, breathless “sincerity-tone” — called upon for all those sensitivity-displaying apologies — grinds on the nerves. What once attracted, repels. And with the loss of the “style” is the loss of Trudeau’s chief gift. It was never the looks, which are special. Nor even the name, though that gave him an elevator ride to the top. It was always the style.

That was the clincher. It was the Care Bear woke persona, the champion of every stylish cause and the exhibitionist-in-chief of every progressive virtue. Now in this election he himself called, he is out there like any other drowning politician grabbing at any river-bank straw — abortion, assault rifles, Stephen Harper, vaccination mandates — that might slow his drop at the polls.

No talk of Afghanistan though. No talk to the Canadian soldiers about what this says about Canada’s costly mission, the lives and limbs lost. Ten-dollar daycare, yes. One-time $500 to seniors over 75, yes. Of course a ritual invocation of Stephen Harper every second day. Afghanistan? Not even in the debate.

But: Why did you have to call this election? Why, in pandemic Canada, are we having this election?

For that no answer — because there is none that is not shameful — can be offered.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
That baby burns through jet fuel at a rate of 5530 kg/hr JUST to transport the little fuck around on his election campaign that no one but him wanted. Thank goodness he's such a caretaker for the environment and so concerned about climate change.

Now normally the A310-300 is regarded as "fuel cost efficient" and low emissions as far as airliners go but that's only when it's at capacity, typically between 190 and 280 passengers depending on the layout.

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose