Trucker protest at U.S. border crossing reportedly several kilometres long

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room.

A retarded 16 year old kid with glaucoma could drive a truck. Maybe this convoy might want to think about that as these drivers can all be easily replaced.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
And before you jump all over me for that statement, I lift boxes for a living.

In other words, a 16 year old retarded girl with glaucoma could replace me at any given point. But you don't hear me complaining about vaccines like those truckers. I'm triple vaxxed.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room.

A retarded 16 year old kid with glaucoma could drive a truck. Maybe this convoy might want to think about that as these drivers can all be easily replaced.
I’m in the transport now, and your 16-year-old kid with glaucoma doesn’t meet the age requirement for the US,

But get me half a dozen of them with 1A licences, clean drivers abstracts, years of experience, able to work independently loading and unloading cargo, knowledge base of all the state and provincial laws that will pertain to them as well as permanent aspects to their loads, and knowledge of electronic logging devices, and able to pass preemployment drug and alcohol tests and the knowledge that they’re going to be in a random pool and they could be drawn at any time for Salavia and piss tests…. And intelligent and able to fill out all the documentation needed and necessary for this industry, and reliable and punctual….. and again in the proper each category and I will take several of them from you please!!!!

i’m sure we could work out some kind of a finders fee per head even!!!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
alright you two, get a kitchen!
Heh-heh. I was at the store today getting ingredients. I was picking out an onion and a few potatoes, when an older Black woman asked me, in an obvious Caribbean accent, "You know how to cook?" I allowed as how I did and said I was making a shepherd's pie for the weekend. She said solemnly, "It's good for a man to know how to cook." I said "That's what I tell the young fellas. Being able to cook'll get you a woman faster and better than big muscles or a big wallet." She grinned and said "Or a big DEEK!" We shared a chuckle.

It was a good day.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
was that about when you deked outa there?

my dad's parents were Jamaican, oh I did love my grandmother's black-eyed peas dish, though that memory's so old I can't even remember what she served with it... maybe plaintain, not sure.

yeah, if ya love to eat, ya learn to cook. Spent years as a kid watching my mom cook, while my older brothers were outside beating each other up. Now I can cook, and they suck! lol

(go truckers, go!)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Well, well, well….

I'm pretty alarmed and EXTREMELY CONFUSED by the trickle of misplaced anger headed towards Ottawa, and wanted to share my perspective on this topic in case any of my friends supporting the so-called freedom convoy maybe aren't familiar with the realities of vulnerable Canadians for whom vaccine mandates have been put in place to protect.

For example, say you're an able-bodied 33 year old white male or female who is pretty confident that you'll survive covid and have "done your own research" and decided you don't need a vaccine because you're strong and healthy. So, without a vaccine mandate, you won't get vaccinated. But then what happens if you transmit covid to a friend or family member who works as a PSW and provides attendant services to a young adult with a severe physical disability? Best case scenario? That PSW notices their symptoms right away, tests positive, stays home and isolates. In this scenario, the client is now short staffed and has to sacrifice some if not all of their daily care routine. I'd suggest following some disability advocates on social media to hear stories about people going 10+ days without a shower because of staffing shortages (due to covid cases soaring) before you talk about your "freedoms". And this is a best case scenario. Worst case scenario? The PSW is asymptomatic, and unwittingly passes covid along to their immunocompromised client who gets severely ill because of their comorbidities and dies. Was their loss of dignity or death worth your "freedom"?

There are so many more examples of this where you sub in a different marginalized community (instead of a person with a disability) and end up with the same outcome.

So let's be very clear: public health mandates are put in place to protect society's most vulnerable. Letting covid run rampant and continue to mutate into potentially more dangerous variants is DIRECTLY infringing the freedoms of people who were not born with the privilege of being able-bodied and (predominantly) white.

And these types of mandates are not new!!! We ban certain types of snacks from schools to protect people who were born with allergies. We put speed limits on highways to protect people from dangerous drivers. Vaccine mandates specifically have been put in place to protect people who DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE when it comes to their risk levels with covid. People like my brother and many of our friends with disabilities, my elderly grandparents, anyone whose immune system has been compromised due to cancer treatments or a multitude of other chronic illnesses… the list goes on. What these mandates are not put in place for is to protect white able bodied men and women who for a variety of unfair systemic reasons are probably not going to die if they get covid. If you fall into this category of privilege and you are protesting these mandates then shame on you.

Make no mistake, I wholeheartedly believe our governments (at alllllll levels) deserve this level of criticism. There are sooooo many excellent reasons we should be rallying in Ottawa. But it is TERRIFYING to see organizers with (literal) white nationalist roots like the Maverick Party leaders try to capitalize on misinformation and manipulate people into thinking their "freedom" has been infringed upon (they'll use any cause to get attention and promote themselves.) The amount of energy this shitshow has sucked up is insane. Imagine if $4M was used to build a water treatment plant in a First Nations community living under a boil water advisory? Or to increase addiction and mental health support services? Or to support refugee claimants who have fled *legitimate* dictatorships and come to Canada seeking a better life? Or if all these people were getting riled up over actually stopping climate change? Or increasing taxes on the super wealthy?? Or to fight for better living conditions and support systems for people with disabilities? Or to protest police violence against Black communities? I would be there with fucking bells (and a mask) on.

So if you can support this "movement" despite its racist roots AND after hearing what the effects of covid are on people less privileged than you and you STILL think your personal "freedom" has value above all else, I am horrified. Shame on you and your selfishness.

"The point is that though it may be up to you what risks you run for yourself, it is not purely up to you what risks you impose on others." -

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...UwVl1iOgeNOVyflrSzacsB4Al4uwLt4XoAcpdJRFQ-qps

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Well, well, well….

I'm pretty alarmed and EXTREMELY CONFUSED by the trickle of misplaced anger headed towards Ottawa, and wanted to share my perspective on this topic in case any of my friends supporting the so-called freedom convoy maybe aren't familiar with the realities of vulnerable Canadians for whom vaccine mandates have been put in place to protect.

For example, say you're an able-bodied 33 year old white male or female who is pretty confident that you'll survive covid and have "done your own research" and decided you don't need a vaccine because you're strong and healthy. So, without a vaccine mandate, you won't get vaccinated. But then what happens if you transmit covid to a friend or family member who works as a PSW and provides attendant services to a young adult with a severe physical disability? Best case scenario? That PSW notices their symptoms right away, tests positive, stays home and isolates. In this scenario, the client is now short staffed and has to sacrifice some if not all of their daily care routine. I'd suggest following some disability advocates on social media to hear stories about people going 10+ days without a shower because of staffing shortages (due to covid cases soaring) before you talk about your "freedoms". And this is a best case scenario. Worst case scenario? The PSW is asymptomatic, and unwittingly passes covid along to their immunocompromised client who gets severely ill because of their comorbidities and dies. Was their loss of dignity or death worth your "freedom"?

There are so many more examples of this where you sub in a different marginalized community (instead of a person with a disability) and end up with the same outcome.

So let's be very clear: public health mandates are put in place to protect society's most vulnerable. Letting covid run rampant and continue to mutate into potentially more dangerous variants is DIRECTLY infringing the freedoms of people who were not born with the privilege of being able-bodied and (predominantly) white.

And these types of mandates are not new!!! We ban certain types of snacks from schools to protect people who were born with allergies. We put speed limits on highways to protect people from dangerous drivers. Vaccine mandates specifically have been put in place to protect people who DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE when it comes to their risk levels with covid. People like my brother and many of our friends with disabilities, my elderly grandparents, anyone whose immune system has been compromised due to cancer treatments or a multitude of other chronic illnesses… the list goes on. What these mandates are not put in place for is to protect white able bodied men and women who for a variety of unfair systemic reasons are probably not going to die if they get covid. If you fall into this category of privilege and you are protesting these mandates then shame on you.

Make no mistake, I wholeheartedly believe our governments (at alllllll levels) deserve this level of criticism. There are sooooo many excellent reasons we should be rallying in Ottawa. But it is TERRIFYING to see organizers with (literal) white nationalist roots like the Maverick Party leaders try to capitalize on misinformation and manipulate people into thinking their "freedom" has been infringed upon (they'll use any cause to get attention and promote themselves.) The amount of energy this shitshow has sucked up is insane. Imagine if $4M was used to build a water treatment plant in a First Nations community living under a boil water advisory? Or to increase addiction and mental health support services? Or to support refugee claimants who have fled *legitimate* dictatorships and come to Canada seeking a better life? Or if all these people were getting riled up over actually stopping climate change? Or increasing taxes on the super wealthy?? Or to fight for better living conditions and support systems for people with disabilities? Or to protest police violence against Black communities? I would be there with fucking bells (and a mask) on.

So if you can support this "movement" despite its racist roots AND after hearing what the effects of covid are on people less privileged than you and you STILL think your personal "freedom" has value above all else, I am horrified. Shame on you and your selfishness.

"The point is that though it may be up to you what risks you run for yourself, it is not purely up to you what risks you impose on others." -

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...UwVl1iOgeNOVyflrSzacsB4Al4uwLt4XoAcpdJRFQ-qps

Just wanted to say that, with Horizon Health in NB, each employee is given rapid tests; five boxes each with a requirement to test three days a week (suggested Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday). Symptoms or not.

If you're positive, you call Employee Health and are out until your actual Covid test determines if it's a true positive test or perhaps a false positive.

There's currently one worker in my department who has it, got it last week, won't be back until next (hopefully). Others in my department who are around her more than I are monitoring/testing daily.

Working nights does have some benefits.

"Make no mistake, I wholeheartedly believe our governments (at alllllll levels) deserve this level of criticism. There are sooooo many excellent reasons we should be rallying in Ottawa."

Absolutely this. There is blame to be placed on all levels...

But what's going on right now with this trucker thing... WON'T help anything.