Tory G8 abortion stance

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The ranting about the 'religious right' wanting to ban abortions completely skips over the predominantly-Catholic Liberal Party, where many members would ban abortions, as it is completely against their faith.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Religious right is an important part of conservative base, so is Alberta. Both are strongly against all abortions, their ultimate aim is to ban all abortion in Canada.

That aim remains elusive. As a start they want to deny money to women in the poor, third world countries to get abortions.

This is a purely ideological position, purely religious position, nothing more. But it really exposes the true agenda of Harper. If he does get the majority, will he try to ban all abortions in Canada? It is quite likely, in my opinion. Paul Martin may well have been on to something when he talked of the ‘hidden agenda’ of Conservatives.
NEWS flash
I live in Alberta.
I am a staunch Conservative supporter both with my vote, my cash and contributing to opinion polls, and letting my MP know where I stand on every issue.
I strongly support a Woman's right of choice.
Unless we are going to open Abortion Clinics in Somalia, Ethiopia and everywhere else, and supply them with Doctors to perform the Surgeries, this is totally a non-issue.:roll:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
To me women dieing is not a hate fest, but rather the ones who let women die because abortion puts their nose out of joint are the true source of haters.
Yeah, there's no hate involved but those foul, loathesome, evil, satanic, stinking, ugly cons sure annoy you right?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Why should Canada pay for abortions even in Canada?

My sentiments exactly.

Every now and again this government lives up to it 'Conservative' name rather than its neoconservative economic agenda (read that classic liberal, anti-nationalist, free market economics).. like this, and in withdrawing funding for Toronto's tawdry and embarrassing Pride Day Parade

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Had the abortion issue been one in Canada that has no votes behind it, the hypocrites would have never even talk about abortion in Canada. But hey, at times of desperation to stay in power we will pretend we are open minded.
Which hypocrites? The ones that fund abortions here but not in places that are none of our business? Or the ones that snivel about spending too much money and expect to spend in places that are none of our business?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
NEWS flash
I live in Alberta.
I am a staunch Conservative supporter both with my vote, my cash and contributing to opinion polls, and letting my MP know where I stand on every issue.
I strongly support a Woman's right of choice.
Unless we are going to open Abortion Clinics in Somalia, Ethiopia and everywhere else, and supply them with Doctors to perform the Surgeries, this is totally a non-issue.:roll:

What about the Millions of $$$$$$$$$$$ the Conservatives donated to human suffering in Haiti? That was funding to stop or relive human suffering. Women who have been raped abroad and got pregnant should be protected as well.

What about the women of Afghanistan, the Conservatives allocated $50.000.000 to support that stupid war, a war that was not about the women, and if anyone would rebuttal “ye the Liberals got us in Afghanistan“ hey the answer is simple, the righteous Conservatives could have said we are not interested, but we know whose ass was being kissed at the time.

As well the price of 148 men and women, for no result what so ever. What about that, had the US not been present or having nothing to do with Afghanistan Harper would have not gone in Afghanistan. But to prop up his minority he kissed Bush's ass day and night.
The world is watching and the Harper Conservatives can not hide from their true bias beliefs on abortion no matter how hard they pretend they are pro.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Had the abortion issue been one in Canada that has no votes behind it, the hypocrites would have never even talk about abortion in Canada. But hey, at times of desperation to stay in power we will pretend we are open minded.

Do you have any sort of a clue about what you speak ... or did you just see one of your trigger words, your eyes went dim and your mouth went into gear?

Why should Canada pay for abortions in any other country BUT Canada?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Canada's position against funding abortions abroad is 'hypocritical and unjust,' a medical journal editorial says.

"The Canadian Government does not deprive women living in Canada from access to safe abortions; it is therefore hypocritical and unjust that it tries to do so abroad," the Lancet says in an editorial Saturday.

CBC News - Health - Tory G8 abortion stance unjust: journal

The reason why Harper's Conservatives will not support funding abortions abroad is simple.

The Conservatives are deep inside antiabortion, and are funding abortions here at home to stop the sceptics and get votes, to the Conservatives votes mean more then their philosophical view on Abortion although (secret religious beliefs) is the cause for this hypocrisy. Hypocritical in the most transparent way.

You do bring up some good points here. I'm pro-life myself by the way, yet it does come across as a contradiction when the government expects higher standards from abroad than from within. I'd rather a politician stand on principle and lose than lie his way to power, just as I'd rather vote for a losing candidate on principle than vote for the lesser of two evils just because he stands a chance of winning.

Right now I doubt many MPs could truly win on the abortion stance, but I'd still rather they be straightforward about it and bite the bullet than pretend to be different things to different people. If Harper is to stand against abortion abroad, then he ought to do it at home too.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Do you have any sort of a clue about what you speak ... or did you just see one of your trigger words, your eyes went dim and your mouth went into gear?

Why should Canada pay for abortions in any other country BUT Canada?

Why is Canada paying for abortions in Canada? when in fact we know how the Conservatives feel about such an issue.? Anything to do with votes? Or is it because the current government loves all people?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
You do bring up some good points here. I'm pro-life myself by the way, yet it does come across as a contradiction when the government expects higher standards from abroad than from within. I'd rather a politician stand on principle and lose than lie his way to power, just as I'd rather vote for a losing candidate on principle than vote for the lesser of two evils just because he stands a chance of winning.

Right now I doubt many MPs could truly win on the abortion stance, but I'd still rather they be straightforward about it and bite the bullet than pretend to be different things to different people. If Harper is to stand against abortion abroad, then he ought to do it at home too.

Bless you pal...........

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I can proudly say that not one of the candidates I've ever voted for has yet gotten a seat in Parliament. And I've never voted for a Conservative yet. Coincidence?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Bless you pal...........

It's just a matter of standing on principle. If you're pro-life then you'll oppose abortion at home and abroad. If you're pro-choice, then you'll support freedom to abort at home and abroad. When you start to adopt double standards, it becomes pretty clear that you don't believe in anything.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
My sentiments exactly.

Every now and again this government lives up to it 'Conservative' name rather than its neoconservative economic agenda (read that classic liberal, anti-nationalist, free market economics).. like this, and in withdrawing funding for Toronto's tawdry and embarrassing Pride Day Parade

So you're all for the government pickin' and choosin' are ya? What? An internationally pro-life yet domestically pro-choice party doesn't seem odd to ya? For me, I'm pro-choice through and through, and would expect a party to be straightforward and lose than play these shenanigans to win.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In short, if a candidate in an election claims to adopt a principled stance on a subject, then we expect him to stand by that principle come hell or high waters, and live with it. Otherwise I'd rather vote for the candidate who does not pretend to hold to these principles since at least he's honest about it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
maybe you are, speaking in favour of a raped victim that got pregnant it doesn’t make me drunk. 70.000 women a year die abroad from this problem, and is a worthwhile cause to expose the hypocrites.

Which raped victim are you speaking for ... or is that a philosophical thing too? You know ... propaganda?

Why don't you explain to me why limited funds available from Canada for projects designed to go to the root of health problems - ie Clean Water! - should be paying for abortions. I think the only message that refusing to pay for birth control means is "we don't want the funds frittered away".

Naturally, the propaganda points people are going to spin it for purposes of milk....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for rape victims, though I feel for the, and though I could certainly agree with society helping them, I still believe life begins at conception and the fetus has a right to life unless it's to save the mother's life.

However, if a candidate were asked that question, and he believed this, I'd rather he say out straight out, even if it guarantees he loses to another candidate. I'd still vote for him even if I new he'd lose.

Many pro-life candidates though are not that honest and like to try to skirt around it. If they're going to do that, then they might as well just say they're pro-choice. At least pro-choice candidates are honest about it.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
It's just a matter of standing on principle. If you're pro-life then you'll oppose abortion at home and abroad. If you're pro-choice, then you'll support freedom to abort at home and abroad. When you start to adopt double standards, it becomes pretty clear that you don't believe in anything.
Wrong. I am definitely pro-life, but I am also pro-choice. I am against abortion for the most part, but not all. I am this way because the issue isn't a black and white one. There's no double standard in that.
Besides, it's ok to be against something but realize that it isn't your choice over someone else's life.
You can decide to leap off a bridge and I can tell you it's not a good idea, but the choice is ultimately yours.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Which raped victim are you speaking for ... or is that a philosophical thing too? You know ... propaganda?

Why don't you explain to me why limited funds available from Canada for projects designed to go to the root of health problems - ie Clean Water! - should be paying for abortions. I think the only message that refusing to pay for birth control means is "we don't want the funds frittered away".

Naturally, the propaganda points people are going to spin it for purposes of milk....
Then we should also live the subject alone and not funded here in Canada, but unfortunately hypocrisy feels good with the votes behind the issue here at home. Look, you can argue until you are blue in the face, reality dictates a hypocrite can pretend but truth will always gets him out tin the open. They call that bad optics and no moral fibber.