To IMPEACH ????

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
lol You're the one digging.
Yes, everyone lies, but that doesn't make lying good. People once thought smoking tobacco was good, too.
But I understand their confusion after Trump & Cohort undercutting virtues by making dishonesty, dishonour, cruelty, incongruity, etc. the norm.

I guess I'll have to explain it to you since you seem unable to figure it out yourself. About 25 years ago my sister in law was in hospital in Edmonton with some kind of brain condition that was as yet undiagnosed and she was in terrible shape & of course the worry only made it worse. The following day when we went to visit she didn't look one bit better and I thought to myself you can't her any worse, so I just said good morning Sheila, you are looking so much better today and her face lit up & she was just in a whole different frame of mind. They never really did get a positive diagnosis but she eventually did regain about 90% and they figured she might have gotten an insect bite of some kind. Now there was a case of lying that was positive!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, everyone lies, but that doesn't make lying good. People once thought smoking tobacco was good, too.
But I understand their confusion after Trump & Cohort undercutting virtues by making dishonesty, dishonour, cruelty, incongruity, etc. the norm.

I think you are catastrophizing again! :)

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
I guess I'll have to explain it to you since you seem unable to figure it out yourself. About 25 years ago my sister in law was in hospital in Edmonton with some kind of brain condition that was as yet undiagnosed and she was in terrible shape & of course the worry only made it worse. The following day when we went to visit she didn't look one bit better and I thought to myself you can't her any worse, so I just said good morning Sheila, you are looking so much better today and her face lit up & she was just in a whole different frame of mind. They never really did get a positive diagnosis but she eventually did regain about 90% and they figured she might have gotten an insect bite of some kind. Now there was a case of lying that was positive!
I see you still can't help yourself from attacking a general idea with a specific instance. That's called a "Strawman argument". Sad.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I see you still can't help yourself from attacking a general idea with a specific instance. That's called a "Strawman argument". Sad.

Maybe, but it's still valid. A general idea is composed of many specific instances. People succeed or fail based on specific instances! :)

AnnaE

Time Out
Jan 31, 2020
Maybe, but it's still valid. A general idea is composed of many specific instances. People succeed or fail based on specific instances! :)
It's an illogical argument.
I see you don't understand what a valid argument is either.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
It is quite concerning to see what Trump is making the"norm"............and can lead to a lot of confusion..... as this can redefine values for the general population. When core values are altered............general instability can result.

That kind of charge is usually a precursor to a massive change in the system itself............as is happening now.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
It is quite concerning to see what Trump is making the"norm"............and can lead to a lot of confusion..... as this can redefine values for the general population. When core values are altered............general instability can result.
That kind of charge is usually a precursor to a massive change in the system itself............as is happening now.

It is becoming the norm, and his supporters don't see it happening right in front of them, which is frightening. Just today Trump made the following statement:

"I'm actually, I believe, the chief law enforcement officer of the country."

Which is 100% false. That role falls on the AG, but then again, considering that Barr is a Trump heel-clicker Trump does have full control and power. How can people not see what is happening?

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/0...e-top-law-enforcement-officer-in-america.html

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is becoming the norm, and his supporters don't see it happening right in front of them, which is frightening. Just today Trump made the following statement:

Which is 100% false. That role falls on the AG, but then again, considering that Barr is a Trump heel-clicker Trump does have full control and power. How can people not see what is happening?

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/0...e-top-law-enforcement-officer-in-america.html

I imagine the AG wouldn't turn up his nose at any help. :)

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
I imagine the AG wouldn't turn up his nose at any help. :)

The role of the AG is not to look to the President for "help" in executing his duties. Rather it is his/her role to uphold the law and to represent the United States in legal matters, not the President.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

His supporters see what they want to see.......and hear......but there are many others that see what is happening and are very concerned for their country.These are people that look beyond the economy and see the big picture of where the country is at ......currently. Some know that a lot is out of kilter ........but are in denial re the gravity of it.Americans are brought up to "support" their leader .....POTUS.........and this conditioning tends to bias them from seeing their leaders objectively. The crazy thing is that if Trump were black or a democrat.......he would have been tossed out of the job long ago for the same behavior that Trump exhibits.

and then...there are those that actually would accept a more authoritarian style leadership. So they are happy to see what's happening.

About Trump proclaiming his POWERS in the legal word........ that was to be expected. That fits with his psych profile. He will continue to act rogue and grab even more powers whether it is appropriate or not. Only TWO things matter to him: POWER .......and the obligated loyalty it can foster.. & Money. In His mind he does no wrong. His values are totally self centered but skewed.

People as a rule are not all that psychologically minded........yet As a result they are not able to see that his behavior and attitude is problematic. and based on his pathology. No one does not have to be a psychologist to recognize dysfunctional , inappropriate behavior. It is not diagnosing........to observe and be alerted to dysfunctional conduct.

Last edited:

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
His supporters see what they want to see.......and hear......but there are many others that see what is happening and are very concerned for their country.These are people that look beyond the economy and see the big picture of where the country is at ......currently. Some know that a lot is out of kilter ........but are in denial re the gravity of it.Americans are brought up to "support" their leader .....POTUS.........and this conditioning tends to bias them from seeing their leaders objectively. The crazy thing is that if Trump were black or a democrat.......he would have been tossed out of the job long ago for the same behavior that Trump exhibits.
and then...there are those that actually would accept a more authoritarian style leadership. So they are happy to see what's happening.

Yes you are correct, there are Republicans who can see what's happening and are very concerned. Trump to me is a classic example of the "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit” line. Oh if Trump pulled half the crap he has as a Dem the Republican's would be absolutely up in arms. Why there wouldn't be enough smelling salts in the free world to bring Graham and Pence back to conscientiousness. "He did what mother?"

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Trump can pardon, the AG cannot.
POTUS appoints and can fire the AG.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
About Trump proclaiming his POWERS in the legal word........ that was to be expected. That fits with his psych profile. He will continue to act rogue and grab even more powers whether it is appropriate or not. Only TWO things matter to him: POWER .......and the obligated loyalty it can foster.. & Money. In His mind he does no wrong. His values are totally self centered but skewed.
People as a rule are not all that psychologically minded........yet As a result they are not able to see that his behavior and attitude is problematic. and based on his pathology. No one does not have to be a psychologist to recognize dysfunctional , inappropriate behavior. It is not diagnosing........to observe and be alerted to dysfunctional conduct.
Sounds like democrats. See only what they imagine and dismiss reality.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
The trouble with Trump's clemencies and pardons:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-trouble-with-donald-trumps-pardons

"In short, then, the pardons were entirely personal in origin, and so the granting of them was exclusively an exercise of Trump’s own power. That was their point. A benevolent leader dispensed favors. The world will not change much because of these actions; of the four, only Blagojevich was still incarcerated. Some of the others may receive a few minor benefits, such as a restored right to purchase guns legally. The only cost is the further degradation of the government, moving our system closer to a cult of personality. In this era of mass incarceration, many people deserve pardons and commutations, but this is not the way to go about it. All Trump has done is to prove that he can reward his friends and his friends’ friends. The chilling corollary is that he knows he can punish his enemies, too."