Till Elections Do Us Part

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
And I agree with you about pgs, he sounds too intelligent to be Harley. He sounds more like saltofsea from the other forum.

I was thinking the same last night but I couldn't remember his handle. Same attitude as HH but a better speller and not quite as nasty.
Still not sure that I agree with both of you. SOS is usually more up front with saying who he is. HH can come up with the odd big word and that did leave me wondering. She doesn't usually get super nasty until she's caught and then - all hell breaks loose. I would have thought of YJ but he's already here. However - I've been wrong before.8O;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It is of native american origin.
Petros are you meaning Yankee in the way of "First Nations"? I looked that up and it does say native origin but it just means belonging to the country. As in:
1. a native or inhabitant of the United States.
2. a native or inhabitant of New England.
3. a native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, esp. of one of the northeastern states that sided with the Union in the American Civil War.
4. a federal or northern soldier in the American Civil War.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It is of native american origin.

You may be right as to its origin, I don’t know. But I looked it up, and I am right about it being a derogatory term.

The "damned Yankee" usage dates from 1812.[3] During and after the American Civil War (1861–1865) Confederates popularized it as a derogatory term for their Northern enemies.

Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the Yankees proudly accepted it, made it their own. So it isn't derogatory any more.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Initially, I thought pgs was Ms. Andy from the misspellings, particularly of prejudicial.
Now you could be right. Ms. Andy is a poor speller. While we are on the subject of spelling - Canuck is spelled with one "N" unless you are the "cannuck" poster on these forums. I forgot about her but she can rip into people too when it suits her.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You may be right as to its origin, I don’t know. But I looked it up, and I am right about it being a derogatory term.

The "damned Yankee" usage dates from 1812.[3] During and after the American Civil War (1861–1865) Confederates popularized it as a derogatory term for their Northern enemies.

Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the Yankees proudly accepted it, made it their own. So it isn't derogatory any more.
Both the words Yankee and Canuck were originally derogatory terms but in time the Yanks accepted being called Yankees just as we have accepted being called Canucks. I believe that when I looked up "Canucks" a while back it said originally it was meant for French Candadians but now all of Canada uses the term. I don't have any problem saying "I'm a Canuck".

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
All good points Sir Joe. I don't think it's Harley, not enough bragging about herself. As for derogatory nicknames, the "N" word wasn't originally a term of hatred- the Blacks themselves used to refer to themselves with that term. What about terms like "Micks", "Wops" and "Diegos"? Some may consider them derogatory, I don't.
If you don't consider those derogatory JLM, then you better wear a hard hat. They are very derogatory.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Initially, I thought pgs was Ms. Andy from the misspellings, particularly of prejudicial.

Spade, we all have our unique writing styles, perhaps even as unique as fingerprints. While with effort one may be able to mask one’s style temporarily, eventually it comes out.

So I think it is saltofsea, not Andy. There are a couple of features.

He puts each sentence in a separate paragraph, I don’t think any other poster does that. He calls me Rupert, I don’t think any other poster does that (SRM, Sirrup, Sir being the order of the day). Specifically, Andy never called me Rupert.

Also, there is that same sneering, obnoxious, arrogant quality to the posts (though never personally insulting), redolent with spelling mistakes.

So I could be wrong, but I think it is saltofsea.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Spade, we all have our unique writing styles, perhaps even as unique as fingerprints. While with effort one may be able to mask one’s style temporarily, eventually it comes out.

So I think it is saltofsea, not Andy. There are a couple of features.

He puts each sentence in a separate paragraph, I don’t think any other poster does that. He calls me Rupert, I don’t think any other poster does that (SRM, Sirrup, Sir being the order of the day). Specifically, Andy never called me Rupert.

Also, there is that same sneering, obnoxious, arrogant quality to the posts (though never personally insulting), redolent with spelling mistakes.

So I could be wrong, but I think it is saltofsea.
I guess it looks like we have to wait and see if this person has what it takes to step up to the plate and identify themselves. In the meantime - I think we are giving them way too much "press time". HH calls you rupert too.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yankee goes right back to the Revolution. If I remember correctly the song "Yankee Doodle" was played by the British as a tune to mock the Colonials. At Yorktown Va. while the British stacked arms they walked down what is known today as Surrender Road to the Colonials playing Yankee Doodle.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Thanks EagleSmack. Good to have a real Yankee explain what it means to us and then we have the true meaning for sure.
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Still not sure that I agree with both of you. SOS is usually more up front with saying who he is. HH can come up with the odd big word and that did leave me wondering. She doesn't usually get super nasty until she's caught and then - all hell breaks loose. I would have thought of YJ but he's already here. However - I've been wrong before.8O;-)

Nah, it's not her, discussing politics and income tax are miles out of her realm.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yankee goes right back to the Revolution. If I remember correctly the song "Yankee Doodle" was played by the British as a tune to mock the Colonials. At Yorktown Va. while the British stacked arms they walked down what is known today as Surrender Road to the Colonials playing Yankee Doodle.
George Washington only won one battle - The last one - the one that counted -

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I could be mistaken but I believe I heard that originally the term "Yankee" only pertained to residents of the six New England States.