The US doesn't take us seriously because we don't take ourselves seriously

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Hell, we're barely a country anymore. We're just a loose federation of constantly squabbling regions, with Quebec and Toronto being the only ones that really get listened to.

With 3rd would infrastructure.. pof the reason we are so dependent on the USA ..

We need to start trading east to west more.. within Canada 🍁 🇨🇦

We need a pipeline from Alberta to Southern Ontario that is within Canada.. not passing through the USA.

If with had a proper highway we could run the pipeline adjacent to it..

We need proper Internet, good drinking water fir rural regions such as Indian Reservations.. there is no reason for people to have to boil drinking water..

We need to dump FREE TRADE and promote MADE IN CANADA goods bringing back tech jobs.. enough with Globalization and Trudeauomics…

ALSO CPP SHOULD START AT 67 YEARS OLD AND SHOULD NOT BE TAXED!!!!! (Currently the Government taxes 30% and has changed the name to a benefit.. it’s not a benefit and a pension that was paid into for years)

Lastly we need to remove trade barriers within Canada and promote tax free movement of goods within Canada..

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
With 3rd would infrastructure.. pof the reason we are so dependent on the USA ..

We need a pipeline from Alberta to Southern Ontario that is within Canada.. not passing through the USA.

We need proper Internet, good drinking water fir rural regions such as Indian Reservations.. there is no reason for people to have to boil drinking water..

We need to dump FREE TRADE and promote MADE IN CANADA goods bringing back tech jobs.. enough with Globalization and Trudeauomics…

ALSO CPP SHOULD START AT 67 YEARS OLD AND SHOULD NOT BE TAXED!!!!! (Currently the Government taxes 30% and has changed the name to a benefit.. it’s not a benefit and a pension that was paid into for years)

Lastly we need to remove trade barriers within Canada and promote tax free movement of goods within Canada..
Yep, kind'a weird that this fucked up country has freer trade with other nations that it does between its own provinces. As for free trade itself, I find it odd that the govts that are soooo concerned about climate change keep pushing free trade, which is a MAJOR contributor of GHGs. Hell, international maritime shipping generates more annual GHG's than almost every other country on the planet. In fact, if international maritime shipping was a country, it would the 6th largest emitter in the world.
But Canada's solution is to continue shipping raw materials to China and elsewhere to be manufactured into products then shipped back, Seems it would much less carbon intensive to just make the shit here.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep, kind'a weird that this fucked up country has freer trade with other nations that it does between its own provinces. As for free trade itself, I find it odd that the govts that are soooo concerned about climate change keep pushing free trade, which is a MAJOR contributor of GHGs. Hell, international maritime shipping generates more annual GHG's than almost every other country on the planet. In fact, if international maritime shipping was a country, it would the 6th largest emitter in the world.
But Canada's solution is to continue shipping raw materials to China and elsewhere to be manufactured into products then shipped back, Seems it would much less carbon intensive to just make the shit here.
That is weird, and as you say, pretty fucked up.

Can you give me a link to a site that could serve as a primer on internal trade barriers or other impediments to trade in Canada?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Can you give me a link to a site that could serve as a primer on internal trade barriers or other impediments to trade in Canada?
Could you be a bit more specific in your request so that this isn’t flooded with examples of trade (tariffs) disputes (like the whole softwood lumber thing), or imposed barriers (lack of pipeline capacity and prohibitive internal legislation), or the punitive embargo’s (like Cuba for decades or more recently Canada’s food crops to China over the Hauwei fiasco or Australian wine & coal to China over questions of the Covid 19 origin), etc…?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Could you be a bit more specific in your request so that this isn’t flooded with examples of trade (tariffs) disputes (like the whole softwood lumber thing), or imposed barriers (lack of pipeline capacity and prohibitive internal legislation), or the punitive embargo’s (like Cuba for decades or more recently Canada’s food crops to China over the Hauwei fiasco or Australian wine & coal to China over questions of the Covid 19 origin), etc…?
Beer, wine, spirits, oleo, lumber, dairy...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I mean formal or informal barriers to trade between provinces/territories within Canada.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Agreed.

Agreed.

Technically there is a highway but...

Absolutely agreed.

We need to dump FREE TRADE and promote MADE IN CANADA goods bringing back tech jobs..

Agreed.

enough with Globalization and Trudeauomics…

Agreed.

Absolutely agreed.

Well shit... what kind of fucking "liberal" am I if I agree with Boom so much?

Reactions: taxslave and B00Mer

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I mean formal or informal barriers to trade between provinces/territories within Canada.
Like the recognition of Journeyman status province to province before Red Seal (?) or the pipeline access squabbling with BC & Quebec towards Saskatchewan & Alberta (?) or the retaliatory reaction towards BC by Alberta for BC wine (?) or the whole “West Coast pipeline bills that don’t apply to the East Coast or the St Lawrence” so it only punishes Saskatchewan & Alberta but not NewFoundLand or oil imports to Eastern Canada? That sort of thing? Like the Canadian Wheat Pool but not similar laws on predominantly Quebec or Ontario Agricultural produce?

Reactions: taxslave

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Like the recognition of Journeyman status province to province before Red Seal (?) or the pipeline access squabbling with BC & Quebec towards Saskatchewan & Alberta (?) or the retaliatory reaction towards BC by Alberta for BC wine (?) or the whole “West Coast pipeline bills that don’t apply to the East Coast or the St Lawrence” so it only punishes Saskatchewan & Alberta but not NewFoundLand or oil imports to Eastern Canada? That sort of thing? Like the Canadian Wheat Pool but not similar laws on predominantly Quebec or Ontario Agricultural produce?
Or dairy supply chains and the Crow rate .

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

CPP at 67 is kinda old for most people that do physical work. It should be at least double the current rate and all the various supplements added in to makeone easy to use plan with far fewer bureaucraps raking off the top.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Agreed.

Agreed.

Technically there is a highway but...

Absolutely agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Absolutely agreed.

Well shit... what kind of fucking "liberal" am I if I agree with Boom so much?
One capable of independent thought? or jus one that is not riding the gravy train.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yes, that kind of thing. I know that our states do occupational licensure individually.

I'd like to know more about pipeline bills that don't apply equally, and what the reasons are for them.

I'll look up the Wheat Pool.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'd like to know more about pipeline bills that don't apply equally, and what the reasons are for them.
To make the search easier, start with “Canada Bill C-48” and look for restrictions to oil shipping along the entire East Coast of Canada or the Saint Lawrence Seaway as it would affect Oil Production from the Newfoundland Hibernia Field or foreign oil imports into Quebec or Ontario.

How does Bill C-48 affect the import of oil or refined petroleum products by barge from Washington State for example?

Last edited:
Reactions: taxslave

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
To make the search easier, start with “Canada Bill C-48” and look for restrictions to oil shipping along the entire East Coast of Canada or the Saint Lawrence Seaway as it would affect Oil Production from the Newfoundland Hibernia Field or foreign oil imports into Quebec or Ontario.

How does Bill C-48 affect the import of oil or refined petroleum products by barge from Washington State for example?
I'll check it out. I'm sure you know I'll decide for myself whether the stated reasons for the bill justify unequal treatment of the provinces.