The RCMP and government adopt EVs as winter performance concerns emerge

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

However, a study published in late 2022 found that many EVs have problems maintaining expected performance. It estimates a significant drop in the amount of miles-per-charge EV batteries can sustain.

The study found disparities between vehicles in their ability to withstand cold weather conditions, with cars like the Jaguar I-Pace only losing 3% of its range, while the Ford Mustang Mach-E lost 30% of its range.

So this should end well.....

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So will the RCMP just use these EV’s for 1/3 of each shift, & then switch to an ICE vehicle for the last 2/3rds of their shift while the EV is charging?

I can imagine a high speed chase (instant power!!) but not endurance. Part way through a chase, they’d yank into a Tesla fast charger (& assuming it’s functional) in a quick 30 minutes they’d have enough of a charge to catch up to the chase again?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Half-breeds (hybrids) run a genny off an ICE when batteries are pooched.
Yeah, what size of generator are you describing with respect to a police chase? With the weight of the EV batteries already I’m assuming it can’t be anything more than a four-cylinder so maybe at 2 L generator at most? I’m just guessing at the numbers here….

And I’m not picturing S2000 2L but low compression constant afterthought power?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I can imagine a high speed chase (instant power!!) but not endurance. Part way through a chase, they’d yank into a Tesla fast charger (& assuming it’s functional) in a quick 30 minutes they’d have enough of a charge to catch up to the chase again?
Even as we speak there's a bunch of criminals drawing 31 - minute radius circles around all the tim hortons and dreaming of happier days to come...

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
More than enough amps to charge and run flat out on the electric motors.
There are some fast Hybrids out there:

The 10 Fastest Accelerating Hybrid Cars From 0-60 MPH​

1. 2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD - 4.9 seconds
  2. 2019 Volvo S60 T8 Polestar - 4.5 seconds
  3. 2019 Mercedes-AMG CLS 53 4matic+ - 4.1 seconds
  4. 2015 BMW i8 - 3.8 seconds
  5. 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo - 3.7 seconds
  6. 2017 Acura NSX - 3.1 seconds
  7. 2018 Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo - 2.8 seconds
  8. 2014 McLaren P1 - 2.6 seconds
  9. 2015 Porsche 918 Spyder - 2.4 seconds
  10. None of the above are on the procurement list for the RCMP in the new story in the OP Link.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Half-breeds are the best choice. No charge station at home, no lining up at commercial chargers, no travel time lost to charging, no range issues, no temperature issues, no performance loss, commutes and beer runs can be 100% electric and longer battery life.

My next vehicle will be a half-breed.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Half-breeds are the best choice. No charge station at home, no lining up at commercial chargers, no travel time lost to charging, no range issues, no temperature issues, no performance loss, commutes and beer runs can be 100% electric and longer battery life.

My next vehicle will be a half-breed.
It just makes sense. I don't understand the gov'ts push to all electric vehicles,. Plug in hybrids would deliver about 90 percent of the benefit with about 10 percent of the pain of conversion. You would still get the average driver spending most if not all of their day on battery, but you don't need the massive charging infrastructure, the car industry needs a quarter of the batteries (or less), and people don't have to radically change their lifestyles to accomodate it so there's faster buy in. They should be pushing that tech, not full electrics. .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
This is complex, so try to follow along. I'll be as clear as I can. . .

True Dope.

Did that help?
No. This is a little more complex. It's not just the federal gov'ts who have been pushing it. And many so called environmental groups have echoed the same thing.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No. This is a little more complex. It's not just the federal gov'ts who have been pushing it. And many so called environmental groups have echoed the same thing.
Precisely. The "environmentalists" are a significant voting bloc, and their squishy supporters probably an even larger one.

It's Mom's apple pie. Anybody who asks "Is this the best way to achieve what we all agree is a desirable goal?" can be shouted down as a land-rapist with the same enthusiasm we used on "communists."

Tribalism is by definition fact- and reasoning-free. It's pure usuns v. themmuns. Ferfucksake, "Be True To Your School" inspires loyalty to a government institution to which you were forced to go, without choice (or with minimum choice). It makes as much sense as "Be True To Your Prison" (which, pathetically enough, many cons actually do!).

Most people would rather scream than think. Heck, most people would rather DIE than think.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Precisely. The "environmentalists" are a significant voting bloc, and their squishy supporters probably an even larger one.

It's Mom's apple pie. Anybody who asks "Is this the best way to achieve what we all agree is a desirable goal?" can be shouted down as a land-rapist with the same enthusiasm we used on "communists."

Tribalism is by definition fact- and reasoning-free. It's pure usuns v. themmuns. Ferfucksake, "Be True To Your School" inspires loyalty to a government institution to which you were forced to go, without choice (or with minimum choice). It makes as much sense as "Be True To Your Prison" (which, pathetically enough, many cons actually do!).

Most people would rather scream than think. Heck, most people would rather DIE than think.

It's pipelines all over again. Least leakage per liter-kilometer transported. Yet the people who profess to hate leakage prefer the riskier methods. Because they're stuck on the utterly illogical (and disastrous) absolutist position of "end all fossil fuels today!" The ultimate revenge would be to give them their wish. Sadly, that would be equally hard on the revenger.