The Problem

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
According to worldometer, we have about 300 million Covid cases worldwide. That's about 4% of the world population.

Same source, of resolved cases we have about 5 1/2 million deaths out of those 300 million. That's a little under 2%.

Leaving aside all your (and my) political BS and hysterical doomsday scenarios, what level of limitation of ordinary freedoms and economic activity are justified by a disease with mortality rate below 2%?

• Love
Reactions: Colpy and Dixie Cup

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good question. Some of us have been asking this from day one. According to the woke crowd no one must die ever. Unless certain ever moving political objectives are met. Do we dare dig out the numbers from the Spanish flu from 100 years ago?
How about the number of people with treatable problems that have died waiting for hospital space because the space was reserved for covid cases? Does anyone even know how to find those numbers?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And I'll say it, so nobody else has to.

Obviously, the pandemic has disproportionately killed folk with one foot in the grave anyhow. Just like every other disease, malady, and disorder. How do we account for that?

Sadly, as in just about everything else, we pretty quickly hunkered down in our corners and started flinging poo at each other, rather than working the damn problem.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
According to worldometer, we have about 300 million Covid cases worldwide. That's about 4% of the world population.

Same source, of resolved cases we have about 5 1/2 million deaths out of those 300 million. That's a little under 2%.

Leaving aside all your (and my) political BS and hysterical doomsday scenarios, what level of limitation of ordinary freedoms and economic activity are justified by a disease with mortality rate below 2%?
Certainly not the current level. Now, I can only speak for Canada but our govt was "bragging" about how Canada shattered it's own immigration record in 2021. Who brags about shattering immigration records in the middle of a pandemic while our own citizens weren't allowed to go anywhere or do anything for the better part of the year?
It tells me that this pandemic isn't anywhere near as bad as it's being made out to be. If it really is as bad as they're syaing then our govt just doesn't give two shits or a flying rat's ass about the health and safety of Canadians.

To put things in perspective in Canada, 30,000 Canadians have "died from Covid" in the past 2 years ( I put that in quotes since the methodology centered around anyone who had Covid and died, regardless of whether Covid was the cause). And yet over the same period 75,000 Canadians have died from smoking, while the Fed profits from those deaths.
So, while our govt runs around telling everyone to get their 3rd and 4th jabs while waiting for the "Covid pill" and ordering even more "vaccines" through 2024, two and half times as many Canadians have died from tobacco than from Covid.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Good question. Some of us have been asking this from day one. According to the woke crowd no one must die ever. Unless certain ever moving political objectives are met. Do we dare dig out the numbers from the Spanish flu from 100 years ago?
How about the number of people with treatable problems that have died waiting for hospital space because the space was reserved for covid cases? Does anyone even know how to find those numbers?
Also, how many people die (pre covid) from the flu every year?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Also, how many people die (pre covid) from the flu every year?
I can tell you this much, Two and a half times as many Canadians have died from tobacco than have died from Covid over the same period. But the govt cares about your health ya know.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I can tell you this much, Two and a half times as many Canadians have died from tobacco than have died from Covid over the same period. But the govt cares about your health ya know.
They can tax carbon and they can tax tobacco, but so far they haven’t figured out a way to tax Covid so that’s the emergency.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They can tax carbon and they can tax tobacco, but so far they haven’t figured out a way to tax Covid so that’s the emergency.
I might have to retract the above statement as Quebec is currently proposing a “Health tax for the unvaccinated”…..& Once a TAX exists, it NEVER goes away….& Ways are found to expand it.

(income tax when it first came in during one of the world wars was proposed as a temporary tax just to get us through that financial situation, and then it was to be retired)

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I might have to retract the above statement as Quebec is currently proposing a “Health tax for the unvaccinated”…..& Once attacks exist it NEVER goes away….& Ways are found to expand it.

(income tax when it first came in during one of the world wars was proposed as a temporary tax just to get us through that financial situation, and then it was to be retired)
World War One . Temporary .

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I might have to retract the above statement as Quebec is currently proposing a “Health tax for the unvaccinated”…..& Once attacks exist it NEVER goes away….& Ways are found to expand it.

LOL - just as I started reading your post I thought - OMG they're actually doing it in Quebec and the fine will be "substantial". This will likely go to court as I doubt if this is Constitutional - having said that, Quebec likely doesn't recognize the Constitution anyway so they don't give a sh!t.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

The first question I would have is, of those deaths, how many were previously 'healthy' people. (It's going to be a low number, I know). That is the one that concerns me, because to me it signals that the virus can get even deadlier if given the time to mutate.

That said.

My second big concern is the overwhelming of the health care system of any country, state or province, regardless of where it is. Health care isn't as stable as people always thought/hoped/assumed it would be and it doesn't take much to break an already broken system. If anything, this whole situation has shown just how little people care about that system (unless they need it for themselves).

Maybe if I didn't work in it I'd be like some others; with so low a percentage for everything, what's the big deal? Unfortunately I can't be like that. Even if in my particular area our cases aren't huge, there are other places where it's overwhelming and I can't help but totally sympathize with the fear those doctors, nurses and other staff have in those areas.