The Harper government passed a measure 13 years ago to catch Liberal scandals. It wor

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Harper government passed a measure 13 years ago to catch Liberal scandals. It worked perfectly

Literally, the first action of the new Conservative government in 2006 was to inaugurate an independent prosecutor's office to prevent future Sponsorship Scandals

Tristin Hopper

March 1, 2019

As the Liberal government descends into full-blown crisis, Conservatives could take some satisfaction that this is all happening in part because of a long-ago measure they implemented precisely to catch Liberal scandals.

In 2006, one of the first actions of the new government of Stephen Harper was the Director of Public Prosecutions Act, a measure designed to prevent future occurrences of the Sponsorship Scandal. Now, that act is at the centre of events apparently showing an attempt by the government of Justin Trudeau to halt a criminal prosecution for political reasons.

Gerald Butts, former principal secretary to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau) talked to me about how the statute was set up by Harper (and) that he does not like the law,” former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould said in Wednesday testimony before the House of Commons justice committee.

“I said something like ‘That is the law we have.’”

Wilson-Raybould said she was subjected to “hounding” and then ultimately shuffled out of her job as Attorney General because she failed to stop a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin, a Montreal construction and engineering firm accused of bribing the government of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2006: “Bend the rules, you will be punished.”

Specifically, Wilson-Raybould refused to overrule the Director of Public Prosecutions, an independent office created by the 2006 act in order to prevent political interference in criminal prosecutions.

Previously, Canadian attorneys general had full discretion over which criminal cases were pursued and which were abandoned. Since the Attorney General is also a sitting cabinet member, the door was left open for easy – and quiet – political meddling in the judicial process.

The 2006 act created an independent prosecution service shielded from interference. The Attorney General can still overrule the director, but any such decision has to be publicly announced.

Wilson-Raybould has done this in other cases, such as in November when she advised prosecutors to drop criminal charges in certain cases of people having sex without informing their partners of their HIV positive status. In the case of SNC-Lavalin, Wilson-Raybould decided it was “not appropriate” to overrule the director despite repeated requests to do so.

“I explained to (Trudeau) the law and what I have the ability to do and not do under the Director of Public Prosecutions Act,” Wilson-Raybould said Wednesday. “I told him that I had done my due diligence and made up my mind … that I was not going to interfere with the decision of the (director of public prosecution).”

The act was a direct response to the Sponsorship Scandal, an eight-year program in which federal monies were funnelled to Liberal-aligned contractors in exchange for little to no work. Ostensibly, the cash was being used to fund advertising in Quebec to promote the benefits of Canada and dissuade separatist sentiments.
Prime Minister Paul Martin walks through the crowd in the Byward Market as a protester holds up a sign during a campaign stop in Ottawa, June 12, 2004. Suzanne Bird/Postmedia/File

Adding to the scandal was the sense that political interference had hampered the prosecution of those responsible. An independent prosecution service was suggested as a way to ward off future scandals.

“The reason (the Director of Public Prosecutions Act) was proposed in the last election — and I’m not afraid to say it — is that a lot of people were confused about the fact that a number of advertising agencies were pursued with legal action when one organization, which was clearly at the centre of the same scandal and benefited directly from it without any question whatsoever … was not,” Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said in 2006.

The Sponsorship Scandal had a major role in the 2006 victory of a Conservative minority government, particularly given the Tories’ campaign promise to clean up political corruption. “Bend the rules, you will be punished; break the law, you will be charged; abuse the public trust, you will go to prison,” Stephen Harper said at the time.

https://nationalpost.com/news/polit...800ePtmdLuGUqux85ll3VtqrQg#Echobox=1551441945

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jo...-man-with-nothing-to-lose?video_autoplay=true

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It could easily have failed had JWR not had the character she had. While no system can ever be fool-proof, I do support her idea of separating the positions of Minister of Justice and Attorney General. No system is ever perfect, but splitting those functions could provide additional assurances none-the-less.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The other thing that concerned me was her comment that she was offered coverage of favourable op eds if she complied. That I find worrisome and suggests more control over public media funding. I know Scott Reid had suggested in Lament for a Notion that we should convert public media funding into electronic media vouchers that residents could then use to subscribe to the media of their choice in the language of their choice. Given that revelation, perhaps we ought to take steps to eliminate direct state funding of the media except where essential such as for emergency broadcasting and such.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It could easily have failed had JWR not had the character she had. While no system can ever be fool-proof, I do support her idea of separating the positions of Minister of Justice and Attorney General. No system is ever perfect, but splitting those functions could provide additional assurances none-the-less.

No it couldn't have. You obviously don't have a clue as to how the legislation works. Not a big surprise. This wouldn't be the first time you shot off your mouth without being fully informed.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
In the case of SNC-Lavalin, Wilson-Raybould decided it was “not appropriate” to overrule the director despite repeated requests to do so.

Merely her opinion.

As I have pointed out many times.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Merely her opinion.

As I have pointed out many times.

Criminal Code of Canada

139 (2) Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner other than a manner described in subsection (1) to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

My emphasis.

What is merely "her opinion" is that nothing illegal happened. The Criminal Code disagrees.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Criminal Code of Canada

139 (2) Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner other than a manner described in subsection (1) to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

My emphasis.

What is merely "her opinion" is that nothing illegal happened. The Criminal Code disagrees.
But your own link says she has over ruled in the past and could have in the SNC case, had she wanted to.

Read your own evidence

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
But your own link says she has over ruled in the past and could have in the SNC case, had she wanted to.

Read your own evidence

I am aware, and I agree that is questionable.

It was not proper, IMHO.

I do not know what was in the prosecutor's message to the A-G that provided reasons for refusing the DPA.

Or in any other case.

But, you are side-stepping the point, which is was she unduly pressured to block the prosecution of SNC? The other things are not irrelevant over all, but they do not bear on this case.

To make it clear, it is like someone is hounding her to rob a bank, and she refuses. The fact she robbed other banks before does not excuse that pressure.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Read your own evidence

Nothing to see here. Just lots of Sunny Days and Sunny Ways and Feminist Plays.

That is until, the loyal subjects don't agree with the king.

Then off with their heads.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
If you can't carry out the will of the government then you don't belong in cabinet.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
If you can't carry out the will of the government then you don't belong in cabinet.

Was it the will of the people? Government? Or was it the will of the leader? Sure wasn't the will of the citizens of Canada looking at the news reports and the popularity polls. Obviously there was a difference of views in the Gov. 2 cabinet ministers resigned, all three opposition parties are calling for an investigation. So it's pretty obvious it was the will of the leader IMO

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Was it the will of the people? Government? Or was it the will of the leader? Sure wasn't the will of the citizens of Canada looking at the news reports and the popularity polls. Obviously there was a difference of views in the Gov. 2 cabinet ministers resigned, all three opposition parties are calling for an investigation. So it's pretty obvious it was the will of the leader IMO
The leader and those pulling his strings .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

True.

Which is why both of these principled ladies quit.

The will of the government was unethical, and very possibly illegal.

Which is why they deserve praise, and this gov't needs to be dumped in October.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
if it was unethical and illegal why didn't she quit at the time?

If it was illegal why didn't she report it?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
if it was unethical and illegal why didn't she quit at the time?

If it was illegal why didn't she report it?

She said she did not think any of it crossed the line into illegality.

I'm not sure I agree, but I'm not a lawyer.

As for resigning, that would have been a surrender. She stayed to do her job as AG, which was to defend the independence of the judiciary. If she had left, the PM simply would have gotten his way by appointing a "yes" man to the post (such as the "Honourable" David Lametti), and you would have heard nothing about the subversion of Canadian constitutional principles under this gov't.

In this case, resigning would have been an abandonment of her duties.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Harper government passed a measure 13 years ago to catch Liberal scandals. It worked perfectly

Literally, the first action of the new Conservative government in 2006 was to inaugurate an independent prosecutor's office to prevent future Sponsorship Scandals

Tristin Hopper

March 1, 2019

As the Liberal government descends into full-blown crisis, Conservatives could take some satisfaction that this is all happening in part because of a long-ago measure they implemented precisely to catch Liberal scandals.

In 2006, one of the first actions of the new government of Stephen Harper was the Director of Public Prosecutions Act, a measure designed to prevent future occurrences of the Sponsorship Scandal. Now, that act is at the centre of events apparently showing an attempt by the government of Justin Trudeau to halt a criminal prosecution for political reasons.

Gerald Butts, former principal secretary to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau) talked to me about how the statute was set up by Harper (and) that he does not like the law,” former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould said in Wednesday testimony before the House of Commons justice committee.

“I said something like ‘That is the law we have.’”

Wilson-Raybould said she was subjected to “hounding” and then ultimately shuffled out of her job as Attorney General because she failed to stop a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin, a Montreal construction and engineering firm accused of bribing the government of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2006: “Bend the rules, you will be punished.”
Look at the fuking buck-teeth, wow.
Too busy trying to catch ghosts while real crimes went in as usual between 2001-2011 (at least) as the company was banned for that very practice in 2013. The only goal, still, of the Conservatives is to do something to make the Liberals 'look bad' so they look like /more honest' . Time to retire Ottawa

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Which part is the red for colpy, the buck-tooth remark or that his boner for destroying the liberals allowed criminals to work under his nose for 4 years after the World Bank busted their asses?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Look at the fuking buck-teeth, wow.
Too busy trying to catch ghosts while real crimes went in as usual between 2001-2011 (at least) as the company was banned for that very practice in 2013. The only goal, still, of the Conservatives is to do something to make the Liberals 'look bad' so they look like /more honest' . Time to retire Ottawa

You do realize that it was Chretien-Martin that were PM from 2001-2006 right?