The Entitlement Mentality

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Re: Entitlement Mentality

Of course I have. When I'm bored, or feel like trying a funny. Or when the thread has descended into people screaming past each other incoherently. Which is generally around a dozen posts in. But I also like to think I provide apparently little-known facts and a good bit of reasoning to some of the more interesting conversations. Perhaps I overestimate my value to the board.

I never suggested that you don't contribute or can't contribute, in fact when you it can actually be worthwhile, in my opinion. However, there have been many occassions where you've gone on first thing in the a.m. and hit each new thread with "snip, snip, snipe" on post #2 for all of them. In fact, I can specifically recall calling you on it on at least one occassion.

Double standards.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You have it within your power to ban me, Locutus. Or even to just ask me more or less politely to leave. You never know, I just might accede to such a request.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
You have it within your power to ban me, Locutus. Or even to just ask me more or less politely to leave. You never know, I just might accede to such a request.

No one would ever be banned for over estimating their importance lad. Just welcomed for their humility.

We don't ask pretentious, boring or annoying members to leave. In fact, we don't ask anyone to leave.

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

Resistance is futile.

Now show me that cute war-face of yours. ;-)

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I don't think Loc should have usurped your thread, but perhaps he thought you were usurping his topic, and you know, he's entitled to his expectation that no one usurp his topic on his watch.

:?P

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I merged two similar threads is all. Nobody got a bloody nose I hope.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
“There’s an entitlement that is starting to emerge that I think is unhealthy for people and unhealthy for our country.”

Kutcher is entitled to his opinion.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well government unions and just about anyone else connected with tax dollars certainly feels they are entitled to their entitlements regardless of the taxpayer's ability to pay.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well government unions and just about anyone else connected with tax dollars certainly feels they are entitled to their entitlements regardless of the taxpayer's ability to pay.
Which is only fair, considering that the taxpayers feel they are entitled to their entitlements regardless of the government's ability to pay.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I am stunned that a hollywood nutcase would utter such words. Incredible. Just maybe the tide will turn and people will begin to realize that the government doesn't exist to spoon feed the populace.

Maybe Kutcher was stoned????

Or maybe it's a perfect lesson in not being a bigot. You can't decide how an individual thinks and behaves based off their community, their skin, their religion, etc.

No one would ever be banned for over estimating their importance lad. Just welcomed for their humility.

We don't ask pretentious, boring or annoying members to leave. In fact, we don't ask anyone to leave.

We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

Resistance is futile.

Now show me that cute war-face of yours. ;-)

I call bull****. I can't believe you would lie so blatantly Locutus.

I have, on more than one occasion, banned members for being pretentious. :lol: You all should be thankful I dropped my wizzie stick.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
This is why I like team sports for my kids. "Dad, I tried my very best and we still lost." "Yup. There's no E for Effort in the real world son. Next time when you get the chance, you hack that f**king star player right across the wrists, got it?" Joking...

But they learn the essence of competition in a way they don't in school anymore.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You can call them entitlements if you want but I call them services I paid for
CPP and EI and the lot of them. I worked and still do as a farmer and yes I
collect may pension money now and I am Entitled to do so I paid for it.
I am not willing to give up one cent either. The problem is for government and
others, they collected the money used it for government ends in many cases
wasted it and I lived long enough to collect.
No I am not willing to have what I am entitled to chipped away. Entitled to
because I paid for the services rendered up front.
I will actually go and campaign against any government of any stripe that tries
to dismantle what I paid for. You can call them entitlements and they are why
because I didn't get them for free I paid into a fund and now paybacks are hell
that is not my problem.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
But they learn the essence of competition in a way they don't in school anymore.

So long as they stay at that level. Once they hit the point where they're getting scholarships for it and potentially hitting the point of going pro in anything, sports can quickly undo all that and turn kids into the most entitled pricks we've had to deal with in society.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We are focussed on the win loss column too much. Just because you lost
does not mean you lost. Yes we need competition and there are winners
and losers. The key is not to concentrate on winning and losing it is to
concentrate on learning the difference. Learning to take the lessons you
learned from the loss and adapt it to building a successful model for winning.
Henry Ford failed seven times before he got it right. Yes he lost but he
used the lessons learned to become successful. Our compalints are not
well founded as we the adults should be teaching our kids and grand kids
the difference the problem should not be left to schools alone.
Should the young folks be given an opportunity yes. Should they be paying
every cent for their education? Good question. I would be far better to pay
as a society for a good portion of that education. In return we would expect
the graduates to work for society for two or three years at a reduced rate
at the foundation positions in their field. it would teach humility, it would teach
them how hard people really have to work and it would prepare them through
education to understand life's success is not automatic.
Instead we will just call them rotten little buggers who should work for nothing

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

So. . . in a civilised society in the 21st century, like Canada, exactly what is every person entitled to? And how should a civilised society go about delivering those entitlements?

A person is entitled to opportunity. I know we have all kinds of legislation about entitled to free basic education or healthcare but none of it is free, we pay taxes for it. No, the only real 'entitlement' is opportunity. Every person has opportunity to be what they want or do what they want and make their way in this world. Some use that opportunity for success, some let it go by and complain about entitlements.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Or maybe it's a perfect lesson in not being a bigot. You can't decide how an individual thinks and behaves based off their community, their skin, their religion, etc.

I call bull****. I can't believe you would lie so blatantly Locutus.

I have, on more than one occasion, banned members for being pretentious. :lol: You all should be thankful I dropped my wizzie stick.

Take it easy Karrie. I can and do discern a person's thoughts based on what comes out of their mouths. Kutchner or Kutcher or whatever his name is has leaned left. Apparently, you would rather scream "DISCRIMINATION and BIGOT". yawn.....

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

A person is entitled to opportunity. I know we have all kinds of legislation about entitled to free basic education or healthcare but none of it is free, we pay taxes for it. No, the only real 'entitlement' is opportunity. Every person has opportunity to be what they want or do what they want and make their way in this world. Some use that opportunity for success, some let it go by and complain about entitlements.
I disagree. To start with, I think society owes all its members food, clothing, shelter, medical care, safety, security, laws, and education. The reason I list these is that this is what even the most primitive of societies provided to their members. I would suggest that providing these things, at a minimum, is the whole reason societies exist in the first place.