The Conservatives should make the polluter pay- Mandatory insurance - Oil spills can

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sweet!

Hey Pete, what-say you and I get some of this land from ole Cliffy here and start a business getting rid of used oil, transmission fluid and radioactive waste.... Just drill a hole and pour it down.
Count me in but what about all the Provincial regulations that are still in place?

No moving posts. The caps are ridiculous. You know that as well as I do. Human error - go to the transcripts of the Enbridge spill in the US a couple of years back - Control room in Edmonton was a disaster in management - in training - in response - in everything they were supposedly trained to do. Technology did not help- massive human erros by a number of people- They fuked up royally.
How old was that line and when did Enbridge buy it? Would outcome been better or worse if that line was still in the hands of of a company on verge of going tits up? Did the line have the failsafe features of a shiny new line built 40 years later? Yes or no?

If it was still owned by Conoco-Philips would it still have leaked due to age? How would have handled it?

No moving posts. The caps are ridiculous.
Until i mentioned them, you never knew there were caps.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Count me in but what about all the Provincial regulations that are still in place?

How old was that line and when did Enbridge buy it? Would outcome been better or worse if that line was still in the hands of of a company on verge of going tits up? Did the line have the failsafe features of a shiny new line built 40 years later? Yes or no?

If it was still owned by Conoco-Philips would it still have leaked due to age? How would have handled it?

Until i mentioned them, you never knew there were caps.

No I was aware of the caps on oil spills- go to the court cases on the Irving barge that sank -

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
So, we're already doing something, but now you want to add a new layer of profit grabbers to the equation.

Given our petroleum addiction, what that will mean is.... prices of petroleum go up to compensate for their added cost. The 'insurance company' will require a whole new layer of administrators who will cost wages. And then in the end, when a clean up happens, it will still cost the taxpayer near the same amount it always did, because more than half of what was collected by the gov. was mismanaged and paid out via wages, building costs, etc..

It makes zero sense other than to try to prove a point

At least the profit grabber in this case would be the Canadian government.

I think fossil fuel energy costs are too low. Higher costs as a result of insurance for spills/accidents as well as to subsidize renewable energy would encourage us to get off this form of energy or at least reduce our dependence.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I think fossil fuel energy costs are too low. Higher costs as a result of insurance for spills/accidents as well as to subsidize renewable energy would encourage us to get off this form of energy or at least reduce our dependence.

'At least'? Sorry but I don't want anyone taking my money for no good reason.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Fossil fuel costs in Canada are way to high and for no good reason other than the governments don't have the balls to stand up to multinational companies. And they have found it to be one more way of stealing peoples money via taxes. Fuel for Canadians should be dirt cheap to make our industries more competitive.

Cause green energy, except for hydro power is not cost competitive and probably never will be unless fossil fuel prices are artificially raised through the roof.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
'At least'? Sorry but I don't want anyone taking my money for no good reason.
lol Too late. We have such things we call gov'ts. :D

Fossil fuel costs in Canada are way to high and for no good reason other than the governments don't have the balls to stand up to multinational companies. And they have found it to be one more way of stealing peoples money via taxes. Fuel for Canadians should be dirt cheap to make our industries more competitive.
You're kidding, right?
I have this theory, and I can back it up with a pile of evidence, that gov't kisses azz of big business. As I keep saying, we do not have a democracy, we have a plutocracy combined with an oligarchy (plutarchy).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
lol Too late. We have such things we call gov'ts. :D

You're kidding, right?
I have this theory, and I can back it up with a pile of evidence, that gov't kisses azz of big business. As I keep saying, we do not have a democracy, we have a plutocracy combined with an oligarchy (plutarchy).
Democracy is a huge failure but it's best failure we have. We could always go back the Church being Govt?