The Apology and Teddy Bear Grief

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I have been watching our PM on his apology circuits and I have to ask myself, "Why? Why is he apologizing?" Justin Trudeau may be guilty of a lot of things, but his government did not cause the injustices that have been inflicted on First Nations or any other demographic that has suffered injustices at the hands of our ignorant ancestors. I am not minimizing these injustices either. They were despicable acts, pulling children from their families, abusing them for their cultural beliefs and trying to indoctrinate them into a Christian based ideology.

If we are to move on from that, an acknowledgement of these injustices is certainly necessary. But an apology?

What does Justin Trudeau really know or feel about the injustices and ignorance of the officials who perpetrated these acts against these demographics? Does he have a connection? I don't think so. It's akin to me apologizing to African Americans or Canadians for slavery or racism. While I know these things existed and that there is a possibility that someone in my bloodline might have been involved in such acts, I haven't and I did not know the perpetrators.

I equate these apology tours to Teddy Bear Grief. You know the scene. Someone or a bunch of someones are killed in a senseless tragedy in which perfect strangers descend on the scene to share in the grief for a person they've never met in their life. There are candle light vigils and tears and of course teddy bears. I believe, and I know this is being cynical, that these individuals are doing so for their own reasons and have very little to do with reconciliation or community support. It's more about being a part of the story or laying claim to righting the story.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was one of the first Canadian government officials to give an apology to First Nations regarding the injustices their people endured. And while I think an acknowledgement of those injustices was necessary, I find the apology that accompanied it rather hollow.

To truly apologize, we must understand what it is we are apologizing for and feel true remorse. How can we feel that if we were not the ones who were responsible? The present PM has been on an apology tour like no other PM before him, but at what point do the apologies become as hollow as the individual delivering it?

I would guess, and this is my cynicism again, that our Prime Minister will be digging up every demographic that needs an apology between now and the coming federal election. I also believe that his apologies are as empty as his excuses about SNC Lavalin.

Thoughts?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well for one the government of the day was doing the chiefs bidding by setting up a school system to teach the natives modern ways allowing them to participate in the modern world . Unfortunately a lot of bad came out of the residential school system . That bad has been magnified many times over and the good buried . The system set up was modeled after the British residential schools and was thought to be workable for Canadian natives . And they did work up to a point . Many natives went through these schools without the physical and sexual abuse that is said to have run rampant . The discipline was the same as public schools of the time I/e the strap . We all used to get that ..

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
My thoughts are that anyone who doesn't understand what the apology is for is probably too stupid to matter anyway.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
My thoughts are that anyone who doesn't understand what the apology is for is probably too stupid to matter anyway.
What apology specifically are you talking about ?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
I'm sorry you have such trouble with simple things.

Life must be difficult.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm sorry you have such trouble with simple things.

Life must be difficult.
I am sure it is for you . All your favourite left leaning governments are in disarray . Marcon in France , Merkel in Germany , Trudeau in Canada , Democrats in America . Brexit appears to be happening . Is anything going right for your side ?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Notice how Hoid is willing to alter his principles based on what Groper does? Defends Groper's apology tour for native people but dog piles on JWR because she had the temerity to stand up for principles instead of Groper's attempted obstruction of justice.

So basically, Hoid does whatever Groper does. And these ALT-left morons actually think they're everyone's intellectual superior. :lol:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Notice how Hoid is willing to alter his principles based on what Groper does? Defends Groper's apology tour for native people but dog piles on JWR because she had the temerity to stand up for principles instead of Groper's attempted obstruction of justice.

So basically, Hoid does whatever Groper does. And these ALT-left morons actually think they're everyone's intellectual superior. :lol:

There's plenty of Kool Aid being drank on both sides of the political spectrum.

Down South the flavor is orange, up here it's red, but falling out of favor.

Come November it will probably be this color.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

Here's Harper apologizing to First Nations over Residential Schools.

Is that a mystery to you as well?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Here's Harper apologizing to First Nations over Residential Schools.
Is that a mystery to you as well?
Nope. The mystery would be why Groper felt the need to apologize for it AFTER Harper already did. Actually it's no mystery, it's all part of his Grand Apology and Virtue Signaling Tour. Empty platitudes and LOTS of emotional relativism.
I guess Harper's apology wasn't sincere or staged enough what with the lack of fake tears and shit.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have been watching our PM on his apology circuits and I have to ask myself, "Why? Why is he apologizing?" Justin Trudeau may be guilty of a lot of things, but his government did not cause the injustices that have been inflicted on First Nations or any other demographic that has suffered injustices at the hands of our ignorant ancestors. I am not minimizing these injustices either. They were despicable acts, pulling children from their families, abusing them for their cultural beliefs and trying to indoctrinate them into a Christian based ideology.
If we are to move on from that, an acknowledgement of these injustices is certainly necessary. But an apology?
What does Justin Trudeau really know or feel about the injustices and ignorance of the officials who perpetrated these acts against these demographics? Does he have a connection? I don't think so. It's akin to me apologizing to African Americans or Canadians for slavery or racism. While I know these things existed and that there is a possibility that someone in my bloodline might have been involved in such acts, I haven't and I did not know the perpetrators.
I equate these apology tours to Teddy Bear Grief. You know the scene. Someone or a bunch of someones are killed in a senseless tragedy in which perfect strangers descend on the scene to share in the grief for a person they've never met in their life. There are candle light vigils and tears and of course teddy bears. I believe, and I know this is being cynical, that these individuals are doing so for their own reasons and have very little to do with reconciliation or community support. It's more about being a part of the story or laying claim to righting the story.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper was one of the first Canadian government officials to give an apology to First Nations regarding the injustices their people endured. And while I think an acknowledgement of those injustices was necessary, I find the apology that accompanied it rather hollow.
To truly apologize, we must understand what it is we are apologizing for and feel true remorse. How can we feel that if we were not the ones who were responsible? The present PM has been on an apology tour like no other PM before him, but at what point do the apologies become as hollow as the individual delivering it?
I would guess, and this is my cynicism again, that our Prime Minister will be digging up every demographic that needs an apology between now and the coming federal election. I also believe that his apologies are as empty as his excuses about SNC Lavalin.
Thoughts?
I like it. "We can't really know how you feel, so we refuse to apologize."

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Thoughts?

I'll admit, a while ago I would have been supportive of the apology stuff. IMO to me, while it might seem not needed, I think it could say a lot to some that there is an apology out there at least for what happened. (Some; granted not all care about an apology and many will ignore it).

Apologies for things that happened don't really hurt, do they? And at least it can be said later that if the issue is pushed the fact there was an official apology by the Government, not just acknowledgement of the wrong of the situation, makes any protest less valid. I mean, that the government acknowledged things was okay, but no apology for what happened I can see would tick people off. This at least covers that "We deserve an apology" cry of outrage.

However... I also have to agree, at least now, that it does look like the PM is working the demographics to get more votes for the Liberals.

Do I think he means the apologies? Meh, I don't know to be honest.

Does it look bad? Considering things now, yeah.

Would it make me vote Liberal in the coming election? No. Right now I don't see anyone worth voting for in the election what so ever.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Nope. The mystery would be why Groper felt the need to apologize for it AFTER Harper already did. Actually it's no mystery, .

This is just a shot in the dark but do you think its maybe because it had nothing to do with residential schools?