The American Dream Does Not Include Vacations

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Which brings up another question which one wouldn't ask in public for fear of being killed. (Also I've enjoyed more than my share of paid vacations) But to get back to basics, should one really be paid anything for not working? Where does the money for that pay come from? When one person gets a freeby, obviously another person is being screwed. Ya can't suck and blow at the same time!

It's to the employers advantage to have content workers, if that two or three weeks off makes them more productive in the end, I don't think their bottom line is going to suffer.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's to the employers advantage to have content workers, if that two or three weeks off makes them more productive in the end, I don't think their bottom line is going to suffer.
The problem is that just about everything in our politics and businesses is run by bean counters and they don't factor such logic into their calculations.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
A few? Welfare fraud in Massachusetts is in the tens of millions. But the people who live free and full lives, vacationing in Hawaii basically say...

"Hey... I didn't create the system... this is all legal."

They're right. The Governor said on the radio that "If a woman needs a to get a manicure before a job interview they should be able to use the EBT card."

Yeah right Gov. The thousands of dollars spent at beauty salons and spas last year were all people trying to get off welfare.

Our poor live better than the wealthy and middle class of most countries. They get free everything. Even trips to the beauty salons and tattoos.

You need to reform your system then. In Ontario, I believe welfare recipients automatically have their rent deducted from their monthly stipend and the remainder goes to the person, which isn't a whole lot, certainly not enough to be getting their fingernails painted./

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The fact that it actually grants its workers longer vacations than the supposedly more developed USA is the entire point of the comparison., but once again you missed the point.

I think it is a culture thing as well. I was surprised seeing ciestas in Spain. Those would never work here. At least I don't think they would. I suppose it simply isn't part of our culture to have so much vacation time.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think it is a culture thing as well. I was surprised seeing ciestas in Spain. Those would never work here. At least I don't think they would. I suppose it simply isn't part of our culture to have so much vacation time.

I take maybe 10 days off a year, mostly to have long weekends during the summer. I get a little stir crazy if I sit around for more then 3-4 days.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You need to reform your system then. In Ontario, I believe welfare recipients automatically have their rent deducted from their monthly stipend and the remainder goes to the person, which isn't a whole lot, certainly not enough to be getting their fingernails painted./

We do but it will never happen. Not in this state at any rate. Massachusetts is lock solid Democrat and very liberal. It is a right for Welfare recipients to have their visits to Nail Salons and Spas paid for by the taxpayers here. We should only people who earn their money be able to have such luxuries and exotic vacations?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We do but it will never happen. Not in this state at any rate. Massachusetts is lock solid Democrat and very liberal. It is a right for Welfare recipients to have their visits to Nail Salons and Spas paid for by the taxpayers here. We should only people who earn their money be able to have such luxuries and exotic vacations?
Might it not have something to do with the advertising of America, the land of milk and honey. Everybody who immigrated there were sold that bill of goods. Now that they expect it, all whining and bitching begins.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Might it not have something to do with the advertising of America, the land of milk and honey. Everybody who immigrated there were sold that bill of goods. Now that they expect it, all whining and bitching begins.

They get here in Massachusetts for sure. All for free. Cars, health care, food, housing, spending cash, taxpayer funded vacations... milk and honey baby! Just stop working and claim your entitlements from the state and don't forget to vote Democrat!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do they do that for Canadians too? Will they buy me a dacha so I can spend summer there growing veg like the Soviets?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They get here in Massachusetts for sure. All for free. Cars, health care, food, housing, spending cash, taxpayer funded vacations... milk and honey baby! Just stop working and claim your entitlements from the state and don't forget to vote Democrat!

Recent Changes in Massachusetts Welfare and Work, Child Care, and Child Welfare Systems

I think you might be exaggerating a bit, Eagle. According to 2000 funding levels, the TSNF (TANF = Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) was between $565-$579/m. You certainly won't be able to buy a car on that or any luxury for that matter.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Recent Changes in Massachusetts Welfare and Work, Child Care, and Child Welfare Systems

I think you might be exaggerating a bit, Eagle. According to 2000 funding levels, the TSNF (TANF = Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) was between $565-$579/m. You certainly won't be able to buy a car on that or any luxury for that matter.

The state has a program where you can get a free car, insurance, repairs even a AAA membership!

Free cars for poor fuel road rage - BostonHerald.com

Temporary... now THAT is funny. Whole generations of Massachusetts families are on welfare. That money amount you quoted... that is probably just the spending cash they get on top of the free food and housing vouchers and everything else that is simply handed over.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
The state has a program where you can get a free car, insurance, repairs even a AAA membership!

Free cars for poor fuel road rage - BostonHerald.com

Temporary... now THAT is funny. Whole generations of Massachusetts families are on welfare. That money amount you quoted... that is probably just the spending cash they get on top of the free food and housing vouchers and everything else that is simply handed over.

The free car thing is pretty ridiculous, I can understand maybe free transit passes but cars is another story...

The same is here but I don't think that's a systematic problem, some people will just abuse programs that are available to them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The free car thing is pretty ridiculous, I can understand maybe free transit passes but cars is another story...

The same is here but I don't think that's a systematic problem, some people will just abuse programs that are available to them.

I believe that it's fair to say that human nature often seeks the path of least resistance... Providing too many soft options is a disservice to everyone.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I find vacations stressful. Laying around doing nothing drives me nuts when I think of all the projects that are not being done.

Why are you laying around doing nothing on your vacation? I travel, visit friends, hit the beach, canoe/camp, indulge my hobbies... I could vacation 52 weeks a year and I still wouldn't have enough time to do everything I wanted. why don't you offer to work on your vacation so your co-workers can have more time off? I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
It's not your English that's the problem, it's your heavily faulted logic that confounds the issues so greatly.

I suppose that the Costa Rican gvt could also offer free oil changes to everyone that owns a Ferrari too, although it won't do any good to the average person.

Too funny... I wonder how many 'average' Costa Ricans (in this developing nation and all) can actually afford to take the time off and travel or do nothing as opposed to use the time to augment their income elsewhere.

Right - I do note that in none of your posts have you refuted the main point of the article - that the average American are overworked as well as underpaid. Nor have you pointed out s single flaw in my logic. But keep trying - I am sure that your attempts at misdirection will appeal to a few of members of CC, provided they share your lack of comprehension.

And I see you still don't get the point about the Costa Rica comparison. Perhaps you can get someone else to explain the analogy; someone who will have to use a lot of small words.