Tarrifs on Steel are for security concerns?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Has this mental midget lost his ****ing mind. Well, if we in Canada pose a security risk, I guess we're not good enough to support America in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.

What a numbfukk this President is! Stupid to the ****ing bone and about as bright as the color black.

How can anyone defend this administration or its stupidity?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Has this mental midget lost his ****ing mind. Well, if we in Canada pose a security risk, I guess we're not good enough to support America in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.

What a numbfukk this President is! Stupid to the ****ing bone and about as bright as the color black.

What do you propose policy-wise?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Canada has tariffs on the same aluminum and steel products from the same countries for identical reasons. It's flat out garbage.

He had to plug the hole.

This is just Liberal double speak about it being unfair.

Apparently our tarrifs are too low if there is still a profit to be made funneling this shit through Canada.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Trump has two kinds of people in his world: He/Him/Himself and Enemies. Canada is now in the "enemy" column, apparently.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Maybe Canada should impose a 1/3 import tariff on US electronics. Should we impose an export tariff on our non-renewable resources to the US, we'd impose overhead production costs on US manufacturers. Should we impose a 1/3 export tariff on Canadian exports of alcohol, nicotine products, and animal products and byproducts to the US, we'd impose extra costs on luxury products si as to not hurt the poorest Americans while still hurting US middle ti upper class consumers. They'll demand higher wages which in turn will impose addition overhead costs on manufacturers.

If we then impose a 1/3 import tariff on US electronics sold to Canada, we could devastate much if the US electronics industry.

We could then make it easier for Americans to work in the Canadian electronics industry. In short, we could poach silicon valley. Imagine if we could get Microsoft and Google to relocate to Canada. Canada is not a powerful country, but the US is,now fighting a multifront war.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Maybe you should read what I posted and go back to the first tarrifs thread from a few months ago.

In there you'll hopefully learn that Canada has tarrifs on the same steel and the same aluminium products from the same sources as the US

Both US and Canada have had them in place for nearly a decade.

Ours was renewed 2 years ago and Trump is renewing the tarrifs Obama put on the same products.

These steel and aluminum products have killed people.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

In this case, I can. The President can only raise or lower tariffs unilaterally on national security grounds. So Trump's alleged reasoning is that our national security requires a healthy metals industry, and "unfair" imports hurt our metals industry, therefore threatening our national security.

It's kinda like cops mumbling "suspicious activity" to get around the rule that they can only detain you on suspicion of a crime.

Maybe Canada should impose a 1/3 import tariff on US electronics. Should we impose an export tariff on our non-renewable resources to the US, we'd impose overhead production costs on US manufacturers. Should we impose a 1/3 export tariff on Canadian exports of alcohol, nicotine products, and animal products and byproducts to the US, we'd impose extra costs on luxury products si as to not hurt the poorest Americans while still hurting US middle ti upper class consumers. They'll demand higher wages which in turn will impose addition overhead costs on manufacturers.

If we then impose a 1/3 import tariff on US electronics sold to Canada, we could devastate much if the US electronics industry.

We could then make it easier for Americans to work in the Canadian electronics industry. In short, we could poach silicon valley. Imagine if we could get Microsoft and Google to relocate to Canada. Canada is not a powerful country, but the US is,now fighting a multifront war.

Listen, pendejo, a country with 1/10 of our population can't "devastate" anything.

You pop off stupid ideas like a fireworks show.

And the one good idea you would have had if you had sense enough to pour piss out of a boot would be for Canada to coordinate its response with the EU, Mexico, and possibly Japan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In this case, I can. The President can only raise or lower tariffs unilaterally on national security grounds. So Trump's alleged reasoning is that our national security requires a healthy metals industry, and "unfair" imports hurt our metals industry, therefore threatening our national security.

It's kinda like cops mumbling "suspicious activity" to get around the rule that they can only detain you on suspicion of a crime.

Some of the same garbage steel and aluminium has founds it's way into warships, aircraft, refineries, reactors, chemical plants, autos, appliances and so forth.

I don't want that shit in my country or yours.

Listen, pendejo, a country with 1/10 of our population can't "devastate" anything.

You pop off stupid ideas like a fireworks show.

And the one good idea you would have had if you had sense enough to pour piss out of a boot would be for Canada to coordinate its response with the EU, Mexico, and possibly Japan.

He forgot condom and dildo tarrifs.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Easy , lowest unemployment rate in years . Highest percentage of minotiry participation in the workforce ever .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Easy , lowest unemployment rate in years . Highest percentage of minotiry participation in the workforce ever .

The unemployment rate among the Pennsyltuckey hillbillies that make up a big chunk of Trump's power base is rather high. They're the ones that Trump is trying to placate right now and they are the same ones that are going to get the bum-titty-bum when they figure out that re-starting their 80 year old steel mills ain't gonna happen, tarifs or not.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Some of the same garbage steel and aluminium has founds it's way into warships, aircraft, refineries, reactors, chemical plants, autos, appliances and so forth.

I don't want that shit in my country or yours.

He forgot condom and dildo tarrifs.

The Johnson St. bridge comes to mind. Made in China steel was such a good deal it took two years and three orders to get beams that would pass inspection.

Back in the 1970s we got a deal on made in Korea steel. 3/4 plate turned out to be two pieces of 3/8 they somehow fused together. Couldn't cut it with a torch worth a shit and it was full of rust pockets.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

A leager,
ledger (lĕjˈər)►

• n.
    A book in which the monetary transactions of a business are posted in the form of debits and credits.
  • n.
    A book to which the record of accounts is transferred as final entry from original postings.
  • n.
    A slab of stone laid flat over a grave.
More at Wordnik

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Johnson St. bridge comes to mind. Made in China steel was such a good deal it took two years and three orders to get beams that would pass inspection.

Back in the 1970s we got a deal on made in Korea steel. 3/4 plate turned out to be two pieces of 3/8 they somehow fused together. Couldn't cut it with a torch worth a shit and it was full of rust pockets.

Finally somebody else who gets it. Thanks.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

You're just getting this now? Lol

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
So you deserve it; more and more according to your support :mad:

It must be tough being so insecure that you need to prop yourself up with a fairy tale.

I can accept, bad deal, needs tweaking or whatever doublespeak the orange menace wants to advance his BS platform, but Canada as a national security risk is insulting.

So, fukk him.

You're just getting this now? Lol

Where you been pinhead? I've never supported Trump.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It must be tough being so insecure that you need to prop yourself up with a fairy tale.

I can accept, bad deal, needs tweaking or whatever doublespeak the orange menace wants to advance his BS platform, but Canada as a national security risk is insulting.

So, fukk him.

Oh, certainly. I was just explaining why he mouthed "national security" to justify this piece of imbecility. I wasn't in any way approving.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Terrifying Images Emerge From Within Once-Peaceful-Now-A-Security-Threat Nation Of Canada

WARNING: The following article contains images of people generally enjoying life and not bothering anyone. They cannot be unseen.
In the wake of Donald Trump’s declaration that Canada represents a security threat, and then using that declassified intelligence as justification to tariff the northern nation back to a safe status, images are beginning to emerge from the peace-torn nation. They paint a horrifying picture of a depravedly-genial country in which many people live their entire lives without holding a loaded gun, or threatening to use such, and where speaking out against the nation’s overbearing rulers can get you a witheringly polite defense of your right to debate in a townhall meeting. Yes. It is stomach turning. Again, the images below are not for the dark of heart.

http://outabouter.com/2018/06/02/te...ceful-now-a-security-threat-nation-of-canada/