New Brunswick
  • Sad
Reactions: taxslave

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
That's not what the story said.

Be advised: The NY Post is a red-top rag.

I actually saw this on a news show I follow; they linked the story to the NY Post.

But you're right I should have looked further into it before posting. The Post got it from The Telegraph which is right leaning UK, so...

That said the idea is still interesting.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I actually saw this on a news show I follow; they linked the story to the NY Post.

But you're right I should have looked further into it before posting. The Post got it from The Telegraph which is right leaning UK, so...

It's a straight-forward medical malpractice case. She's suing the doctor for not advising a treatment that would have improved her chances of being born without spina bifida. Hundreds of suits like that get filed every year, suing doctors for not advising this-or-that treatment.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

If you like the idea of eugenics.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It's a straight-forward medical malpractice case. She's suing the doctor for not advising a treatment that would have improved her chances of being born without spina bifida. Hundreds of suits like that get filed every year, suing doctors for not advising this-or-that treatment.

True enough.

But there will be some who will jump on the focus of her birth being an 'issue' and to me it, again, raises an interesting question of - if an extremely medically compromised person can now sue for what was not done before their birth, will that lead to more abortions, support of abortions, or less?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Well this might change things in the US if this becomes 'a thing'.

Will abortion be okay then?

I can understand the woman's POV though, sadly enough.
‘WRONGFUL CONCEPTION’: U.K. woman with spina bifida sues mother’s doctor and wins
Author of the article:
Denette Wilford
Publishing date:
Dec 02, 2021 • 15 hours ago • 2 minute read •
Join the conversation
Young woman and her pony.
Young woman and her pony. Photo by Evie Toombes /Instagram
Article content

A woman in the U.K. who sued her mother’s doctor, claiming she should never have been born, has won potentially millions in damages.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Evie Toombes, 20, suffers from spina bifida and sometimes spends entire days connected to tubes.

She launched the landmark “wrongful conception” case against Dr. Philip Mitchell, claiming he failed to advise her mother, Caroline, to take vital supplements prior to conception, reported The Sun .

Toombes alleged that if the physician told her mother to take folic acid to minimize the risk of spina bifida affecting her baby, she would have held off getting pregnant and she would not have been born.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Showjumper…+health issues🤷🏻‍♀️ (@evie.toombes)

Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Toombes’ barrister, Susan Rodway, reportedly told the court that her client, a successful showjumper who competes against both able-bodied and disabled riders, was suing for “wrongful conception” for “having been born in a damaged state.”

Judge Rosalind Coe ruled in favour of Toombes, awarding her the right to a huge compensation payout. According to the paper, the exact amount has yet to be confirmed but her lawyers believe it would be “big” since it would cover the cost of her care for the rest of her life.

The judge found that if Dr. Mitchell reinforced the importance of taking folic acid supplements before getting pregnant, Caroline would have delayed conceiving, started taking folic acid, and then attempt to conceive.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“He told me it was not necessary,” said Caroline. “I was advised that if I had a good diet previously, I would not have to take folic acid.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Her daughter was diagnosed with a lipomylomeningocoele (LMM), a form of neural tube defect to the spine leading to permanent disability, shortly after she was born in November 2001.

Despite her successful showjumping career, her mobility is “very limited” and she will require a wheelchair as she grows older. Toombes also suffers bowel and bladder issues, the court heard.
More On This Topic

Comedian and media mogul Byron Allen poses for a picture in Los Angeles on Sept. 5, 2019.
Byron Allen's $10B McDonald's racial discrimination lawsuit tossed
Summer Zervos, a former contestant on
Former 'Apprentice' contestant Zervos abruptly ends lawsuit against Donald Trump
Dr. Terry Polevoy, who is now retired, is seen here in 2005.
MANDEL: Retired 'quackbuster' fights defamation lawsuit over COVID-19 tweets

The doctor’s lawyer denied liability, suggesting Caroline may have already been pregnant at their visit, and that Dr. Mitchell provided her with “reasonable advice.”

But the judge wasn’t having it.

If Caroline had held off getting pregnant, her lawyer said she would have had a “normal, healthy” baby, one that was a “genetically different person” than Evie.