Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with aliens

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well said Sir Joseph Porter ... I have Great respect for Stephen Hawkings (He's even on my twitter list lol) But with Astro Biology being a great past time/Passion for me , I would tend to disagree with him on this subject ... 1 and zero's still have a problem explaining or simulating life/existence...

" Although Odds are Evolution. It leaves open some room for surprise " .....
"It's amazing that we're he at all ..Keeps us asking why ... It's an absolute truth that we're here and we're all gonna die.." Song Absolute Truth ..By 0dds R Evolution ..

Over and out there ..from here...Peace

I agree with the sentiment of the song (it is amazing we are here at all). Evolution of humans was not fore ordained. It as pure chance that humans evolved. If conditions on earth had been slightly different, it is quite possible that there would be another intelligent species on earth today, in place of humans.

Indeed, Mother Nature tried different paths to intelligence. Dolphins, primates, elephants. Dolphins took to water, so there was no possibility of them forming intelligent civilization (they cannot form tools in water, also they could not develop limbs in water).

Elephants is an interesting possibility. Elephants are fully as intelligent as apes, they show amazing social structure, amazing intelligence, memory etc. So it is quite possible that if conditions were slightly different, elephants would have beat out the primates in forming intelligence and earth would be populated by intelligent elephants today rather than intelligent primates.

So yes, the sentiment in the song is quite accurate.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Just keeping ya on your toes ;-)

In reality, we're all aliens, everything living on this planet is alien.... apparently we all grew from micro-organisms from comets that crashed on the planet eons ago, which explains why things don't quite seem right at times.

At least that's on theory of how we got here.... but I don't consider myself anymore alien then any other living thing on this planet.... plants, insects, animals, etc....

That certainly is one theory. Another is that an alien race came to earth for a picnic, left some garbage behind, and we evolved from the alien garbage.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I agree with the sentiment of the song (it is amazing we are here at all). Evolution of humans was not fore ordained. It as pure chance that humans evolved. If conditions on earth had been slightly different, it is quite possible that there would be another intelligent species on earth today, in place of humans.

Indeed, Mother Nature tried different paths to intelligence. Dolphins, primates, elephants. Dolphins took to water, so there was no possibility of them forming intelligent civilization (they cannot form tools in water, also they could not develop limbs in water).

Elephants is an interesting possibility. Elephants are fully as intelligent as apes, they show amazing social structure, amazing intelligence, memory etc. So it is quite possible that if conditions were slightly different, elephants would have beat out the primates in forming intelligence and earth would be populated by intelligent elephants today rather than intelligent primates.

Compared to humans, dolphins are highly civilized. Technology doesn't mean squat.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

lmao Whatta load based on a massive misunderstanding of evolution.
First off, it is not only possible that there would be something different than the existing lines of humans, it is inevitable simply because of the changes you mentioned.
The rest of your comment, someone else can pick apart.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"That certainly is one theory. Another is that an alien race came to earth for a picnic, left some garbage behind, and we evolved from the alien garbage."

Another theory is that Earth is nothing more than the Australia of the Galaxy/Universe. Those who breached the line of common decency were condemned to live and leave their unfortunate descendants on Earth.

There are many on these forums that would encourage that theory.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Not actually. Excluding alien life forms that may have landed here, everything living is native. It wasn't micro-organisms that landed here, it was simply the necessary parts to start micro-organisms living here. Your mum and dad could have been born in Tasmania but if their sperm and egg mix in Canada and you are born here, you are a native Canuck.

Eeewww.... Don't need mental images, Thank'Uuuu....

But actually it only matter's where you were born, not where you were conceived when it comes to citizenship. ie: my wife and I bump uglies here in Canada, then we move in a couple of months to Australia and she shoots one out across the room..... it's now an Australian citizen.

Actually I think the baby would be Dual.... but we'll figure that out when the time comes.

But back to the asteroids and the beginning of life on this planet... the things that started life on this planet, didn't originate on this planet from the moment the planet was created, since at the start, Earth was more or less an atmosphere'less chunk of stone and lava/magma being constantly bombarded by comets and asteroids, which it is suspected the moon was formed from much of the debris surrounding the Earth during that time.... but I suppose that's for another discussion, and is just one of many "Theories"

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"That certainly is one theory. Another is that an alien race came to earth for a picnic, left some garbage behind, and we evolved from the alien garbage."

Another theory is that Earth is nothing more than the Australia of the Galaxy/Universe. Those who breached the line of common decency were condemned to live and leave their unfortunate descendants on Earth.

lol I wouldn't be surprised at that hypothesis either.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well that brings a whole new meaning to "White Trash" :lol:

Don't worry, I'm white, that's our word and we can say it, lol.

I am not kidding. That has been seriously advanced as a scientific theory. And indeed, that would be as plausible as life coming to earth in a meteor or an asteroid.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

*Shakes Fist* I knew it!

Damn those aliens.... just they wait until we start traveling space.... By Jeepers, we'll show them for what they did.

We should be afraid of aliens?

Maybe they're afraid of us.

That's right... we're the Klingons of Space, now where's my damn Blood Wine?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Eeewww.... Don't need mental images, Thank'Uuuu....
lol

But actually it only matter's where you were born, not where you were conceived when it comes to citizenship. ie: my wife and I bump uglies here in Canada, then we move in a couple of months to Australia and she shoots one out across the room..... it's now an Australian citizen.

Actually I think the baby would be Dual.... but we'll figure that out when the time comes.
I wish you well. :)

But back to the asteroids and the beginning of life on this planet... the things that started life on this planet, didn't originate on this planet from the moment the planet was created, since at the start, Earth was more or less an atmosphere'less chunk of stone and lava/magma being constantly bombarded by comets and asteroids, which it is suspected the moon was formed from much of the debris surrounding the Earth during that time.... but I suppose that's for another discussion, and is just one of many "Theories"
But those bits of pieces that weren't yet life, enabled life to be born on this planet and hence, the life itself is native.