Should we really be teaching Evolution in schools??

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ever been lonely and wanted someone to love you back?
Yup, that is why people make up imaginary friends, like gods.

If you mean god gets lonely, you must be kidding. Isn't he supposed to have heavenly hosts and angels to keep him company. I can just see it now, god sitting on his throne singing, "I'm so ronery, I'm so ronery!" as he scans the vastness of space and sees an insignificant spec of dust inhabited with silly little creatures that are so insecure they had to invent a god to make themselves feel OK. "Ya! I want them tiny little Who to worship me because I'm feeling so unloved today." So he sends a messenger to tell them they had better worship god or they will fry in hell for eternity.

Makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
If my memory is correct (high school was a long time ago for me), high school physics also teaches that centrifugal force is real. I recall one memorable exam question. We were given that Tom Sawyer is swinging a dead rat by its tail, and the necessary data, like the tail's tensile strength, and instructed to calculate what angular velocity he'd have to achieve to snap the tail off. I liked that teacher a lot. He did a lot of demonstrations that involved dropping heavy things on the floor, because the senior French teacher, whom everybody in the school despised, was in the classroom right below his.

More to the point, a lot of what's taught in schools is of the "lies told to children" variety of information, in the sense that they're oversimplified versions of what's really known. I think it probably has to be that way, and university really isn't much different, at least in the undergraduate years. You don't start out with general relativity in first year physics, for instance, you go through classical physics first, so you might get Lagrange's and Hamilton's formulations of Newton's version before you get to Einstein. Same with evolution. There are some basic ideas you can impart at the high school level, but that's about it. Given that a major purpose of high school, or at least what I think should be a major purpose of high school, is to expose students to as broad a range of human knowledge as possible so they have a foundation on which to make reasoned decisions about what to pursue further, if anything, it can't really be any other way.

My physics teacher distinguished between the real centripetal force and the illusory centrifugal force. The centripetal force is ripping your rat's tail, the centrifugal force is the illusory force that sends the rat flying when the tail breaks.

My favorite teachers were always heavy into demos too. The one guy that was one of my favorites wasn't even my teacher. I was his assistant in a lab course. I can remember spending my weekends setting up demos with him.

OMICSGroup

May 31, 2012
Remember, half of all people are below average intelligence. Apparently, evolution is a difficult concept for some.

I would say that gravity shouldn't be taught in schools, because it is as real as centrifugal force, but I think that would go over many people's heads. I don't think one would have much luck teaching general relativity in schools, so Newton's law of gravitation it is...
Yes..half of the students are below average students,At this generation,all the students has to know all the concepts about evolution and other topics to increase their knowledge from school days onwards..

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Depends, I guess on whether you teach it as a theory or as a fact! :smile:

Based on the dichotomy you propose, I think you are really misunderstanding just what a scientific theory is.

Evolution itself is a fact, just like gravity is a fact. These things occur and are seen by those who look.

Natural selection and general relativity are theories. They explain observations and make predictions which have practical real world uses.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hey,

I,ve been away a while, but am back to stir the pot.

I came across this video and need some of the stronger minded members of the forum to debunk it - if they can. I don't mean that they should make remarks about religion and their beliefs, as that will likely lead the thread off topic. But rather to prove statements in the video wrong. I'm having a lot of trouble with it as I am sharp as some others or as I used to be.

Thank You So Much.

Remember - Don't let strangers play with your ORGONE!!!!

100 Reasons Why Evolution is So Stupid - YouTube

Humans is pork and chimp, the parts are interchangeable. Evolution is driven by intercourse obviously. Darwin was full of shjt.

If my memory is correct (high school was a long time ago for me), high school physics also teaches that centrifugal force is real. I recall one memorable exam question. We were given that Tom Sawyer is swinging a dead rat by its tail, and the necessary data, like the tail's tensile strength, and instructed to calculate what angular velocity he'd have to achieve to snap the tail off. I liked that teacher a lot. He did a lot of demonstrations that involved dropping heavy things on the floor, because the senior French teacher, whom everybody in the school despised, was in the classroom right below his.

More to the point, a lot of what's taught in schools is of the "lies told to children" variety of information, in the sense that they're oversimplified versions of what's really known. I think it probably has to be that way, and university really isn't much different, at least in the undergraduate years. You don't start out with general relativity in first year physics, for instance, you go through classical physics first, so you might get Lagrange's and Hamilton's formulations of Newton's version before you get to Einstein. Same with evolution. There are some basic ideas you can impart at the high school level, but that's about it. Given that a major purpose of high school, or at least what I think should be a major purpose of high school, is to expose students to as broad a range of human knowledge as possible so they have a foundation on which to make reasoned decisions about what to pursue further, if anything, it can't really be any other way.

Excellent post, I agree with every bit of it. Four years later. I suppose the whiskey has killed you ny now.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I don't believe evolution should be taught in schools as fact. It should be presented as a theory only if the subject must be introduced at all.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I fixed it for ya, cause obviously YOUR hybrid is a tad off.

The gods made us as we are. Youi are not a believer.

A believer in whatÉ

Oh damn, look at that É Now I have to reboot my computer because JLM has already stated that when this happens É itès a computer problem, not a user error and can only be fixed by rebooting the computer.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Are you not a tad off!? Hey, this is what the science says. We eat our predecessors. Every generation eats the previous generation.

Or it dosn't realize. Eat the old, they're easy to catchg, they can only shuffel about. Easy fuel.

I'm inclined to celebrate my heritage.

Let's climb a tree together and root about the yard for mushrooms.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Religion is a must, if you have no philosophy you goin nowhere.

I'm green. We will grow a solution, or we will perish, there's lots of time to get it right. You do want to get off this planet don't you?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Religion is a must, if you have no philosophy you goin nowhere.

I'm green. We will grow a solution, or we will perish, there's lots of time to get it right. You do want to get off this planet don't you?
I will live a certain number of years, then my body will wear down and I will die. After that, who knows.