Seniors Losing Mobile Homes in BC. Government at Fault??????

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
Seniors losing mobile homes blame B.C. government
CBC - A group of seniors being evicted from their waterfront neighbourhood on Vancouver Island are imploring the B.C. government for help.
The mobile home park they live in has been sold and the seniors - some in their 70s and 80s - have been told to move their trailers out by next May.
"Inhumane is the term that I've used," said resident Joan Auld, 72. "It's inhumane to treat people like this."Auld and her husband, Terry, live at the Saltair Seaside Trailer Park near Ladysmith along with nine other residents. Last year, the property was purchased for $1.9 million by two businessmen who want to rebuild there.

Above is the caption from the internet.

I would like to know why the people believe that the government is at fault. The government did not make them pay rent in the mobile home park. Free enterprize did and when free enterprize sold the land the new owner can do what he wants with the land, as long as he complys with zoning laws.
Maybe what these people want is that the government take them from cradle to grave. The governement can do this but need some more money. Instead of paying a tax rate of 35% maybe it should be 70% of your earned income, to pay for these people that cannot think for themselves

Last edited:
Reactions: Cherub786

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sounds like they're doing a great job of thinking for themselves. They're retired folks and probably worked all their lives. Now they have to surrender the independence they thought they had. No, you can't blame the government for hopes and dreams. One day you'll be there too. How are you going to feel if some moron suggests you should be put out on the street without a thought to your well-being?

Reactions: Dixie Cup

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yeah, I agree, these are folks who have worked all their lives, and now thought they
were settled for the remainder of their lives. It is very dissapointing to all of a sudden
to be told they have to uproot and move on. They will obviously have to do that, but
they should be given a little time, and some help, and not just told to get out, without
any consideration at all.
Everything is about money, and it should be balanced as little more with compassion.
Perhaps some help could be given to locate another park or place for them to transfer,
with some actual physical assistance to make them feel that people actually 'care' about
them.
I'm sure they can think quite well for themselves, and aren't expecting the government
to take care of them for the rest of their lives, and if they are given a little assistance, they
could relax a little, and not feel they are being run over by others.

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
Yeah, I agree, these are folks who have worked all their lives, and now thought they
were settled for the remainder of their lives. It is very dissapointing to all of a sudden
to be told they have to uproot and move on. They will obviously have to do that, but
they should be given a little time, and some help, and not just told to get out, without
Everything is about money, and it should be balanced as little more with compassion.
Perhaps some help could be given to locate another park or place for them to transfer,
with some actual physical assistance to make them feel that people actually 'care' about
them.
I'm sure they can think quite well for themselves, and aren't expecting the government
to take care of them for the rest of their lives, and if they are given a little assistance, they
How much assistance would you be prepared to give each of these people? One of the things that I see happen is that a lot of these people are living in very old mobile homes, some are not worth the money to move to a new location.. having said that would ok for someone moving a 40-50 year old mobile home next to your 2 year old one?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
them.
Moving a trailer doesn't come cheap, that's for sure. And if these seniors have only their pensions, they likely can't afford to move!! This is a similar issue that happened in Calgary as well. The City closed down a trailer park (much bigger) and, at first the people were told there would be assistance with the move to another Park - and later found out that wasn't true. A lot of the owners didn't have a place to go to or the funds to make the move. I know this as some had to declare bankruptcy and were clients. Don't really know what became of the situation as this was a few years ago.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
How much assistance would you be prepared to give each of these people? One of the things that I see happen is that a lot of these people are living in very old mobile homes, some are not worth the money to move to a new location.. having said that would ok for someone moving a 40-50 year old mobile home next to your 2 year old one?
There is that consideration as well. A lot of Parks won't take mobile homes unless the homes are 10 years or under simply because they want the Park to be nice and not a "sh** hole" and I suppose I can't blame them. I know this because our first home was a mobile home & that was the rule for the park we lived in and my dad & his wife currently live in a mobile home & the Park they live at took those very steps a few years ago, telling people that they either had to make improvements on their older homes or they'd have to move out. The Park was getting kind of "grungy" looking and new owners wanted to "spruce it up" so that people could take pride in where they lived. Renting a mobile home is no longer allowed in that Park for the very reason that those trailers aren't usually looked after as well are those who are owned.

Don't know about the people who live at the B.C. site as to how old their homes are because it may well be that if their homes are old, they won't be able to move them anywhere else anyway.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Oh, and no, it's not the B.C. government's fault - they're simply asking for assistance for what I'm not sure - money? more time? ????

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Seniors losing mobile homes blame B.C. government
CBC - A group of seniors being evicted from their waterfront neighbourhood on Vancouver Island are imploring the B.C. government for help.
The mobile home park they live in has been sold and the seniors - some in their 70s and 80s - have been told to move their trailers out by next May.
"Inhumane is the term that I've used," said resident Joan Auld, 72. "It's inhumane to treat people like this."Auld and her husband, Terry, live at the Saltair Seaside Trailer Park near Ladysmith along with nine other residents. Last year, the property was purchased for $1.9 million by two businessmen who want to rebuild there.

Above is the caption from the internet.

I would like to know why the people believe that the government is at fault. The government did not make them pay rent in the mobile home park. Free enterprize did and when free enterprize sold the land the new owner can do what he wants with the land, as long as he complys with zoning laws.
Maybe what these people want is that the government take them from cradle to grave. The governement can do this but need some more money. Instead of paying a tax rate of 35% maybe it should be 70% of your earned income, to pay for these people that cannot think for themselves

Thanks for linking to your story.. :mad::mad:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

WHO IS THE IDIOT NACRO THREADING???? 🤔🤬

eb0fc4b87fea9dbd1fb06a836f354bde73d0259a0a298893c1bffb15efb70cbc.jpg