Seniors and the generation spending gap

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Grow up Cannuck, your ignorance is screaming out. The H.O.G. was devised in the 1950s by W.A.C. Bennett, it was a scheme devised to give us our own money back so he could continue winning elections. Quit broadcasting your gullibility.

Lolz

You are going to have to leave the city.

The grant is available to qualified residents that pay property taxes to a municipality or the province in a*rural area.*

Hehehe

"If you have any questions about the home owner grant, contact your municipality or the province if your property is in a rural area."

Why do you insist on embarrassing yourself. Are you going to get mad at me again?

Programs and Services for Seniors - Service Canada

Richest. Seniors. Ever. How the luckiest generation keeps making money — and spending it | Financial Post

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hey, save yourself $4 a night and be healthier! Walk (DO NOT run) 4 miles a day up and down hills, much better for the cardo vascular than that stop and go bull sh*t and much easier on the joints.

Walking is not better for my cardiovascular. Maybe it is for you. My target heart rate is in the roughly 95-160 beats per minute range. Unless I'm walking up a mountain, my heart rate won't hit 95 beats per minute.

As for my joints, I don't have osteoarthritis, and the evidence that activity like pick-up basketball games leads to developing osteoarthritis is weak. Really weak. My joints handle it just fine, as I haven't had many injuries that would contribute to developing a condition like that. It's not like I'm going to Crossfit to do 20 olympic lifts as fast as possible...that is unhealthy.

If I do develop osteoarthritis, there a whole lot of things I would try before walking, like swimming and biking.

Basically, you shouldn't be giving me exercise advice ;)

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
It's all relative. Seniors are the wealthiest generation in the history of one of the wealthiest countries in history regardless of what level of wealth you consider wealthy

Not really. You have borrowed money to provide government programs and handed the bill to future generations. I'd hardly call that "earning" it.

Still waiting on a link

Lolz
We sure as hell didn't. When I was married, there was no medicare and old age pensions were at 70 years of age. We spent 50 years paying off the farm. I worked 8 hours a day in the local hospital and worked in a large vegetable garden or baling and putting hay in the barn afterwards. My husband worked the land and looked after the cows, which required 2 hours morning and evening. He had to work in the fields to well into the nights in the spring and fall, as well. I grew a huge garden, canned everything from vegetables to fish and meat. Oh and I made most of our clothes from diapers, snowsuits, work pants and dress shirts to curtains and bedspreads!!

I remember getting flak from smart guys who spent an 8 hour day at work and had evenings and weekends off because we had free milk!! I kept chickens and turkeys and raised 3 children. That included making their clothes from diapers to snowsuits and shirts and pants for my husband as well as my clothes for work. On top of which most of those early years, what we got for the produce was always less that it cost to grow them. My earliest nasty memory was getting the first milk cheque for the milk and it was for $56.00 and the feed bill for those cows was $79.00. So, don't even go there. Canada's food supply has always been subsidized, because most people could not afford the cost to feed themselves otherwise. It is still the same, only the subsidies are better or you would be starving!!

Oh and there was NO medicare back then, we paid for the delivery of all children as well as the RH twins that spent a month in the Montreal Children's hospital, for the anesthesiology, and the family doctor and the all the formula the hospital prepared for a week at home!!

So, I sure as hell did not get anything for free. If you think farmers borrowed against our children's future........forget it. We got just enough to pay the bills period. Since the government set the price of our product and gave us just enough to survive on I don't feel a bit guilty about getting a mint for the land.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
We sure as hell didn't. When I was married, there was no medicare and old age pensions were at 70 years of age. We spent 50 years paying off the farm. I worked 8 hours a day in the local hospital and worked in a large vegetable garden or baling and putting hay in the barn afterwards. My husband worked the land and looked after the cows, which required 2 hours morning and evening. He had to work in the fields to well into the nights in the spring and fall, as well. I grew a huge garden, canned everything from vegetables to fish and meat. Oh and I made most of our clothes from diapers, snowsuits, work pants and dress shirts to curtains and bedspreads!!

I remember getting flak from smart guys who spent an 8 hour day at work and had evenings and weekends off because we had free milk!! I kept chickens and turkeys and raised 3 children. That included making their clothes from diapers to snowsuits and shirts and pants for my husband as well as my clothes for work. On top of which most of those early years, what we got for the produce was always less that it cost to grow them. My earliest nasty memory was getting the first milk cheque for the milk and it was for $56.00 and the feed bill for those cows was $79.00. So, don't even go there. Canada's food supply has always been subsidized, because most people could not afford the cost to feed themselves otherwise. It is still the same, only the subsidies are better or you would be starving!!

Oh and there was NO medicare back then, we paid for the delivery of all children as well as the RH twins that spent a month in the Montreal Children's hospital, for the anesthesiology, and the family doctor and the all the formula the hospital prepared for a week at home!!

So, I sure as hell did not get anything for free. If you think farmers borrowed against our children's future........forget it. We got just enough to pay the bills period. Since the government set the price of our product and gave us just enough to survive on I don't feel a bit guilty about getting a mint for the land.

All the gnashing of teeth and feigned indignation doesn't change the fact that your generation is leaving your grand children with 100s of billions of dollars in public debt. The reasonable thing to do would be to apologize to them

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Mostly just NA that is still mired in money based medicine.

Part of the resistance is because there are all sorts of people claiming health benefits as Naturopaths, who are amateurs or worse. Dr. Oz is an admitted charlatan who peddles 'magic' on his television show. He admitted to a Senate committee in the US that he was lying on air about the benefits of the products he was slinging. That is exactly the definition of snake oil.

If a treatment works, then there will be evidence. If there is no evidence, then how can you evaluate whether the treatment did anything, positive or negative?

Don't whine about money based medicine, when the supplements and alternative treatment field is raking in billions of dollars each year.

As for Germany, a Heilpraktiker doesn't even have to be a trained medical professional. They can take the test as often as they like, and so long as they pass, are at least 25 years old, and free of disease, they can practice for life.

I don't know your wife, but I hope she is recommending treatments based on evidence. If she's not, to Cannuck's point how is that any different than religion?

In the end, if it works, you should stand by your reasoning for why it works. That means standing by whatever evidence you have.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What do you call alternative medicine that works?

MEDICINE...

My favourite joke at the moment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Don't get upset, Bluebyrd, you are arguing with the mind of a 3 year old! And he's still wet behind the ears to boot.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All the gnashing of teeth and feigned indignation doesn't change the fact that your generation is leaving your grand children with 100s of billions of dollars in public debt. The reasonable thing to do would be to apologize to them

And the REASONABLE thing for you to do is to quit your habitual and chronic lying and to mend your fraudulent ways!

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
NOT my generation. YOURS I wonder how many hours a day you work for the food farmers still put on your plate, for which they used to get a pittance. The government calls it a farmers' subsidy but farmers called it a public subsidy.

You still get your food cheaper than it costs to produce it, so guess who put and still puts the country into debt!!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
NOT my generation. YOURS I wonder how many hours a day you work for the food farmers still put on your plate, for which they used to get a pittance. The government calls it a farmers' subsidy but farmers called it a public subsidy.

You still get your food cheaper than it costs to produce it, so guess who put and still puts the country into debt!!

You're beating your head against a wall- he's delusional.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He's not delusional. He's an admitted liar, with low self-esteem that hates his lot in life. He blames dirty idiot injins and old people for all his woes.

My suggestion to you is, ignore him, or mock him. He's just way to dishonest to have a reasoned conversation with.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He's not delusional. He's an admitted liar, with low self-esteem that hates his lot in life. He blames dirty idiot injins and old people for all his woes.

My suggestion to you is, ignore him, or mock him. He's just way to dishonest to have a reasoned conversation with.

Well, I think he's delusional to the degree that he actually thinks people are going to believe his B.S. and the fact that he's on this imaginary pedestal above the rest of the entire population.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well, I think he's delusional to the degree that he actually thinks people are going to believe his B.S. and the fact that he's on this imaginary pedestal above the rest of the entire population.

He's a legend in his own mind for sure.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Dude, that's just his low self esteem shining through.

It's all he has.

You should pity the poor guy. He's admittedly disadvantaged, doesn't understand stuff, and lies continuously.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Don't worry folks, I spent the summer in Europe with my family, replaced my old pool with a lovely bigger new one, and I just love my brand new red car with the cream leather interior. (OMG I sound like Hyacinthe Bucket LOL) Oh and I leave for the winter as soon as the guys are finished putting in the new windows and I get my flower garden tucked in for the winter.

So, not only do I not have a guilt trip, I intend to enjoy every blessed thing about the great way things turned out.