Senate Report- Ship Oil East -A No Brainer.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Senate Report- Ship Oil East -A No Brainer.
CEPA Interactive Map for Liquids & Gas Pipelines

us canadian pipelines map - Google Search

Senate energy committee backs sending western oil east - The Globe and Mail

The Senate’s Conservative-led energy committee is throwing its support behind efforts to ship western oil east to be refined in Ontario and Quebec.

Acknowledging Canada has so far failed to secure public support for shipping oil sands oil south to the United States and a new pipeline to the Pacific remains controversial, the committee’s Conservative chair David Angus says looking east is a “no brainer.”

The outgoing Quebec Senator said it doesn’t make sense for eastern provinces to be importing oil from countries like Algeria and Venezuela when there is excess supply in the west.

“It’s pretty crazy when you have such bountiful supplies of your own,” he said, embracing the argument that Canadian oil is more “ethical” than imported oil. “Why would we have all these ships coming in from Nigeria into the St. Lawrence river with crude oil when we’ve got so much of it in other places of the country?”

The endorsement of shipping western oil east is part of a 68-page report of the Senate committee on energy, the environment and natural resources released Thursday. The report was adopted unanimously by the committee’s seven Conservative members and five Liberals. There are no New Democrats in the Senate.

Earlier this year, Enbridge Inc. announced a $2.6-billion plan to reverse the flow of a key pipeline in order to bring western oil to refineries in Sarnia and Montreal.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yeah really, Irving Oil still brings in their oil from overseas.. build a pipeline to New Brunswick. I am sure there are plenty of refineries along the way that could use Canadian oil, vs importing it.

It amazes me that we ship oil south from the west, yet back east they import oil from the south.. we need more east west trade and unification.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
My how things change. Eastern and central Canada thumbed their noses at Alberta oil years ago, saying that oil from Venezuela was cheaper. It's all about unity now though, no politics or money involved.
No opposition from the greenies regarding tanker shipments, odd that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
My how things change. Eastern and central Canada thumbed their noses at Alberta oil years ago, saying that oil from Venezuela was cheaper. It's all about unity now though, no politics or money involved.

Are the refineries in Eastern Canada suited to process the bitumen- Or do they need to either have it upgraded here ( Western Canada) or build upgraders there.

From what I understand the refineries in the US that handle bitumen spent a ton of dollars for upgrades to their facilities.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Apparently Orinoco heavy crude is Rainforest Alliance approved Krom Kenora eastward?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Irving never thumbed its nose at Alberta crude, it wasn't available here.

The Irving refinery was the first in North America to have a deepwater supertanker unloading facility
It was the first in Canada to refine crude from offshore Newfoundland.
It was the first in North America to produce ultra low-sulfur gasoline, at a time when all the other refineries were claiming it was uneconomic. They shipped railcars of unleaded gasoline from NB to CALIFORNIA, that's how 'uneconomic' it was.

They are shipping crude from North Dakota to the refinery by railcar now, they're building a new railcar unloading facility as I write this.

And for you people who haven't heard of it, this single refinery is responsible for 64% of Canada's petroleum products exports to the US. Boston and NYC would hurt without it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sounds better than shipping it to the states.

Well it will make for a stronger dollar- less imports.

Read the link.

We will see how independent it really is. I hope it is and cuts thru the BS from both side- Oil and hard line Eco types.
What Canadians want are facts- not promises- not BS- Facts and risk assessments-

Enbridge should sign a similar but not so stringent contract that the ship builders signed- they can lose their company under certain circumstances.

Alberta announces independent review of pipeline integrity in wake of spills, increased scrutiny | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

CALGARY — As political support for major pipeline projects wanes in the face of recent oil spills and damning reports, both the Alberta government and the oil industry made moves to quell fears about safety Friday.

Alberta-based Enbridge said it would spend $500-million to redesign the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline system in response to environmental and aboriginal groups’ concerns. The announcement came the same day the Alberta government said it would launch an independent review of pipeline integrity and spill management, a process expected to take months.

“The scrutiny is at a level we have never seen before, and I welcome that scrutiny,” said Alberta’s energy minister, Ken Hughes.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
......Acknowledging Canada has so far failed to secure public support for shipping oil sands oil south to the United States and a new pipeline to the Pacific remains controversial, the committee’s Conservative chair David Angus says looking east is a “no brainer.”

The outgoing Quebec Senator said it doesn’t make sense for eastern provinces to be importing oil from countries like Algeria and Venezuela when there is excess supply in the west.

“It’s pretty crazy when you have such bountiful supplies of your own,” he said, embracing the argument that Canadian oil is more “ethical” than imported oil. “Why would we have all these ships coming in from Nigeria into the St. Lawrence river with crude oil when we’ve got so much of it in other places of the country?”......

Huh....there's an excess of oil supply in the west? Since when? What oil isn't
spoken for and just sitting waiting for someone to buy it in some holding facility
someplace west of wherever?

Isn't there a clause in NAFTA (that Canada agreed to in the Canada/US portion
where as Mexico said "thanks but No thanks" to in the Mexican/US portion) that
states that Canada can't reduce is shipments (proportionally) to the USA without
reducing (proportionally) its own use domestically? With the USA being Canada's
largest customer with oil, doesn't that sort'a negate the whole "excess supply"
concept unless/until the USA decides it doesn't want/need Canadian oil any longer?