Scandal!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Apparently, in Disney's new The Little Mermaid, a Black actress playing Ariel is causing quite the stir.

Question: What race are non-existent myths supposed to be?

Reactions: Serryah

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I think I mentioned this before...

I introduced my daughter to my Psychiatrist for the first time and said...

"This is Anne. She's taking Psychology at University to try and figure out her Father."

Without missing a beat, my Doctor says...

"Oh. You're going for your PHD are you??"

:LOL:

I rented The Little Mermaid for the kids when they were very young. During the movie my girls started acting up right when Ariel was in a boat and about to kiss The Prince. So I yelled out...

"Stop talking!! They're about to kiss!!!"

Yup. I got sucked into the movie and made a fool of myself. lol!

• Wow
Reactions: Taxslave2

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Dopey

I'm really not sure if some of these names would fly today.

People with Anger Management Issues would protest the name of Grumpy.

People with Narcolepsy would revolt against the name Sleepy.

People with allergies would rebel against the name Sneezy.

People who are 'Educationally Challenged' wouldn't like the name Dopey.

And people with Agoraphobia would be angry with the name Bashful.

Just keepin it real, folks! ;)

Reactions: Taxslave2

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I have a better question. Why do morons insist on putting their personal "world views" into other people's fictional/mythological worlds while ignoring real world realities. Like what possible evolutionary need would there be for a mermaid to have increased melanin production in her skin?

Same with Amazon's "Rings of Diversi...err I mean Power."

Black dwarves. In Tolkien's Middle Earth the dwarves lived primarily underground inside of mountains. What need would they have to adapt a darker skin colour?
The elves origins are different but Tolkien very CLEARLY describes the elves' appearance in his Middle Earth mythology. Their skin ranged from very white to olive. Not a single mention of Black elves.
When they first appeared in Middle Earth there was no sun or moon, day or night, they lived under the stars. Must'a been some bright fucking stars for some elves to evolve dark skin in Amazon's bastardized version of Middle Earth.

Or the fact that Idris Elba played Heimdall in 'Thor'. Heimdall is described as having the whitest of skin. So white in fact that he practically shines. I have no problem with Idris as an actor, he is pretty good. But c'mon man, that's like having John Wayne play Genghis Khan (which stupidly happened).

Disney is particularly egregious with their diversity for the sake of diversity. At least three Disney productions have a line where someone says, "We need to kill/eliminate/erase the past". Disney tells you EXACTLY what they're up to via their productions.

Reactions: 55Mercury

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Dopey

I'm really not sure if some of these names would fly today.

People with Anger Management Issues would protest the name of Grumpy.

People with Narcolepsy would revolt against the name Sleepy.

People with allergies would rebel against the name Sneezy.

People who are 'Educationally Challenged' wouldn't like the name Dopey.

And people with Agoraphobia would be angry with the name Bashful.

Just keepin it real, folks! ;)
So those who are miserable and those with no patience are fine with everything?

Happy and Doc fans want to know.

Reactions: Hoof Hearted

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have a better question. Why do morons insist on putting their personal "world views" into other people's fictional/mythological worlds while ignoring real world realities. Like what possible evolutionary need would there be for a mermaid to have increased melanin production in her skin?

Same with Amazon's "Rings of Diversi...err I mean Power."

Black dwarves. In Tolkien's Middle Earth the dwarves lived primarily underground inside of mountains. What need would they have to adapt a darker skin colour?
The elves origins are different but Tolkien very CLEARLY describes the elves' appearance in his Middle Earth mythology. Their skin ranged from very white to olive. Not a single mention of Black elves.
When they first appeared in Middle Earth there was no sun or moon, day or night, they lived under the stars. Must'a been some bright fucking stars for some elves to evolve dark skin in Amazon's bastardized version of Middle Earth.

Or the fact that Idris Elba played Heimdall in 'Thor'. Heimdall is described as having the whitest of skin. So white in fact that he practically shines. I have no problem with Idris as an actor, he is pretty good. But c'mon man, that's like having John Wayne play Genghis Khan (which stupidly happened).

Disney is particularly egregious with their diversity for the sake of diversity. At least three Disney productions have a line where someone says, "We need to kill/eliminate/erase the past". Disney tells you EXACTLY what they're up to via their productions.
Except that you don't use John Wayne as Chinghiz Khan except as a wutabout. Or Chuck Connors as Geronimo. Or Orson Welles as Othello.

Let's get back to it. I propose that in the next Star Trek re-boot, Captain Kirk be played by Michael B. Jordan. He's a fine actor with serious action cred.

Is it so horrifying to you that, in a supposedly post-racial future where the color of one's skin no longer matters, Captain Kirk should be Black?

At what point do you stop denying people the ability to be what they want to be based on their skin color? There are Black Norwegians nowadays. Are you saying that they shouldn't be allowed to play the Norse gods?

What fucking "race" are mermaids anyhow? Hans Christian Andersen was White, to be sure. But what race are mermaids?

As far as your Tolkien thing goes, duh. Tolkien grew up in a White world. Do we have to adhere to his depiction of Elves because he probably never had a conversation with a Black person?

In the cartoon Little Mermaid, the wicked Ursula is portrayed as kinda greyish. Why isn't anybody stroking out about that, if skin colour is so important?

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
you're right. Ursula should be black.

I'm also ok with Lieutenant You-Whore-You being white in Star Trek - as long as they say her name right!

;?)

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Except that you don't use John Wayne as Chinghiz Khan except as a wutabout. Or Chuck Connors as Geronimo. Or Orson Welles as Othello.
Only old, white honkies object to fictional characters being portrayed by blacks. Nobody else really gives a rat.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016

Let's get back to it. I propose that in the next Star Trek re-boot, Captain Kirk be played by Michael B. Jordan. He's a fine actor with serious action cred.

Is it so horrifying to you that, in a supposedly post-racial future where the color of one's skin no longer matters, Captain Kirk should be Black?

At what point do you stop denying people the ability to be what they want to be based on their skin color? There are Black Norwegians nowadays. Are you saying that they shouldn't be allowed to play the Norse gods?

What fucking "race" are mermaids anyhow? Hans Christian Andersen was White, to be sure. But what race are mermaids?

As far as your Tolkien thing goes, duh. Tolkien grew up in a White world. Do we have to adhere to his depiction of Elves because he probably never had a conversation with a Black person?

In the cartoon Little Mermaid, the wicked Ursula is portrayed as kinda greyish. Why isn't anybody stroking out about that, if skin colour is so important?
clapping-standing-ovation.gif

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I once saw an amateur production of Macbeth, put on by the theatre club of an Army base, with a Black Macbeth. Why did they have a Black Macbeth? Because he was obviously, head and shoulders, the best actor in the bunch. Nobody commented. Nobody cared.

Nowadays there'd be a damn Congressional investigation of why the Army permitted a Black soldier to play a White character based on a real-life White king. Using government funds, no less!

Get. . . the fuck. . . over it.

Reactions: Hoof Hearted

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I defer to your superior knowledge in all things military in the divided states of america.

but if no one took issue with it back then, then why would they now?