Redskins to change their name.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins

Dear Mr. Page:
I agree with our Native American population. I am
highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native
Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be
careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and
courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the
Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the
reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get
rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of
militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white
folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a
team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference
to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I
am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion
among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and
pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh
Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message
to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting
or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a
growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The
Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our
children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message
to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out
to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the
do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in
mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the
Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the
Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really
want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for
the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the
"Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the
dick heads in Washington DC.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Fun to watch the snot-slinging tantrums of the White Right.

Especially when you consider what they're whimpering about is private businesses making business decisions on the basis of their business judgment, something they claim to be all in favour of.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Especially when you consider what they're whimpering about is private businesses making business decisions on the basis of their business judgment, something they claim to be all in favour of.
Did you hide that RedSkins jersey yet ? Mark Rypien perhaps .

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

To soothe a bunch of fragile, easily-overly offended leftist pussies who probably don't even watch football in the first place. Remember the shit kicking the NFL took in the ratings and ticket sales when they cow-towed to the kneelers? I didn't see all those SJW's soooo concerned about "justice" filling in the viewership and attendee gaps.

Oh noes, a bunch of f*cktarded, White SJWs might boycott a franchise they never watch. We better change our name. :lol:

You know what you call it when your threaten a business's (or it's advertisers') existence simply because they won't conform to your political POV? Political terrorism. "See things our way or we'll run you out of business".

It's fun to watch people support leftist political terrorism as they whine about the "White Right".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
To soothe a bunch of fragile, easily-overly offended leftist pussies who probably don't even watch football in the first place. Remember the shit kicking the NFL took in the ratings and ticket sales when they cow-towed to the kneelers? I didn't see all those SJW's soooo concerned about "justice" filling in the viewership and attendee gaps.
Oh noes, a bunch of f*cktarded, White SJWs might boycott a franchise they never watch. We better change our name. :lol:
OK, so you don't think Dan Snyder should make business decisions based on his judgment of what's best for his business. You think he should do what some butthurt Canadian thinks he should do with his money and his property.

How capitalist of you.
You know what you call it when your threaten a business's (or it's advertisers') existence simply because they won't conform to your political POV?
The free market.

Political terrorism. "See things our way or we'll run you out of business".
"Political terrorism relies on violent acts to influence public opinion on political issues or to vie for political power."

https://www.encyclopedia.com/politi...se-magazines/introduction-political-terrorism

Nice try though.

Equating free speech with content with which you disagree and spending one's money as one chooses with violence. The right-wing version of "Fur is Murder."

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
In fairness it wasn't Dan Snyder who made the decision it was Fedex

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Possible replacements:
-- Redscalps
-- Tomahawks
-- Wigwams

Or just what everybody else calls them: The Washington Losers". They haven't been good since the 80s.
Should be fun. I think I'll swing by FedEx and catch a couple of Washington Whatevers games when they start having live attendance again, just to watch the belligerent butthurts sporting all their Redskins gear and looking for trouble, and all the sensitive snowflakes providing it.

Be a lot more fun than the games.
The Washington Rednecks? Washington Rednex? Washington RedEyes?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
OK, so you don't think Dan Snyder should make business decisions based on his judgment of what's best for his business. You think he should do what some butthurt Canadian thinks he should do with his money and his property.

How capitalist of you.
:lol: Are you f*cking kidding me? Snyder is probably the worst, most incompetent owner in NFL history and was ranked as the worst owner of any pro-sports franchise in the US. Maybe he should be more concerned about his team's performance because changing the name ain't gonna change anything else.

The free market.
"Forced" conformity is free market, is it?

"Political terrorism relies on violent acts to influence public opinion on political issues or to vie for political power."

https://www.encyclopedia.com/politi...se-magazines/introduction-political-terrorism

Nice try though.

Equating free speech with content with which you disagree and spending one's money as one chooses with violence. The right-wing version of "Fur is Murder."
Riiight. Terrorism never involves threats and intimidation. And racism hasn't become a political issue? That's news to me.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
:lol: Are you f*cking kidding me? Snyder is probably the worst, most incompetent owner in NFL history and was ranked as the worst owner of any pro-sports franchise in the US. Maybe he should be more concerned about his team's performance because changing the name ain't gonna change anything else.
Maybe he should do what Steve Biscotti did with the Ravens. The two men are similar in age, and similar in the fact that they made their money in business, then bought teams rather than coming from football families.

Bisciotti hired real, knowledgeable, smart football men, then went in his office and closed the door. He signed checks as appropriate. Won two Super Bowls that way.

"Forced" conformity is free market, is it?
Yup. You're forced to conform to the desires and expectations of the paying customers. I know you want to cast this as some big, bad, authoritarian, left-wing fascist government holding a gun to Snyder's head, and you're perfectly free to cherish that delusion, but the fact is that FedEx told Snyder they'd take their name off the field and their money elsewhere (free choice in the free market), Nike and one other retailer told Snyder they wouldn't carry "Redskins" gear (free choice in the free market), and both of them said their business decision was that they thought it would hurt them with customers (remember customers? The ones with the money?).

That's pretty much the definition of the free market.
Riiight. Terrorism never involves threats and intimidation. And racism hasn't become a political issue? That's news to me.
I gave you the encyclopedia definition of "political terrorism." I even gave you a link.

Enjoy your delusions while you assiduously rub in the butthurt cream.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
In fairness it wasn't Dan Snyder who made the decision it was Fedex
Imagine your own sexual misconduct costing you the ability to keep your racist name.

What a world we live in.