Redskins to change their name.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Nah, son, this here's America! We do things BIGGER and BETTER!
The Washington REDBLACKYELLOWBROWNS! (Cleveland might have a problem with that last part).

Yeah I know Edmonton is changing from the Eskimos because a couple of people put up a fuss because they are not known as Eskimos anymore they are Inuit now.

How many children's books have to be rewritten to change Eskimos into Inuits?

Historic Eskimo

Modern Inuit

Not much change outside modern equipment and a name

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yeah I know Edmonton is changing from the Eskimos because a couple of people put up a fuss because they are not known as Eskimos anymore they are Inuit now.
Jim Jefferies did a pretty funny bit on that.
How many children's books have to be rewritten to change Eskimos into Inuits?
I'm sorry to see we're back to the "have to" whimper again. The Esks don't "have to" change their name. Neither do the Redskins. If it's that damn important to them, they can put on their big-boy football pants and take the consequences.

When I was a kid, I was often told to cut my hair. I never regarded it as something I "had to" do, even though some of the people telling me to were able to exercise considerable power over me (sheriff's deputies and such).

When the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996, the NFL brokered a deal under which the name, colors, and records would remain in Cleveland, and Cleveland would get the next expansion team. Owner Art Modell decided to have a "Name the Team" contest. The finalists were the Baltimore Bombers (bombers were made in Baltimore in WWII), the Baltimore Americans (after "the American," a popular steam locomotive made in Baltimore in the factory that is now one wall of the baseball stadium), and the Baltimore Ravens, after Edgar Allen Poe's famous poem "The Raven." "The Ravens" It was reported that Mr. Modell did not like the name, considering a scavenger bird, however large and impressive, not to be a good mascot/namesake for a football team. He felt honor-bound to adhere to the results of the voting, though, and Baltimore Ravens it was and still is. I don't recollect anybody moaning about how Mr. Modell "had to" go with "Ravens." He weighed the factors and made a choice.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, they've decided. The new name is. . .

The Washington Football Team!

Seriously. No kidding. They'll play this season (if it happens) as The Washington Football Team, and each player's number will be in gold (yellow) on the side of a burgundy (maroon) helmet with no center stripe.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It was probably one of the only domain names not to have been bought up by someone

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well, they've decided. The new name is. . .

The Washington Football Team!

Seriously. No kidding. They'll play this season (if it happens) as The Washington Football Team, and each player's number will be in gold (yellow) on the side of a burgundy (maroon) helmet with no center stripe.

Wow. That's original. LOL

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wow. That's original. LOL
Actually, most teams in soccer and suchlike don't have names. They're just "Liverpool Football Club" or "Sport Club Freiburg."

Somehow their fans manage to be motivated and passionate despite the crippling lack of irrelevant team names like the Detroit Lions or the BC Lions (when's the last time you saw a lion in Detroit or BC?).

Actually, for once Dan Snyder is doing the smart thing and not rushing the name change. Better to wait a year and get it right than rush out a new name. And what with Covid upsetting everything anyhow, seems like a good time to break traditions.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually, most teams in soccer and suchlike don't have names. They're just "Liverpool Football Club" or "Sport Club Freiburg."

Somehow their fans manage to be motivated and passionate despite the crippling lack of irrelevant team names like the Detroit Lions or the BC Lions (when's the last time you saw a lion in Detroit or BC?).

Actually, for once Dan Snyder is doing the smart thing and not rushing the name change. Better to wait a year and get it right than rush out a new name. And what with Covid upsetting everything anyhow, seems like a good time to break traditions.
We have mountain lions in B.C. big mean ones . One of the north shore mountains surrounding Vancouver is named the Lions . So yes lions is an apt name for the British Columbian football club .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We have mountain lions in B.C. big mean ones . One of the north shore mountains surrounding Vancouver is named the Lions . So yes lions is an apt name for the British Columbian football club .
True. Lions play a lot of football.

Given the propensity to name teams after violent criminals of bygone days (Buccaneers, Pirates, Raiders, Vikings), maybe they should go with the "Washington Gangbangers."

It even has a sexual double entendre to thrill the fat-arsed Tuff Gize in the stands.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
BTW wasn't Washington a slave owner?

Seems disingenuous to get rid of the racial slur but keep the slave owner name.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
As much as I hate to admit it, flossy/hoid has a legitimate point here.
I disagree. While Washington was, indeed, a slaveowner, he was not an advocate of slavery.

Compare Thomas Jefferson, who had the gall to pen the words "all men are created equal" while owning slaves.

And contrary to what appears to be popular belief among Canadian right circles, the vast majority of the fury being vented down here is against those who tried to maintain slavery when it was going down, often to the point of treason, not so much to those who practiced it when it was the settled law of the land.

Morality, like science and technology, develops over time. The circle of who is fully human expands. As Dr. King said, "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
In fact, what's up with the White House in Washington?.. A former President/slave owner AND a racist House to boot?
You actually may not have known this, even many, possibly most, Americans don't. "White House" is a nickname. Formally it is the Executive Mansion of the United States.
Things are far worse than we had imagined
They usually are.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That is one handsome looking chicken. Sounds like the Washington Redskins thing is settled... But I don’t think the Edmonton Eskimos thing is finalized yet. Sounds like that Edmonton team wants to keep the emblem of the double E (EE) but hasn’t come up with a final name yet. Here’s some we’ve heard bounced around on the radio over the last week or so, and some of our own suggestions:
Edmonton Elders (Edmonton Elderly?)
Edmonton Everybody?
Edmonton Earwigs
Edmonton Ewoks (I kind’a like that one)
Edmonton Elements
Edmonton Encephalitis
Edmonton Earwax
Edmonton Endoscopy
Edmonton Ebola
Edmonton Endgame
Edmonton Euro’s
Edmonton Elephantiasis
Edmonton Electric
Edmonton Electives
Edmonton Entrepreneurs
Edmonton Entrails
Edmonton Edmontonians
Edmonton Eggheads
Edmonton Egrets (or Eagles, or Eaglets)
Edmonton Erasers
Edmonton Empire
Edmonton Eradicators
Edmonton Entity (or Entities)
Edmonton Easies
Edmonton Ebony
Edmonton Eh (a Canadian nod)
Edmonton Exlax
Edmonton Ezra’s
Edmonton Express
Edmonton Educators
Edmonton Elite
Edmonton Exceptions
Edmonton Embolism
Edmonton Epileptics
Edmonton Entertainers
Edmonton Epicentre
Edmonton Epics
Edmonton Eavestrough
Edmonton Easter-bunnies
Edmonton Exasperaters
Edmonton Exaggerators (Yo’ momma is so...)
That’s all we’ve got for one night.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I disagree. While Washington was, indeed, a slaveowner, he was not an advocate of slavery.
Compare Thomas Jefferson, who had the gall to pen the words "all men are created equal" while owning slaves.
Did slaves dislike being slaves or was it how they were treated by some owners?
Fed, housed, needs met, able to raise family, practice faith and in more instances than not educated or highly skilled.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Did slaves dislike being slaves or I was it how they were treated by some owners?
Fed, housed, needs met, able to raise family, practice faith and in more instances than not educated or highly skilled.
Yep, probably why so many of them risked their lives to run, and an entire network existed to help them.

Isn't that what you say about the U.S.? "If it's so bad, why are people dying to get in?" Well, if slavery was so good, why were people dying to get out?

But thanks for raising that old Confederate argument. I've heard it hundreds of times from American racists. And from lots of Brits, talking about how great it was for their colonies when all they had to do was do what they were told and let Daddy Britain take care of all the hard work.

The Irish didn't seem to see it that way. Nor the Scots, nor the French, nor the Americans, nor the Canadians, nor the Aussies, nor the Kiwis, nor the Indians, nor the Chinese, nor the Singaporese, nor several dozen other countries.

Just you and Blackleaf.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is one handsome looking chicken. Sounds like the Washington Redskins thing is settled... But I don’t think the Edmonton Eskimos thing is finalized yet. Sounds like that Edmonton team wants to keep the emblem of the double E (EE) but hasn’t come up with a final name yet. Here’s some we’ve heard bounced around on the radio over the last week or so, and some of our own suggestions:
Edmonton Elders (Edmonton Elderly?)
Edmonton Everybody?
Edmonton Earwigs
Edmonton Ewoks (I kind’a like that one)
Edmonton Elements
Edmonton Encephalitis
Edmonton Earwax
Edmonton Endoscopy
Edmonton Ebola
Edmonton Endgame
Edmonton Euro’s
Edmonton Elephantiasis
Edmonton Electric
Edmonton Electives
Edmonton Entrepreneurs
Edmonton Entrails
Edmonton Edmontonians
Edmonton Eggheads
Edmonton Egrets (or Eagles, or Eaglets)
Edmonton Erasers
Edmonton Empire
Edmonton Eradicators
Edmonton Entity (or Entities)
Edmonton Easies
Edmonton Ebony
Edmonton Eh (a Canadian nod)
Edmonton Exlax
Edmonton Ezra’s
Edmonton Express
Edmonton Educators
Edmonton Elite
Edmonton Exceptions
Edmonton Embolism
Edmonton Epileptics
Edmonton Entertainers
Edmonton Epicentre
Edmonton Epics
Edmonton Eavestrough
Edmonton Easter-bunnies
Edmonton Exasperaters
Edmonton Exaggerators (Yo’ momma is so...)
That’s all we’ve got for one night.
Ewoks! Second choice: Easter-bunnies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yep, probably why so many of them risked their lives to run, and an entire network existed to help them.
Isn't that what you say about the U.S.? "If it's so bad, why are people dying to get in?" Well, if slavery was so good, why were people dying to get out?
But thanks for raising that old Confederate argument. I've heard it hundreds of times from American racists. And from lots of Brits, talking about how great it was for their colonies when all they had to do was do what they were told and let Daddy Britain take care of all the hard work.
The Irish didn't seem to see it that way. Nor the Scots, nor the French, nor the Americans, nor the Canadians, nor the Aussies, nor the Kiwis, nor the Indians, nor the Chinese, nor the Singaporese, nor several dozen other countries.
Just you and Blackleaf.
Why? I already mentioned.

How they were treated.

Youre just barking to hear your bark.

You bark like a little Bichon