Rapporteur David Johnson, Eminent Canadian

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We still don’t have a public inquiry into China’s interference in our democracy despite cooperation from the opposition parties. That story isn’t really on anyone’s radar as the country talks about the PM’s personal issues.
We have a government claiming victory on beating down inflation, it cooled to 2.8% in June thanks to falling gas prices, but food costs and mortgage costs are still rising at astronomical rates. Better for Trudeau to talk about Barbie movies than the fact that many Canadians are struggling with groceries.
Where Sophie is living is a far better story for the Liberals than the fact that many Canadians can’t afford to renew their mortgage after nine rate hikes in less than two years pushed already expensive housing further out of reach.
The prime minister’s personal life is obviously of interest to a great many Canadians, and he has built his personal brand by using it. But it is his policies, his actions on some files, lack of action on others, that we should be judging him on and discussing.
These stories may not have the sensational nature of his private life but they actually impact all of our lives. If you don’t think that’s true, look at your grocery bill, look at housing costs, look at the rising crime rates.
Those are the issues Trudeau doesn’t want you thinking about, he wants you thinking about his personal life.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We still don’t have a public inquiry into China’s interference in our democracy despite cooperation from the opposition parties. That story isn’t really on anyone’s radar as the country talks about the PM’s personal issues.
We have a government claiming victory on beating down inflation, it cooled to 2.8% in June thanks to falling gas prices, but food costs and mortgage costs are still rising at astronomical rates. Better for Trudeau to talk about Barbie movies than the fact that many Canadians are struggling with groceries.
Where Sophie is living is a far better story for the Liberals than the fact that many Canadians can’t afford to renew their mortgage after nine rate hikes in less than two years pushed already expensive housing further out of reach.
The prime minister’s personal life is obviously of interest to a great many Canadians, and he has built his personal brand by using it. But it is his policies, his actions on some files, lack of action on others, that we should be judging him on and discussing.
These stories may not have the sensational nature of his private life but they actually impact all of our lives. If you don’t think that’s true, look at your grocery bill, look at housing costs, look at the rising crime rates.
Those are the issues Trudeau doesn’t want you thinking about, he wants you thinking about his personal life.
Yeah yeah yeah, we know he's gay. Get on with getting rid of him.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah yeah yeah, we know he's gay. Get on with getting rid of him.
I’m not saying he’s gay, but I am saying he’s a manipulative attention whore, who’s going to use his wife (ex-wife?) and children as political tools to deflect from his own political shortcomings buy sticking them out into public like bait on a hook….to pounce and garner sympathy if anyone comments on it in a non-Liberal Party approved manner.

I’m just trying to point it out before it happens to help others see it as it is or will be to help make it ineffective. That’s my part in trying to help make him a part of Canada’s past.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Liberal government is having trouble finding a “potential” commissioner to oversee a “possible” public inquiry into foreign interference, with at least half a dozen current or retired judges having declined the offer, multiple sources have confirmed to the National Post.

The series of rejections over the last few weeks is further prolonging a process that has dragged out for six months since media reports alleged a significant and co-ordinated campaign of Chinese foreign interference in Canadian democratic institutions.

The resignation in June of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s “special rapporteur” for foreign interference, David Johnston, amid widespread controversy over Johnston’s perceived conflicts, resulted in the Liberal government agreeing to “consider” (???) a public inquiry, which opposition parties have been demanding for months.

The Liberals, Conservatives, NDP and Bloc Québécois are still discussing the “potential” for an inquiry, with one source saying meetings were happening as recently as Tuesday afternoon that could lead to the choice of a commissioner.

The government launched talks with opposition parties on a “possible” foreign interference inquiry in June, shortly after Johnston stepped down.

Dominic LeBlanc, now minister of public safety and democratic institutions, was then asked by the prime minister to work with opposition parties to find a consensus on how to proceed. LeBlanc said recently that he was continuing to work with opposition House leaders to find a solution.

“I’m confident that my conversations with opposition counterparts will take an important step forward in strengthening Canada’s democracy and democratic institutions and we’ll have more to say about that at the right moment,” he told reporters after Trudeau shuffled his cabinet two weeks ago.

Reached on Tuesday, LeBlanc’s office said it had no further comment about the “potential” inquiry.

Hmmm….weird that nobody wants to commit to a potential possible position to head a possible position uncommittable inquiry that the government won’t commit to actually have happen???

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The Liberal government is having trouble finding a “potential” commissioner to oversee a “possible” public inquiry into foreign interference, with at least half a dozen current or retired judges having declined the offer, multiple sources have confirmed to the National Post.
I would like to volunteer my services as Potential Commissioner of Possible Public Inquiries. And by "volunteer," I of course mean volunteer with a nominal stipend. Shall we say a million bucks (real money not Monopoly or Canadian), plus expenses? I am singularly appropriate for such a position, because I am positively bursting with unrealized potential, and my neutrality is guaranteed because I don't give two shits about Canaduh.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would like to volunteer my services as Potential Commissioner of Possible Public Inquiries. And by "volunteer," I of course mean volunteer with a nominal stipend. Shall we say a million bucks (real money not Monopoly or Canadian), plus expenses? I am singularly appropriate for such a position, because I am positively bursting with unrealized potential, and my neutrality is guaranteed because I don't give two shits about Canaduh.
Im sure they can order their own pizza.

• Haha
Reactions: 55Mercury

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You’re the first to commit to this (aside from all of the opposition MP’s that are the majority in parliament) so I’m all for it.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
it'll probably be prudent to insist on a Get Out Of Jail Free card, in lieu of Monopoly money, in case the next government doesn't like your findings.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Who cares? My findings will be released from the Land of the Brave and the Home of the Free. What're they gonna do, send the Canadian Forces after me?
Ve vill send our elite extraction team, moose and squvirrel, to bring you to just us!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Had you said you would support the Liberal position for a higher stipend you would have been an ideal candidate. The last thing this government wants is a neutral overseer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Multiple candidates to oversee foreign interference inquiry have rejected the job: sources

The Liberals have contacted 'at least' a half-dozen current and former judges to oversee an eventual inquiry, but all of them declined, the sources say

Author of the article:Christopher Nardi, Ryan Tumilty

Published Aug 09, 2023 • Last Updated 19 minutes ago • 4 minute read

The Liberal government is having trouble finding a potential commissioner to oversee a possible public inquiry into foreign interference, with at least half a dozen current or retired judges having declined the offer, multiple sources have confirmed to the National Post.

The series of rejections over the last few weeks is further prolonging a process that has dragged out for six months since media reports alleged a significant and co-ordinated campaign of Chinese foreign interference in Canadian democratic institutions.

The resignation in June of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s “special rapporteur” for foreign interference, David Johnston, amid widespread controversy over Johnston’s perceived conflicts, resulted in the Liberal government agreeing to consider a public inquiry, which opposition parties have been demanding for months.
The Liberals, Conservatives, NDP and Bloc Québécois are still discussing the potential for an inquiry, with one source saying meetings were happening as recently as Tuesday afternoon that could lead to the choice of a commissioner.

Sources for this story were granted anonymity as they were not authorized to publicly discuss progress of talks between the Liberals and opposition parties.

The sources confirmed that the Liberals have contacted “at least” a half-dozen current and former judges to oversee an eventual inquiry, but all of them declined. In some cases, those backing away are sitting judges and don’t want to step away from their court to preside over an inquiry. But others had indicated they were reluctant to be at the centre of a political maelstrom.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
There is no reason for any sane person to take this job. No matter what you find your credibility would be shot.
If that's true, how do we get to the bottom of what took place? If no one is willing to take the job, do we just give up & let the harassment from foreign entities continue? We need to ensure our elections have integrity & are honest so we can't ignore what has transpired. The CCP thinks long-term & are extremely patient so if they can get away with this, it'll only get worse. It doesn't help that we have a PM that doesn't see this as an issue, that's for sure.