"Proud Boys" Disrupt Mi'kmaw Memorial in Halifax

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Sort of related,was watching this crap on the news and they were talking about the confederate flag that these hooligans were waving. Are you ****ing kidding ? The only flag I see is the Red Ensign. What's the world coming to ?

Its being blown way out of proportion. Whatever these "Proud Boys" are they certainly weren't violent and were pretty polite.

If showing up for 10 minutes, asking questions and then pretty much leaving is what counts for deplorable behaviour these days then i think we should give our heads a shake. For a bunch of extremists with extremist behaviour and ideas they sure were extremely polite compared to other extreme groups they are classified alongside with.

I'm not defending them but to be honest they should not have been thrown under the bus by the military.

Both groups clearly have different ideological beliefs and i see two separate protests confronting each other for 10 minutes.

The First Nations were the more aggressive ones and in my opinion as to why this has been blown out of proportions is because the "Proud Boys" were a bunch of white boys. Even the Canada's national Indigenous veterans organization has said this is being blown out of proportion and that these "Proud Boys" shouldn't lose their jobs, and that actually saying something.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Its being blown way out of proportion. Whatever these "Proud Boys" are they certainly weren't violent and were pretty polite.

If showing up for 10 minutes, asking questions and then pretty much leaving is what counts for deplorable behaviour these days then i think we should give our heads a shake. For a bunch of extremists with extremist behaviour and ideas they sure were extremely polite compared to other extreme groups they are classified alongside with.

I'm not defending them but to be honest they should not have been thrown under the bus by the military.

Both groups clearly have different ideological beliefs and i see two separate protests confronting each other for 10 minutes.

The First Nations were the more aggressive ones and in my opinion as to why this has been blown out of proportions is because the "Proud Boys" were a bunch of white boys. Even the Canada's national Indigenous veterans organization has said this is being blown out of proportion and that these "Proud Boys" shouldn't lose their jobs, and that actually saying something.

Over sensitive, sensitive people over reacting to nothing because they are too sensitive.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

Not a blow was struck. Not a disrespectful word uttered. Then the men were outed as Canadian Forces members and soon were tossed under the bus by their leaders

"Also for the record, the men were well-spoken, polite and respectful; they were met by a young woman, from the protesters, who was equally polite and respectful. The men explained they were curious and wanted to see what was going on; she said they’d be welcome to listen quietly if they didn’t disrupt things. But a couple of other protesters were not similarly inclined.

One snarled, “This is a ****ing genocide.” Someone else said, “This is Mi’kmaq territory, to which one of the Proud Boys replied, “This is Canada.” Members of each side tossed about historically inaccurate facts in the manner of the young and unschooled. Another young woman bristling with hostility kept moving closer to one of the men until she was practically touching him. “You don’t seem to like me standing so close,” she said. “You’re very close,” he replied calmly.

But then the Proud Boys left, having been chastised for their pronunciation of Mi’kmaq and for their disrespectful tone, or, as a protester put it, got “the —- out of here.”

There were no harsh words from the Proud Boys. There was even some humour; once, told by a protester to speak more softly, one of the men said, in effect, “What? This is a library now?” But he did as he was asked.

Not a blow was struck. Not a disrespectful word was uttered, unless, of course, one counts the mere questioning of Indigenous protest as disrespectful. Not a gram of cereal was consumed or thrown.

Then the men were outed on social media as being members of the Canadian Forces. Four, as it turned out, are sailors, one is in the army. (A sixth military person was on the periphery, but not involved.)

In short order, the men were smartly tossed under the bus by their leaders."

Christie Blatchford: Proud Boys’ behaviour might be goofy, but is hardly

Yeah, that's pretty much the impression that I got.

It is a mistake, though, to bring the uniform into disrepute and it is an extremely bad idea, in the context of human history, for serving members of the military to be involved in overt political action, like that. Politicised militaries go to VERY bad places, without fail.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If they had been wearing the uniform, I might agree with the general reaction, but they were in civies.......everyone is making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.....
But this is an internet forum......so who cares......non?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If they had been wearing the uniform, I might agree with the general reaction, but they were in civies.......everyone is making a mountain out of the proverbial molehill.....
But this is an internet forum......so who cares......non?

As soon as they were "outed" Admiral Lloyd really had no choice but to act. Thrown under the bus is not quite what happened.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Here is what most people seem to be overlooking. The military is supposed to be politically neutral. It does not matter what the views of individual members of the military are; if they wish to express them, then they should get out of the military. This is a principle enshrined in the military of every democracy. Of course, we could ignore this principle and let the military become political in exactly the way it has in many of the various dictatorships around the world.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
“Your churches will be used to teach the Jew’s religion and in less than two hundred years, the whole nation will be working for divine world government. That government that they believe to be divine will be the British Empire. All religions will be permeated with Judaism without even being noticed by the masses, and they will all be under the invisible all-seeing eye of the Grand Architect of Freemasonry.”

—-General George Cornwallis 1781

Do North Americans reaally believe that such a thing were uttered by Mr Cornwallis? Do they teach this tripe in your schools?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
You all must have noticed that in this forum, the usual suspects, salty liberal lemmings, seem to always be against cops and soldiers...no matter what, if they happen to be visibly Caucasian...
Here's a little tune for them

[youtube]3ievmPEnSCY[/youtube]

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Here is what most people seem to be overlooking. The military is supposed to be politically neutral. It does not matter what the views of individual members of the military are; if they wish to express them, then they should get out of the military. This is a principle enshrined in the military of every democracy. Of course, we could ignore this principle and let the military become political in exactly the way it has in many of the various dictatorships around the world.

I take it that you'd be supportive of all military personnel being banned from voting in any municipal, provincial or federal elections?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I take it that you'd be supportive of all military personnel being banned from voting in any municipal, provincial or federal elections?

There is a big difference between voting or even discussing politics in your private life and going out into the streets and demonstrating your choices.

Good thing that you never put on a uniform, eh?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
There is a big difference between voting or even discussing politics in your private life and going out into the streets and demonstrating your choices.

Good thing that you never put on a uniform, eh?

What encompasses demonstrating your choices though? Is there an actually definition used by the military that addresses what they find acceptable?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

No. But that is why we have a secret ballot. May I assume from your post that you approve of members of the military taking sides in political issues?

What encompasses demonstrating your choices though? Is there an actually definition used by the military that addresses what they find acceptable?

Yes - don't make any public statements or participate in unofficial public demonstrations.

Here is the pertinent article. You can read the whole thing here: ARCHIVED - ARCHIVED - Queen's Regulations and Orders (QR&Os) - Volume I Chapter 19: Conduct And Discipline

Check Section 19.44

No member of the Regular Force shall:
  1. take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;
  2. make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or prospective candidate, for election to the Parliament of Canada or a provincial legislature; or
  3. except with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff, accept an office in a municipal corporation or other local government body or allow himself to be nominated for election to such office.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
No. But that is why we have a secret ballot. May I assume from your post that you approve of members of the military taking sides in political issues?

The secret ballot is not a specific mechanism to offer those in the military an opportunity to vote, they would be equally entitled to participate in the process if the system was not in the form of a secret ballot.

The individuals referenced in the OP expressed their opinion(s) at a public gathering. I see absolutely nothing offside in that action whatsoever.