Pros and Cons of Mail-in Voting

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Why can't people get of their ass and go down to their local voting place to vote? I don't understand why a mail in is even a consideration. I can see absentee ballots but a person has to request them in the U.S (from my understanding) which makes it a bit more reliable. I don't know how the voter registration is done in the U.S. but in Canada, it's via Tax Returns.
When you file your taxes, there is a place on the tax return that asks 1) are you a Cdn citizen and 2) if yes, do you want to send your info to Elections Canada. Before a vote, everyone is sent a "registration card" and when you vote at your local voting station, you need to bring the card with you to show the people who cross your name off the registration list. Unless your cat or dog files a tax return, there is little chance of voter fraud. Also, when one passes away, you file a Tax Return for the deceased and you need a "clearance certificate" to be issued by Revenue Canada who, in turn, notifies Elections Canada that you're 6 feet under. Thus, voter fraud is more unlikely (not to say there isn't any at all).
What the Dems are promoting definitely does make fraud a bigger issue in the U.S. simply by mailing out millions of ballots without any sort of verification makes it a stupid policy, especially if one wants a fair vote. But apparently it's all about taking power - screw the citizens if there are "a few' ballots that shouldn't be counted, but WTH, lets count them anyway.
As for Saskatchewan, their mail-in is likely a lot safer than any in the U.S. as experience in New York & Wisconsin is any indication (oh and Colorado too apparently). Just sayin...
Not quite. You can register to vote at the polling place. All you need is proof of address and theoretically proof of citizenship. Dead people are not always taken off the voters list prior to voting day either but they rarely show up, although it has happened. It is a royal pain in the ass to get back on the voters list if the government decides you are dead. Much harder than a new a citizen getting registered.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well, in several elections I voted in (1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, and 1990), it was because I couldn't get the leave and couldn't afford the plane ticket.
Can you imagine? Those lousy bastards wouldn't let me take a couple of days off from Desert Shield to trot back to Oklahoma and cast my ballot!
Jerks.
Our military provides polling places on the base.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Well, in several elections I voted in (1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, and 1990), it was because I couldn't get the leave and couldn't afford the plane ticket.
Can you imagine? Those lousy bastards wouldn't let me take a couple of days off from Desert Shield to trot back to Oklahoma and cast my ballot!
Jerks.

So you voted by absentee ballot and if you didn't that's on you. There's a difference between requesting an absentee ballot vs mass mail outs.

In an interesting interview I heard on the radio, this gentleman, (I think he was a professor or journalist or author or something - missed the initial introduction) saying that he "wished Trump would stop saying that mail-in ballots result in fraud" because some states already vote that way. He would prefer that Trump state that the "system isn't set up for mail in voting" and he wasn't referring to the Post Office. Then, towards the end of the interview, he stated the total opposite: "mail fraud" is a concern. So which is it?

Apparently it took Washington (State) 10 years to perfect the mail-in vote; how is it that the remaining states who have never had mail-in votes can do it securely in what, under 70 days? Its preposterous. So whether there can be fraud involved or not, voting in person, is far superior than any other way to vote and be assured of a (mostly) fraud free election with no doubt as to who won.

For the Dems to say that people would be putting their lives at stake by voting in person is total nonsense.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So you voted by absentee ballot and if you didn't that's on you. There's a difference between requesting an absentee ballot vs mass mail outs.
Yeah, five states total do mass mail-outs, and four of those five have been doing so for at least one election cycle before this.

One of them is Utah, which hasn't elected a Democrat to any office in half a century. So that's OK, right?

Oh, to hell with it. You're convinced there's massive voting fraud in the U.S. unless Trump wins. Nothing on earth will change that conviction, so why bother?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In an interesting interview I heard on the radio, this gentleman, (I think he was a professor or journalist or author or something - missed the initial introduction) saying that he "wished Trump would stop saying that mail-in ballots result in fraud" because some states already vote that way. He would prefer that Trump state that the "system isn't set up for mail in voting" and he wasn't referring to the Post Office. Then, towards the end of the interview, he stated the total opposite: "mail fraud" is a concern. So which is it?
Apparently it took Washington (State) 10 years to perfect the mail-in vote; how is it that the remaining states who have never had mail-in votes can do it securely in what, under 70 days? Its preposterous. So whether there can be fraud involved or not, voting in person, is far superior than any other way to vote and be assured of a (mostly) fraud free election with no doubt as to who won.
For the Dems to say that people would be putting their lives at stake by voting in person is total nonsense.
I recently did the Conservative leadership vote. I had to photocopy my drivers license, fill out a legally binding statement declaring I'm me and have it postmarked.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
And that is just for party members. Yet you can walk into the polling place on voting day with a hydro bill as proof of residency and vote.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Does the United States give you time off work to vote?

In Canada it is written in law, that if an employee time off to vote, they have up to four hours to do so during working hours.
Not quite .