Pro-Palestine Anti-Israel College Campus Protests

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree with all of the above, but that wasn't the question. My question was "What is your sense of UT's motivation? The conduct of the protesters or the content of their protest?"
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I’ve no idea, & would only be making assumptions on my part based on my own preconceived ideas based upon my own opinion, with respect to protests as I expressed above.

As a institution upon themselves, I’m assuming they wanted:
1) only positive media
2) non-chaos on campus
3) safe environment for everyone
4) a clean welcoming campus sells better than an open toilet Full of non-students squatting for weeks or months at a time
5) control of their campus back into their own hands so they can try and revert to points one through four again

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I’ve no idea, & would only be making assumptions on my part based on my own preconceived ideas based upon my own opinion, with respect to protests as I expressed above.

As a institution upon themselves, I’m assuming they wanted:
1) only positive media
2) non-chaos on campus
3) safe environment for everyone
4) a clean welcoming campus sells better than an open toilet Full of non-students squatting for weeks or months at a time
5) control of their campus back into their own hands so they can try and revert to points one through four again
Well. . . fucked that up, didn't they?

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well. . . fucked that up, didn't they?
Pretty much. I don’t think it much mattered what the protest was about on these university campuses, but how it went about.

The protest could’ve been for diurnal vampires for veganism, But as long as they follow the guidelines of:
Do it during the day, then go home regardless of whom it is or what it’s over. Don’t prevent others from also using the space or otherwise infringe upon others rights while expressing your own. Leave the place the way you found it or better shape than when you found it. A right to protest doesn’t trump other peoples rights to go about their day and their business. Observe the rules & laws already in place while protesting or you don’t win over anyone to your cause. That’s my take on it.
…& the protest was to try and sway people towards a position, as opposed to intimidate and subjugate others rights to use the same space… it would’ve all been a non-issue. Once you start erecting structures for permanent habitation and digging latrines…it’s time to go home.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Pretty much. I don’t think it much mattered what the protest was about on these university campuses, but how it went about.

The protest could’ve been for diurnal vampires for veganism, But as long as they follow the guidelines of:

…& the protest was to try and sway people towards a position, as opposed to intimidate and subjugate others rights to use the same space… it would’ve all been a non-issue. Once you start erecting structures for permanent habitation and digging latrines…it’s time to go home.
UT did the typical institutional thing. . . let 'em run wild until half the population was pissed off, then cracked down to piss off the other half.

This is called "public relations."

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
UT did the typical institutional thing. . . let 'em run wild until half the population was pissed off, then cracked down to piss off the other half.

This is called "public relations."
The universities in Alberta, allowed the protests until they cross the line from protest to encampment…& sent them all home. It’s not like it couldn’t be done.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The BDS movement claims to have originated in 2005 following a historic 2004 advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) declaring an Israeli-built barrier in the West Bank to be illegal.

However, while the ICJ opinion is built on the premise of the right of Israel to exist and the right for the country to defend itself, the BDS movement does not support either of these positions. BDS portrays itself as a social justice movement, but it is built on a foundation of intolerance. It is also one of the first foreign influence campaigns to seriously impact Canadian politics and social cohesion.

Over the last two decades, the BDS movement has crept into many areas of civic life. From Pride parades to union meetings to school board elections, BDS began showing up at progressive gatherings despite these events and groups having no connection to the Middle East. It uses misleading words like “colonialism” or “apartheid” alongside calls to boycott Jewish businesses or to sanction Israel to make it sound like a social justice movement when it is not.

Sadly, the lack of critical analysis by many of the progressive groups involved has led many of them to be captured by foreign influence without even realizing it. Most do not know that BDS opposes a peaceful, two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine question. This progressive capture explains how, after two decades of activity, the BDS movement has normalized racist taunts and terms like “intifada” on university campuses.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The BDS movement claims to have originated in 2005 following a historic 2004 advisory opinion of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) declaring an Israeli-built barrier in the West Bank to be illegal.

However, while the ICJ opinion is built on the premise of the right of Israel to exist and the right for the country to defend itself, the BDS movement does not support either of these positions. BDS portrays itself as a social justice movement, but it is built on a foundation of intolerance. It is also one of the first foreign influence campaigns to seriously impact Canadian politics and social cohesion.

Over the last two decades, the BDS movement has crept into many areas of civic life. From Pride parades to union meetings to school board elections, BDS began showing up at progressive gatherings despite these events and groups having no connection to the Middle East. It uses misleading words like “colonialism” or “apartheid” alongside calls to boycott Jewish businesses or to sanction Israel to make it sound like a social justice movement when it is not.

Sadly, the lack of critical analysis by many of the progressive groups involved has led many of them to be captured by foreign influence without even realizing it. Most do not know that BDS opposes a peaceful, two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine question. This progressive capture explains how, after two decades of activity, the BDS movement has normalized racist taunts and terms like “intifada” on university campuses.
Are illegal settlements not colonization? Yes Israel has a right to defend Israel but Israelis in illegal settlements in the West Bank? They are fair game.