Prince Harry to marry girlfriend Meghan Markle next year

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thou shalt not criticise St Meghan

As Piers Morgan has discovered, if you diss the patron saint of wokeness you’re in trouble.

1615331103316.png

BRENDAN O'NEILL

EDITOR

9th March 2021

Spiked

Hold on. In Britain in 2021 you can lose your job for criticising a member of the royal family? That appears to be the lesson of Piers Morgan’s parting of the ways with ITV. Morgan, morning TV’s biggest name, is out after 41,000 people complained to Ofcom about his recent comments on Meghan Markle. It’s official: diss this duchess and you will suffer.

What century is this? I thought we had moved beyond all that medieval nonsense about treason and hounding people out of polite society if they blaspheme against royalty? Seems not. Morgan is famous for not being a fan of Ms Markle. But this week he apparently went ‘too far’ – who are these mysterious people who get to decide what is ‘too far’? – when he said he didn’t ‘believe a word’ of what Markle said to Oprah.

On his show Good Morning Britain they aired a clip of Meghan saying she was depressed and even suicidal when cooped up in Kensington Palace. In response Morgan said: ‘I’m sorry, I don’t believe a word she says. I wouldn’t believe her if she read me a weather report.’ Cue meltdown among the Twitterati, the scalp-hungry cancel-culture mob and mental-health charities, all of whom wailed about Morgan disrespecting a suffering woman’s ‘truth’ as if he had just punched a statue of the Virgin Mary in 1930s Ireland.

Thousands of people grassed on Morgan to Ofcom. He then had an on-air falling-out with his black co-presenter, Alex Beresford, who accused Morgan of ‘trashing’ Markle. Which, as we now know, is sacrilege. Morgan flounced off set. And now ITV has said that, ‘following discussions’ – never a good sign – Morgan has decided to leave GMB. People suspect he was at least partly pushed out. It seems that way. Time will tell.

But what is indisputable is that a weird, unsettling and censorious atmosphere of religiosity now surrounds the Duchess of Sussex. The cultural elites have beatified her. They’ve made her the patron saint of critical race theory, the goddess of wokeness. To venture a criticism of this high priestess of correct thought is to risk cancellation. Questioning her ‘truth’ is to 2021 what questioning the truth of the Bible was to 1521. Okay, you won’t lose your head, but you might lose your job.

The speed with which Meghan has been venerated by the new elites is terrifying. From the supposedly radical left (their claims to radicalism are becoming more hilarious by the day) to the broadsheet press and the liberal elites, Meghan has been elevated into the chief awareness-raiser of contemporary Britain. Institutions are falling over themselves to heed her sermon about the need to cleanse the nation of racism and ‘build compassion’. It’s creepy.

And now it is becoming menacing. The atmosphere in the wake of that Oprah interview is taking a dark turn. It’s like the hysteria that followed the death of Princess Diana mashed together with the weird BLM events in the summer of last year. ‘Yes, Britain IS a racist country’, the Meghan cult dutifully intones. ‘Yes, the royals are racist. Yes, the media are racist. Yes, white people are racist.’ Meghan’s confessional has further empowered the self-hatreds and censorious vengeance of the woke elites, who will now see racism in more and more areas of life, even where it doesn’t exist, and cancel anyone who dares to say: ‘Isn’t it possible Meghan is talking shit?’

It took a very long time for Brits to win the right to criticise royalty. To blaspheme against gods, to speak freely. Yet now a woke form of treason is being rehabilitated on the back of the veneration of Holy Meghan, with the threat of cancellation hanging over anyone who doesn’t think Britain is racist, doesn’t think taking the mick out of Meghan for eating avocados is racist, and doesn’t think we all need to supplicate ourselves before St Meghan and the cleansing rituals of critical race theory.

Blasphemers, step forward. This nonsense cannot be allowed to take hold.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
More than 49 million people worldwide watched Harry and Meghan interview: CBS
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Mar 09, 2021 • 5 minutes ago • 1 minute read • comment bubbleJoin the conversation
A family gather around the television in Liverpool, north west England to watch Prince Harry and his wife Meghan's explosive tell-all interview on CBS with Oprah Winfrey, on March 8, 2021, as national television in Britain shows the interview a day later then in the US.
A family gather around the television in Liverpool, north west England to watch Prince Harry and his wife Meghan's explosive tell-all interview on CBS with Oprah Winfrey, on March 8, 2021, as national television in Britain shows the interview a day later then in the US. PHOTO BY PAUL ELLIS /AFP via Getty Images
Article content
LOS ANGELES — More than 49.1 million people around the world have watched Oprah Winfrey’s bombshell interview with Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, via television or streaming, U.S. network CBS said on Tuesday.

The interview in which the couple made accusations of racism, neglect and feuding inside the royal family aired on CBS on Sunday and on Britain’s ITV on Monday. It is still available on streaming platforms.

CBS, a unit of ViacomCBS Inc, said the audience was still growing and it would rebroadcast the interview in the United States on Friday.

The U.S. television audience accounted for 17.8 million of the total, making it the highest-rated entertainment special since the February 2020 Oscars ceremony, CBS said.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dumped British TV host Piers Morgan pours more scorn on Meghan's claims
Author of the article:

Reuters
Estelle Shirbon
Publishing date:
Mar 10, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 2 minute read • 65 Comments

Journalist and television presenter Piers Morgan smiles as he walks near his house, after he left his high-profile breakfast slot with the broadcaster ITV, following his long-running criticism of Prince Harry's wife Meghan, in London, March 10, 2021. Photo by Toby Melville /REUTERS
Article content
LONDON — Piers Morgan, the pugnacious British TV presenter who lost his job over his attacks on Prince Harry’s wife Meghan, said on Wednesday he still did not believe what she had said during her Oprah Winfrey interview.
Morgan, 55, left ITV’s Good Morning Britain on Tuesday after a backlash against his comments on Meghan’s interview with Winfrey, in which she revealed she had felt suicidal while living as a royal in Britain.

“On Monday, I said I didn’t believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview. I’ve had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don’t. If you did, OK,” Morgan said in a characteristically combative tweet on Wednesday morning.
“Freedom of speech is a hill I’m happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I’m off to spend more time with my opinions,” he told his 7.8 million Twitter followers.
He added a photo of Winston Churchill with a quote on free speech.
Advertisement

Story continues below

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

In an interview that has embarrassed Britain’s tradition-bound monarchy, Meghan, who married Prince Harry in 2018, said the royal family had rejected her pleas for mental health support.

The American actress, who is mixed race, also said that someone in the royal household had raised questions about the color of her unborn son’s skin.
The morning after the interview was aired on U.S. television, Morgan said on Good Morning Britain, among a torrent of other criticisms, that he did not believe a word Meghan had said. In a Tweet, he called her “Princess Pinocchio.”
More On This Topic

BLIZZARD: Buckingham Palace may be reeling, but can't fire back at H&M

Queen: 'The whole family is saddened' by Harry and Meghan's experiences

Meghan's father says Royal Family isn't racist, daughter 'let me down'

'I WAS A MARKLE BEFORE SHE WAS': Meghan's half-sister responds to interview remarks

The following morning, he stormed off the set of the live program when challenged by a co-presenter about his stance. Later that day, ITV said he was leaving.
Monday’s program attracted more than 41,000 complaints to Britain’s media regulator, the second highest in its history, which announced an investigation.

Morgan first made his name in the cut-throat world of the British tabloid press, culminating in stints editing the now-defunct News of the World, then the Daily Mirror.
He later went into television, appearing as a judge on the reality shows America’s Got Talent and Britain’s Got Talent. For three years he hosted a chat show on CNN.
Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content
Morgan’s detractors said his attitude towards Meghan seemed to be partly driven by personal animus because, by his own account, he had got on “brilliantly” with her when he had first met her but she had later dropped contact with him.
Susanna Reid, who co-presented Good Morning Britain with Morgan and frequently disagreed with him on air, described him on Wednesday’s program as “outspoken, challenging, opinionated, disruptive.”
Morgan told reporters on Tuesday he thought Meghan’s interview had damaged the monarchy and Queen Elizabeth at a time when her 99-year-old husband Prince Philip was in hospital, which he said was “contemptible.”
“If I have to fall on my sword for expressing an honestly held opinion about Meghan Markle and that diatribe of bilge that she came out with in that interview, so be it,” he said.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Meghan's 'Suits' co-star Wendell Pierce slams timing of Oprah interview
Author of the article:
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Publishing date:
Mar 10, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 1 minute read • 6 Comments

Wendell Pierce poses during a photocall for the TV series "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan" as part of the 58nd Monte-Carlo Television Festival on June 16, 2018 in Monaco. Photo by VALERY HACHE /AFP via Getty Images
Article content
Wendell Pierce, who starred alongside the Duchess of Sussex in U.S. TV show Suits, has slammed the timing of her and husband Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.
Pierce, who played Meghan’s dad Robert Zane on the show, told London’s LBC radio station that he doesn’t believe the couple should have taken part in the interview when the COVID-19 pandemic is still causing loss of life around the world.

“Today 3,000 people are going to die in America from COVID,” he said. “A couple of hundred people are going to die, even this hour, in the U.K. (I find it) quite insensitive and offensive that we are all complicit in this sort of palace… gossip in the midst of so much death. I think it is insignificant.”
More On This Topic

Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content
Insisting he wasn’t taking aim solely at Meghan, Pierce said he was criticizing “everyone” involved – including the couple, Winfrey and television networks CBS and ITV.
Slamming the royal family, he added that everyone should “focus on the throes of death that we’re in.”

Pierce later took to Twitter to insist that his words had been misconstrued, writing: “I just discovered my words are being used as an attack. Well done British Press. Clarity: The British monarchy is archaic in my American eyes. If slavery, colonialism and apartheid didn’t educate you that they are racist, you failed history.
“I was fortunate to tell Meghan personally I wish her all the best. Predicting this hellacious maelstrom I also told her she would always have a friend in me. Because I had no interest in the interview doesn’t change that.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Beyonce sends supportive message to Meghan after Oprah interview
Author of the article:
Publishing date:
Mar 10, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 1 minute read • 10 Comments

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex (second from left) meets cast and crew, including Beyonce Knowles-Carter (centre) Jay-Z as they attend the European premiere of Disney's "The Lion King" at Odeon Luxe Leicester Square on July 14, 2019 in London. Photo by Niklas Halle'n-WPA Pool /Getty Images
Article content
Beyonce has sent a message of support to the Duchess of Sussex following her sit-down interview with Oprah Winfrey.
The singer – who previously met the Duchess and the Duke of Sussex at the London premiere of The Lion King in July 2019 – has taken to her website to voice her support for the former Suits actress, who admitted in her tell-all interview to having suicidal thoughts after joining the royal family.

“Thank you Meghan for your courage and leadership. We are all strengthened and inspired by you,” Beyonce wrote on her website.
The award-winning star and her husband Jay-Z both met the Duchess in London, and Beyonce famously broke with royal tradition by giving her a hug at the event.
Buckingham Palace issued a statement on Tuesday insisting that it was taking the Duchess’ claims in her interview with Oprah “very seriously.”
During their sit-down conversation, the Duchess told Oprah that Prince Harry had been asked by an unnamed family member “how dark” their son’s skin might be.
Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

In response to the claims, Buckingham Palace said: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
More On This Topic

During the interview, Prince Harry also revealed he felt “trapped” by royal life.
However, he doesn’t think he’d have tried to break away if it wasn’t for his wife.
He said: “I myself was trapped. I didn’t see a way out. I was trapped but I didn’t know I was trapped.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Meghan files formal complaint over Piers Morgan's comments
Author of the article:
Publishing date:
Mar 10, 2021 • 3 hours ago • 1 minute read • 58 Comments

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Piers Morgan are pictured in this combination photo. Photo by Harpo Productions/Joe Pugliese/Handout and Toby Melville /Reuters photos
Article content
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex has filed a formal complaint to ITV over former Good Morning Britain presenter Piers Morgan’s inflammatory comments about her suicide revelations.
A complaint was lodged on behalf of the royal after Monday’s episode of Good Morning Britain, during which Morgan blasted Meghan and Prince Harry over revelations that emerged from their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Morgan said he didn’t believe the Duchess’ claims she had felt suicidal and had reached out for support from Buckingham Palace, who denied her help, comments that sparked widespread criticism, including from a mental health charity that works with ITV who broadcast the CBS special in the U.K., and led to more 41,000 complaints to U.K. broadcasting regulator Ofcom.
More On This Topic

On Wednesday ITV News reported Meghan wrote to CEO Carolyn McCall, raising concerns over how Morgan’s words would affect the mental health dialogue in the U.K. and how it may impact someone contemplating suicide.
Morgan, who later rowed with his colleague, GMB weatherman Alex Beresford, about his behaviour towards Meghan, which resulted in him walking off air, later quit his role on the TV show.
According to reports, he refused to make an on-air apology for his comments about Meghan.

Following his exit from the show, he remained unrepentant, tweeting: “On Monday, I said I didn’t believe Meghan Markle in her Oprah interview. I’ve had time to reflect on this opinion, and I still don’t. Freedom of speech is a hill I’m happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I’m off to spend more time with my opinions.”
Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

Both ITV and Prince Harry and Meghan’s Archewell foundation declined to comment on the complaint, although neither denied that it was made.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Janina Gavankar: Meghan has 'plenty of emails and texts' to prove allegations
Author of the article:
Publishing date:
Mar 10, 2021 • 12 minutes ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation

Actress Janina Gavankar arrives during the red carpet for Warner's premiere of "The Way Back" in Los Angeles, Calif. on March 1, 2020. Photo by JEAN-BAPTISTE LACROIX /AFP via Getty Images
Article content
Actress Janina Gavankar is confident her longtime friend Meghan, Duchess of Sussex could provide plenty of proof to back up the bombshell allegations made about Britain’s Royal Family in her TV tell-all.
Meghan and her husband Prince Harry shared all about the rejection they faced from senior members of the institution as they tried to get the then-pregnant Duchess help for suicidal thoughts during their sit-down with Oprah Winfrey, and claimed one unnamed family member had even queried how dark their firstborn child’s skin would be because the former actress is biracial.

Representatives for Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, addressed the allegations in a statement issued on Tuesday, admitting the royals were “saddened” to learn the extent of the couple’s challenges behind closed doors, while branding the racial remarks “concerning,” vowing to deal with the matter privately.
More On This Topic

Critics have questioned whether Meghan was telling the truth in the interview, which aired in the U.S. on Sunday and the U.K. on Monday, but her close pal, The Morning Show actress Gavankar, insists there is documented evidence to support the accusations.
Advertisement

Story continues below

Article content

Appearing on U.K. TV show This Morning, she said: “I don’t speak for them, I speak for myself. After reading this short statement that came out from Buckingham Palace today, I felt two things.
“One side, I thought: I am so thankful that they are finally acknowledging the experience. But on the other side, I am well aware that the family and the staff were well aware of the extent of it, and though their recollections may vary, ours don’t, because we lived through it with them. There are many emails and texts to support that.”

Gavankar also addressed claims suggesting Meghan, formerly known as Meghan Markle, was a bully to staff at their former Kensington Palace home.
“I have known her for 17 years and I have seen the way she regards the people around her and the people she works with, and I can say she is not a bully,” the actress declared.
“But I can also say that I am personally glad people are doing their due diligence because I also know why someone (staff member) had to leave, and it was for gross misconduct. The truth will come out, there are plenty of emails and texts about that.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'NEVER LET HER DOWN': Queen got two new corgis ahead of Harry and Meghan interview
British media reports suggest the dogs are providing emotional support

Author of the article:Washington Post
Washington Post
Antonia Noori Farzan
Publishing date:Mar 10, 2021 • 10 hours ago • 2 minute read • comment bubble6 Comments
Queen Elizabeth and a corgi in 1970.
Queen Elizabeth and a corgi in 1970. Postmedia
Article content
When Queen Elizabeth’s most recent pet corgi died in 2018, it marked the end of an era. For decades, the monarch had been surrounded by a pack of the short-legged dogs — but she’d reportedly vowed not to adopt any more, since she didn’t want pets to outlive her.

That resolve evaporated last week, as the Royal Family braced itself for the fallout from Oprah Winfrey’s sit-down with Harry and Meghan. Days before the explosive interview with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex aired, the 94-year-old Queen acquired two new corgi puppies, British tabloids reported.

“The corgis are intensely loyal and loving and they have never let her down,” royal biographer Penny Junor told the Sun. “And of course corgis also seldom rush off to L.A. to give interviews.”

A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace did not dispute The Sun’s report, but declined to provide further details about the dogs.

Cynical observers might conclude that adding a few adorable corgi puppies to the Royal Family is a strategic ploy. After all, even people with little enthusiasm for the monarchy can be charmed by inquisitive, excitable dogs. “Symbols of friendliness, they are shrewdly deployed for publicity purposes, lending warmth to her public image,” Vanity Fair noted in 2015.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Queen Elizabeth with a Welsh corgi.
Queen Elizabeth with a Welsh corgi. Postmedia
But so far there have been no leaked pictures of the corgis to counter the negative headlines about the racism and rejection that Harry and Meghan allegedly faced inside the palace. We don’t even know the puppies’ names.

British media reports suggest that the dogs are also providing emotional support while the Queen’s husband, Prince Philip, is hospitalized. The 99-year-old was admitted last month for heart surgery and has spent the past 20 nights in the hospital — his longest stay to date. A royal insider told the Sun that the bright-eyed new corgis are “bringing in a lot of noise and energy” to an otherwise sombre Windsor Castle.

Over the years, the castle and palace been home to at least 30 different corgis, and Philip has referred to the Queen’s insistence on feeding and walking them herself as her “dog mechanism” — a kind of therapy.

But before the crisis, the royal household was home to just one dog — Candy, an aging dachsund-corgi mix who is the last of the Queen’s “dorgis.” Distinguished by their long, floppy ears, the crossbreeds became a beloved part of the Royal Family after one of the Queen’s corgis accidentally mated with a dachshund belonging to Princess Margaret, according to Vanity Fair.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Wendell Pierce poses during a photocall for the TV series
Journalist and television presenter Piers Morgan smiles as he walks near his house, after he left his high-profile breakfast slot with the broadcaster ITV, following his long-running criticism of Prince Harry's wife Meghan, in London, March 10, 2021.
In this file photo Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh arrive on the fourth day of the annual Royal Ascot horse racing event near at Ascot, west of London, on June 20, 2014.

Corgis and dorgis alike live a charmed life: They reportedly sleep in their own “corgi room,” and dine on chef-prepared steak filets. And they appear to have been far more welcoming than some other members of the Royal Family. In 2017, when Harry announced his engagement to Meghan, he recalled in a television interview that the corgis had taken to her “straight away,” wagging their tails as they lie on her feet during tea.

“I’ve spent the last 33 years being barked at. This one walks in, absolutely nothing,” he said.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Royal Family isn't racist, says a personal rep to Queen
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Mar 10, 2021 • 48 minutes ago • 1 minute read • comment bubbleJoin the conversation
Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Meghan, The Duchess Of Sussex, attend the opening of the Mersey Gateway Bridge in Runcorn, England, June 14, 2018.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Meghan, The Duchess Of Sussex, attend the opening of the Mersey Gateway Bridge in Runcorn, England, June 14, 2018. PHOTO BY JIM CLARKE /Reuters / Files
Article content
A personal representative to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth says the Royal Family is not racist.

Dr. Musharraf Hussain, a deputy lord lieutenant for the English county of Nottinghamshire, penned an opinion piece Wednesday describing his personal experiences whenever he is with the Royals.

Hussain, an Islamic scholar and translator of the Quran, says he is “intensely proud” of his Britishness and of his South Asian heritage.

“In the 10 years I have spent representing the Royal Family, they have been nothing but respectful of my background,” he writes in the New York Post. “The notion that they are racist is simply out of touch with reality.”

Although Hussain says he doesn’t want to belittle Meghan Markle’s experiences following her bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey over the weekend, he is critical of her airing the family’s “dirty laundry” to a worldwide audience.

“Airing a family’s dirty laundry (and I am not sure how much laundry there really is) so publicly will not only injure the sensibilities of many Brits, but could be seen as an attack on family values,” he writes.

Hussain suggests to air grievances privately so as to support family members when there’s an issue at hand.

“I fear that all Ms. Markle’s actions will achieve is, ironically, to make the Royals more cautious when dealing with outsiders. And that will be a loss to us all.”

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Prince Philip is racist, but in a friendly and comical way. But the rest of them aren't.

1615429852269.png

1615429755103.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'VERY MUCH NOT A RACIST FAMILY': Prince William responds to Meghan and Harry interview
"I haven't spoken to him yet but I will do," William said of his brother

Reuters
Michael Holden
Publishing date:Mar 11, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 4 minute read • comment bubble70 Comments
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, reacts to a question from the media as he leaves after a visit to School21 following its reopening after the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions in east London on March 11, 2021.
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, reacts to a question from the media as he leaves after a visit to School21 following its reopening after the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions in east London on March 11, 2021. PHOTO BY JUSTIN TALLIS /AFP via Getty Images
Article content
LONDON — Prince William denied on Thursday that Britain’s royals were racist after Meghan, wife of his younger brother Harry, said one unnamed member of the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin might be.

Meghan, 39, made the allegation during an explosive tell-all interview that she and Harry, 36, gave to Oprah Winfrey and which was aired on Sunday, plunging the British monarchy into its biggest crisis since the 1997 death of Princess Diana, William and Harry’s mother.

On a visit to a school in east London, William said he had not talked to Harry since the interview was broadcast just over three days ago.

“I haven’t spoken to him yet but I will do,” William, 38, said.

Asked by a reporter if the Royal Family was racist, William said: “We’re very much not a racist family.”

In the two-hour show, nearly three years after their star-studded wedding in Windsor Castle, Meghan said the royals had ignored her pleas for help while she felt suicidal.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, speaking about expecting their second child during an interview with Oprah Winfrey.
This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, speaking about expecting their second child during an interview with Oprah Winfrey. PHOTO BY JOE PUGLIESE /Harpo Productions via AP
Harry said his father, heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles, had let him down and that he had felt trapped.

On Tuesday, Buckingham Palace issued a statement on behalf of 94-year-old Queen Elizabeth, the princes’ grandmother, in which she said the family were saddened by how challenging the couple had found the last few years.

But it was the couple’s accusation that one of the royals had made a racist comment which has dominated coverage and has the potential to cause lasting damage to the 1,000-year-old monarchy.

Meghan, whose mother is Black and father is white, said while she was pregnant with Archie there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”

Neither she nor Harry said who had made the remark, although Winfrey later clarified that Harry had said it was not the queen or her 99-year-old husband Philip, who has been in hospital for three weeks while the crisis unfolds.

“That conversation, I’m never going to share,” Harry said during the interview. “But at the time, it was awkward. I was a bit shocked.”

In the statement from the queen, the palace said issues of race were concerning and would be treated very seriously, but pointedly stated “some recollections may vary.” The Palace has said that it was a family matter that should be dealt with privately.

The interview, watched by 12.4 million viewers in Britain and 17.1 million in the United States, has proved divisive among the British public.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
For some, Meghan’s accusations confirmed their belief that the monarchy is an outdated and intolerant institution, while others decried it as a self-serving assault that neither Elizabeth nor her family deserved.

The crisis over Meghan and Harry comes a year after his uncle Prince Andrew was forced to quit royal duties following a disastrous TV interview to explain his friendship with late U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein, who killed himself in a U.S. prison while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.

Polls show the division has fallen mainly down generational lines, with those aged over 65 backing the queen and the senior royals, while younger people supported Harry and Meghan.

The divided response – part of what commentators say is a wider “culture war” waging on social and traditional media – was exemplified by reactions to pugnacious presenter Piers Morgan losing his high-profile breakfast TV slot after saying he did not believe Meghan.

His remarks had attracted 41,000 complaints to Britain’s media regulator.

MEDIA BACKLASH

The couple, who quit their royal roles to move to California last year, have also spoken out about what they say is press reporting tainted by racism, and Harry said his family had failed to call out “colonial undertones” in articles.

“That hurts, but I also am acutely aware of where my family stand and how scared they are of the tabloids turning on them,” Harry, who said the tabloids’ behavior was a major reasons why he had left Britain, told Winfrey.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The couple’s criticism of the media prompted a rebuttal from the Society of Editors, which represents many of the tabloids, saying it was “not acceptable” for the couple to make claims of racism in the press “without supporting evidence.”

However, its head, Ian Murray, stepped down over those comments after being accused of trying to defend racism, which he denied.

Also worryingly for the monarchy in the long term, surveys have indicated that the popularity of the Elizabeth’s heir Charles, 72, has also fallen amid the crisis.

During the interview, Harry also laid bare how distant he had become from the other members of his family, saying his father had stopped taking his calls at one point, and that there was “space” in his relationship with William.

“Much will continue to be said about that … as I said before, you know, I love William to bits, he’s my brother, we’ve been through hell together and we have a shared experience,” he said. “But we’re on different paths.”

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think Meghan has just given more credibility to her Palace bullying claims.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

1615511017145.png

Conservative OBLITERATES Harry and Meghan as Jacob Rees-Mogg Sings National Anthem in Parliament!​

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1615511312230.png

Pinocchio Markle EXPOSED 🤥 2 More Whoppers REVEALED 🤬 13 ✈️ + Slam 🚪 In Kate’s Face 😳

This woman is a piece of work. Meet Meghan Markle the manipulator...

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Candace Owens rips Meghan Markle over racism claims: 'She's a typical leftist'
Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Mar 11, 2021 • 2 hours ago • 3 minute read • comment bubble26 Comments
Activist Candace Owens speaks to guests during the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum at the 148th NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits on April 26, 2019 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Activist Candace Owens speaks to guests during the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum at the 148th NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits on April 26, 2019 in Indianapolis, Indiana. PHOTO BY SCOTT OLSON /Getty Images
Article content
Conservative commentator Candace Owens isn’t buying Meghan Markle’s claims that before her first child with Prince Harry was born, the palace held “conversations” about “how dark his skin might be.”

“It’s so ridiculous,” Owens told Sean Hannity on his Fox News show this week. “She’s a typical leftist, narcissist.”

“If you’ve seen a picture of Archie, and you believe that he has suffered anti-Black racism, then I’m a Nigerian prince and give me your credit card details.”

During the couple’s tell-all interview with Winfrey Sunday night, Markle also said life as a royal affected her mental health and she at one point considered suicide.

“I was ashamed to say it at the time and ashamed to have to admit it to Harry. But I knew that if I didn’t say it, then I would do it,” she said. “I just didn’t want to be alive anymore.”

This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, left, speaking with Oprah Winfrey during an interview.
This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, left, speaking with Oprah Winfrey during an interview. PHOTO BY JOE PUGLIESE /Harpo Productions via AP
British TV personality Piers Morgan criticized Markle after the interview and ended up losing his co-anchor spot on Good Morning Britain, something that Owens, 31, was particularly angry about.

“Piers Morgan was all of us when he was dressing down Meghan Markle and calling her out on the blatant lies that she’s told,” Owens told Hannity. “She can’t even keep her stories straight, by the way. If anybody remembers, she said three years ago that she does not read newspapers and she doesn’t check social media because she doesn’t like to read stories about her. But apparently that’s not true because she’s now telling everyone she was suicidal because of bad press and racism.”

The conservative activist continued, “If you look at her, you would not be able to discern that she’s Black. So what you’re saying is, you’re not allowed to critique Meghan Markle. For her to put in this phone call to have his voice silenced because she’s unhappy with what’s being said about her, which by the way is being said across the globe … It really has less to do with the royals than it has to do with the typical leftist progressive in Hollywood.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

In separate tweet, Owens continued to rage, writing, “Meghan Markle is less than 25% black. Her son is less than 12% black.Her and Harry implying that everything that happened to them is because of her blackness is a sickening level of scapegoating. What Harry is doing to his family (who cannot respond) is unforgivable.”

Meanwhile, Megyn Kelly, who was also critical of the Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah, weighed in with her support of Morgan in a chat with the BBC.

“I think he should be allowed to express his opinion,” she said. “We need more people who are willing to push boundaries on the air … You can’t keep yanking microphones off because you have an opinion that some people might find offensive.”

Kelly added, “I don’t know how controversial it is to say he doesn’t believe Meghan Markle. Why doesn’t he get to (not) believe her?”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, reacts to a question from the media as he leaves after a visit to School21 following its reopening after the easing of coronavirus lockdown restrictions in east London on March 11, 2021.
'VERY MUCH NOT A RACIST FAMILY': Prince William responds to Meghan and Harry interview
Wendell Pierce poses during a photocall for the TV series
Journalist and television presenter Piers Morgan smiles as he walks near his house, after he left his high-profile breakfast slot with the broadcaster ITV, following his long-running criticism of Prince Harry's wife Meghan, in London, March 10, 2021.

For his part Morgan, whose career has spanned both sides of the pond, was unapologetic.

He told his 7.8 million Twitter followers that “Freedom of speech is a hill I’m happy to die on. Thanks for all the love, and hate. I’m off to spend more time with my opinions.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Piers Morgan demands apology from CBS' 'The Talk' after Sharon Osbourne clarifies comments
Reuters
Naman Ramachandram
Publishing date:Mar 12, 2021 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read • comment bubble10 Comments
Journalist and television presenter Piers Morgan smiles as he walks near his house, after he left his high-profile breakfast slot with the broadcaster ITV, following his long-running criticism of Prince Harry's wife Meghan, in London, March 10, 2021. PHOTO BY TOBY MELVILLE /REUTERS
Article content
LOS ANGELES (Variety.com) – Piers Morgan, the combative former host of “Good Morning Britain,” has fired his latest broadside, demanding an apology from CBS show “The Talk.”

On Friday, hours after his friend Sharon Osbourne clarified her stance following accusations of racism on “The Talk,” which she co-hosts, Morgan sprung to her defense.

“Sharon’s been shamed & bullied into apologizing for defending me against colleagues accusing me of racism because I don’t believe Meghan Markle’s bullsh—,” Morgan tweeted. “This is where we’ve reached. I demand an apology from those @TheTalkCBS bullies for their disgraceful slurs against ME.”

Osbourne had tweeted earlier: “After some reflection, after sitting with your comments & sitting with my heart I would like to address the discussion on ‘The Talk’ this past Wednesday. I have always been embraced with so much love & support from the Black community & I have deep respect & love for the Black community. To anyone of color that I offended and/or to anyone that feels confused or let down by what I said, I am truly sorry.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I panicked, felt blindsided, got defensive & allowed my fear & horror of being accused of being racist take over. There are very few things that hurt my heart more than racism so to feel associated with that spun me fast! I am not perfect, I am still learning like the rest of us & will continue to learn, listen and do better.

“Please hear me when I say I do not condone racism, misogyny or bullying. I should have been more specific about that in my tweet. I will always support freedom of speech, but now I see how I unintentionally didn’t make that clear distinction.

“I hope we can collectively continue to learn from each other & from ourselves so we can all continue to pave the way for much needed growth & change. The community on this platform means a lot to me. I hope we can all hold each other up with accountability, compassion & love during this powerful time of paving the way for so much needed change.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Osbourne was among those who publicly defended Morgan following his remarks about Meghan Markle and subsequent exit from ITV’s “Good Morning Britain.”

“I am with you. I stand by you. People forget that you’re paid for your opinion and that you’re just speaking your truth,” Osbourne had tweeted.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, speaking about expecting their second child during an interview with Oprah Winfrey.
Harry and Meghan's popularity plummets in U.K. after Oprah interview, poll says
Activist Candace Owens speaks to guests during the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum at the 148th NRA Annual Meetings and Exhibits on April 26, 2019 in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Osbourne later said during Wednesday’s episode of “The Talk” that she feels “like I’m about to be put in the electric chair because I have a friend who many people think is a racist and that makes me a racist.” That, along with several other heated remarks Osbourne made to her co-host Sheryl Underwood, has caused considerable online chatter since, leading to Osbourne’s clarification on Friday.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Morgan and Osbourne served together as judges on “America’s Got Talent.”

Meanwhile, the U.K. Society of Editors, whose executive director stepped down earlier this week over the fallout from the interview, has nominated Morgan as columnist of the year for his column in The Mail on Sunday, which Morgan has promptly rejected.

“I’ve been nominated in @EditorsUK awards as Columnist of the Year,” Morgan tweeted on Friday. “Obviously, some deranged wokie is now going to make a fuss about this & demand I be canceled from the shortlist, to make a name for themselves. So before they do, I am canceling myself. Remove my nomination.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The former presenter, who stands by his disbelief of Markle’s statements on Buckingham Palace’s lack of empathy towards her mental health concerns, has also crowed about his growing social media following.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Harry and Meghan's popularity plummets in U.K. after Oprah interview, poll says
Reuters
Publishing date:Mar 12, 2021 • 5 hours ago • 2 minute read • comment bubble44 Comments
This image provided by Harpo Productions shows Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, speaking about expecting their second child during an interview with Oprah Winfrey. PHOTO BY JOE PUGLIESE /Harpo Productions via AP
Article content
LONDON — The popularity of Prince Harry and his wife Meghan has tumbled in Britain and has never been lower following their explosive interview with U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey, according to a poll on Friday.

During the interview aired last Sunday, Meghan said her pleas for help while she felt suicidal were ignored and that one unnamed member of the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin might be.

Meanwhile, Harry, Queen Elizabeth’s grandson, also bemoaned his family’s reaction of the couple’s decision to step back from official duties.

The tell-all interview has plunged the 1,000-year-old monarchy into its greatest crisis this century, and according to a YouGov poll, the standing of the two royals has also taken a big hit in the aftermath.

It found 48% percent of the 1,664 respondents had a negative attitude of Harry compared to 45% with a positive view, the first time his net favourability rating had been negative, and a fall of 15 points from a week earlier.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Meanwhile, only three in 10 people had a positive view of Meghan, while 58% had a negative opinion.

As with other polls conducted since the interview, there was a divide between generations, with a majority of those aged 18 to 24 liking Harry and Meghan and those over 65 overwhelmingly having negative feelings towards them.

The only other member of the family to see their popularity fall was Harry’s father, heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles. The survey said 42% now had a negative view of him compared to 49% with a positive opinion.

That compared to the 94-year-old queen, who was liked by 80%, and Harry’s elder brother and his wife Kate, who were popular with three-quarters of respondents.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, arrive at the Endeavour Fund Awards in London, Britain, March 5, 2020.
BONOKOSKI: Now it's Harry and Meghan who are testing our patience
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Piers Morgan are pictured in this combination photo.

A separate poll, conducted partly before the interview was broadcast in Britain, found support for the monarchy as a whole was largely unchanged with 63% backing the institution and 25% wanting an elected head of state.

But there were some worrying figures for the Royal Family. Among the youngest age group, support for an elected head of state was higher than that for the monarchy by 42% to 37%, although YouGov said this was within the margin of error.

Reactions: Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They've gone from being universally loved in the UK to being universally hated.

They thought the Oprah interview would reveal to the world how terrible and racist the Royal Family and British press are and everyone would pity them and hate the Royal Family.

Instead they have been proven to have lied several times and now the whole world can see it.

Meanwhile, the Royal Family continues as it has done for over 1000 years with its popularity unchanged.

The Sussexes have lost. Big time.

1615580807081.png

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1615584291077.png

NEW 🤬 Manipulator Meghan Complains TWICE To Get Piers FIRED 😳 Victim CONFIRMS Complaint To OFCOM​

Told you. Utterly toxic...