Pipeline Spill, No 2,299,487,540

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It’s quickly become what some call a public relations nightmare for the province. There have been three oil spills in the past month, and more than 300 in the last year. Now, the pressure is mounting for a full review of the pipeline system.

230,000 litres of heavy crude leaked out of Enbridge’s Athabasca pipeline near Elk Point this week. A pipeline owned by Plains Midstream Canada leaked up to 475,000 litres of light sour crude into the Red Deer River on June 7. Before that, there was a spill in May, near Rainbow River up north. There, nearly 800,000 litres of oil leaked out.

Word of the spills is making headlines around the world.

“It’s not just a PR thing,” Brian Mason says. “These are real serious problems in our province.” Alberta’s NDP leader says the issue goes far deeper than just how the province is perceived. “It’s more than the optics… we need to be moving towards a system of monitoring and enforcement on the infrastructure that exists in Alberta, which is extensive.”

A P.R. nightmare???? I'd say that's the least of it if there have been over 300 spills in the last year. I guess that shows where some priorities are and therefore more than likely why they continue to have the spills in the first place. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Spate of oil spills pushes Alberta to look harder at pipeline safety

As crews work to mop up more than a million litres of oil that has spilled in Alberta in a month, Premier Alison Redford is steering the province toward a safety review of its 377,000 kilometres of pipeline.

Ms. Redford has charged her ministers of energy and environment to investigate whether a larger provincial response to the spills is merited. The leaks have come at an alarming pace in recent months, while the government is attempting to persuade its neighbours across Canada and the United States to accept pipelines carrying Alberta crude.

The Premier’s statement on Wednesday, two days after 230,000 litres leaked from an Enbridge pipeline system, that she is “certainly not opposed to the idea” of a more comprehensive review, is her strongest support yet for the notion.

Ms. Redford has long defended Alberta’s pipelines. The province is looking for new markets – the U.S. Gulf Coast, Asia, California, Ontario and Atlantic Canada – to sell the dramatic growth in the output of its oil sands. But wherever it has sought to place new steel into the ground, it has run up against concerns about safety from first nations in B.C., ranchers in Nebraska and farmers in Ontario.

High-profile leaks on Ms. Redford’s home turf are boosting the pressure on the Premier to act. Opposition parties are calling for more spending on inspections and a new look at regulations. Even those once close to the government say inaction is no longer an option.

“It is an issue and I think it has to be addressed,” said Ron Liepert, a former Alberta energy minister who briefly held the finance portfolio under Ms. Redford.

“What’s happened is starting to put doubt in people’s minds –whether those people are in Ontario or Alberta,” he said. “What really would be helpful is for a kind of an independent review.”

After all, Mr. Liepert pointed out, “we’ve got a lot of old pipe running underneath this province.” Forty per cent of Alberta pipeline was built before 1990.

The federal NDP is also calling attention to the leaks as the Harper government is seeking to streamline environmental regulation. The party’s finance critic faulted Ottawa for taking “a wild wild west approach to the evaluations around pipelines,” although the Conservatives have also boosted funding for inspections.

For Alberta, part of the trouble is that pressing for greater scrutiny is an acknowledgment that all is not as it should be. Saskatchewan’s auditor recently found numerous problems with pipeline oversight there, and called for better policing. Ms. Redford must balance any bid to prevent future spills against provincial reassurances that Alberta’s energy industry is overseen by a “world-class” regulatory system.

“By doing that, you’re admitting that what we’ve got right now isn’t enough,” said Bruce Cameron, president of Calgary-based polling firm Return on Insight. But, he said, there is a “huge political imperative” for “the government here to appear to be tougher and more vigilant than it is.”

Ms. Redford also faces questions about whether to make changes at the province’s oil and gas regulator, the Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB), which environmental groups say is too industry-friendly. It is not “a body that we can completely trust to protect our communities, our water systems and our environment,” said Mike Hudema, an Alberta-based spokesman for Greenpeace, who wants an independent pipeline inquiry.

Unlike regulators elsewhere, the ERCB does not fine companies – it employs other measures, like halting production until fixes are made – and uses unusual criteria to measure success. For example, the ERCB has defended Alberta’s pipelines as rigorously maintained, saying they experienced only 1.5 failures per 1,000 kilometres last year, down from more than five in 1990. But that doesn’t include spills at pipeline facilities. So the Enbridge spill this week at a pumping station would not be counted.

Others question the ERCB’s ability to prevent spills. The regulator conducted more than 1,700 field inspections in 2011, but that “sounds awfully low to me,” relative to the province’s lengthy network of pipeline, said Danielle Smith, leader of the Opposition Wildrose Alliance.

A key question, she said, is “do we have enough boots on the ground that are doing these inspections?” She said the current process is designed to respond to, rather than avert, spills.

“We need to do a better job on the front end of making sure we prevent problems from happening,” she said.

Spate of oil spills pushes Alberta to look harder at pipeline safety - The Globe and Mail

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
As opposed to high paying jobs we could have had already?
Probably not as high paying as these ones will be,the price will be passed on down to the consumer anyways.
If we have to dig up,expose and cut a meter section out of every single producing line then lets get it done,whineing isnt going to do anything about it.

As opposed to high paying jobs we could have had already?

Could have,should have,dont have.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Probably not as high paying as these ones will be,the price will be passed on down to the consumer anyways.

Yea, great for the economy.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't profess to know a great deal about oil pipelines but I do know a fair amount about infrastructure. It all has to be maintained and renewed. If you build a bridge and don't do any maintenance for 30 years it will fall apart.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Instead of executive bonuses being a given or based on profits they should be based on safety and regulatory compliance. In the long run it would be much more profitable for shareholders.

This is a big catch-22. If the company can't produce/sell their oil, the profits head south pretty quickly. Fines and penalties are one thing, but the biggest component is the down time in terms of remaining profitable.

Probably the oil industry much like the forest industry needs to take control away from bean counters and MBAs and put it back in the hands of professionals.

That's definitely the way it should be, and I will say that most of the companies that I am familiar with follow that premise pretty closely.

The problem with this is its based on the flawed assumption that the Alberta gov't will get hard nosed with producers, when they will bend over backwards to avoid it for one simple reason: being hard-nosed means shutting in production for offenders and that in turn means loss of royalties in the provincial coffers. If you talk to most older (40+ yr old) person working for the ERCB/AEUB, they will tell you that (unless you're in a meeting where they are trying to find out what happened with an oops and then they will growl convincingly but unless it is an epic screw up, the growling is as far as it goes). Because of the way revenues play into this, bigger companies can and will get away with more: negative press is really more of a deterrent than gov't regulations. As in the case with Pace's leaks in the muskeg up north, out of sight is out of mind all too often: Alberta Energy/Encana was able to play this way down on the Block in CFB Suffield for years, as was Amoco (before BP bought them) at Nipisi/Utikima Lake and other large companies have as well.

Out near GP I see, back in a previous life, I worked around Kaybob and Fox Creek (shudder). I'm guessing that you've done your share of time in the field and have had the chance to deal with the AEUB/ERCB. In my view, that agency carries the biggest stick in the industry - I don't need to tell you that the ERCB field inspectors have the power to shut a site down on the spot if they deem it problematic.

Brings me back to the point that no company can really afford to be offline for any period of time. It is in the best interests of an oil company and especially a p/l company, to work towards maximum up time. With this in mind, the big motivation is to ensure that everything is done right from inception and to spend the big capital upfront in order to prevent/minimize loss of cash flow down the road.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What I'm not getting is the fact that "certain people" on this forum, that purport to be in the industry, are down playing 300 spills in a year. 10 or 12 a year, 1 a month, may be "no big deal, but 300 in one year is a very big deal.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Re: Pipeline Spill,J No 2,299,487,540

Over 85% of these spills are less than 5 barrels of oil.

The last spill was not even a P/l spill, it was a spill in the Pump station facility and was contained within the fenced boundary of the facility. The facility has compacted clay ground surface and makes clean up almost 100% recovery.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Well, that's it, then. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

No your right, no big deal here, it's all eastern media hype.

AB is very capable of managing it's own resource and it's associated challenges.
The only thing you easterners have to worry about is making sure AB people make enough money so that we can send you equalization payments so you can pay your bills and live in a life of luxury!!!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No your right, no big deal here, it's all eastern media hype.

AB is very capable of managing it's own resource and it's associated challenges.
The only thing you easterners have to worry about is making sure AB people make enough money so that we can send you equalization payments so you can pay your bills and live in a life of luxury!!!

Actually, we send a bunch of our people out there to do the work and manage the projects.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Actually, we send a bunch of our people out there to do the work and manage the projects.

No, they come out here alright but we get them to do the bull work, and even then they screw things up. In fact it has recently been determined that it was screw up by eastern personnel that caused most of the spills out here.
These dummies just don't seem to lean very well!!

*learn*

Leaning is what they do tho !!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, they come out here alright but we get them to do the bull work, and even then they screw things up. In fact it has recently been determined that it was screw up by eastern personnel that caused most of the spills out here.
These dummies just don't seem to lean very well!!

*learn*

Leaning is what they do tho !!

I guess that's why they manage construction projects for Horton CBI, and manage some of the refineries and upgraders.