People who pass along dire predictions from God.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yup, that's right.

Really, it isn't "religion" per say ... it's all the religions that proclaim themselves as absolute Truth and Damn anyone else who dares to believe outside the box - their own little boxes. One can have Christ without Church and peace of mind without being controlled.

One can also have peace of mind without either church or christ.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are many paths to spirituality but it's a lonely walk with few travel companions and the paths are somewhat grown over.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There are many paths to spirituality but it's a lonely walk with few travel companions and the paths are somewhat grown over.

I'd say that there are many paths to our Father, and yes, some could be lonely but not all are.

windowsillsound

Aug 22, 2011
Over the last few hiundred years billions of people have centralised their populations in major cities around the world, and the jungian phenomenon known as the "collective unconscious" has 'gone supernova'. The german novel "Thus spoke zarathustra" is a good example of the kind of overwhelming psychosis' that takes over people's lives, even though it's a book about an old man who lives alone on a mountain, the protagonist is obsessed with informing the townspeople of the coming of a superman, who can conquer all obstacles single handedly!

The book was to me a satyrical comedy, and the fact that it was issued to german soldiers in ww2 a kind of bitter joke, from the aristocracy to the soldiers. But, to answer your question, you have to allow people to be miserable, sometimes.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Evangelical religions all seem to suffer from this. Islam, Christianity, whatever. Its a tactic that can work on some people.

The French essayist Michel de Montaigne noted about 500 years ago that it's the most sanctimonious people who perpetrate the worst sins, what he called the association between supercelestial thought and subterranean behaviour. I think it comes from belief in the divinely sanctioned certainty of being right. People haven't changed much.

J.C. supposedly alluded to this as well when he was quoted as saying "let him who is without sin cast the first stone". I'll admit my recollection of the story is very faint but if I recall correctly it was in reference to a crowd wanting to stone some sinner for some transgression.

This all brings back a memory of a guy I worked with a while back. I had to laugh a bit at the time. I worked with a very devout (but naive) mechanic who was shocked and outraged about the conduct of a local businessman who called himself a devout Christian. In essence the guy had cheated some other local businesses and then went under, but he also dragged other businesses down with him, who he owed sizeable amounts of money to. The "christian" was able to keep his big house, fancy care, etc because while his business failed, he had made sure to protect his personal assets. Some of the other business people he took down with him, weren't quite so fortunate, including other Christians that went to church with my co-worker. My mechanic co-worker was absolutely outraged a Christian would act in such a way as the crooked guy; I, being a worldly 22 or so at the time, just shook my head and told him that all types will stab a person in the back, but some "Christians" will smile and shake your hand while their other hand slides the knife in. Sorry for the tangent :)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I am reminded by the title of this thread, and the fact that my son so kindly reminded me yesterday, that we are approaching "The End of the World 2011 Part Deux" October 21. This was postponed from May for those of you following along at home. I guess there was a scheduling conflict in May or something.

Anyway, we're surely about to see billboard, full page adverts, etc any time now. Unless they're doing the low-key rapture this time around.

Just a heads up. :)