Paris Deal Collapse

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I've been trying to explain to those really bright people who know nothing that limiting energy gives the energy companies the abilities to write their own ticket. Limit oil drilling and you limit competition which is what drives the cost of energy down. Same with coal.

They were interviewing people in some town in Sonoma CA or some such that had passed a law that any new construction was required to have solar power on their roof. None of the people had saved one cent on their electric bills and the installations cost more than $25,000 added to the cost of their homes.

... works for Schill Oil ...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They were interviewing people in some town in Sonoma CA or some such that had passed a law that any new construction was required to have solar power on their roof. None of the people had saved one cent on their electric bills and the installations cost more than $25,000 added to the cost of their homes.

Oh yeah... when the subsidies stop... so do the savings. :)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Canada is 200 million tonnes away from meeting international emissions promise

Canada has just 13 years to cut almost 200 million tonnes of yearly carbon emissions if it hopes to meet its 2015 international climate treaty obligations.

Such a reduction would be the equivalent of taking 44 million cars off the road — twice the number of passenger vehicles that were registered in Canada two years ago

The latest national emissions inventory report, published in April, shows Canada's emissions at 722 million tonnes in 2015, down just 0.7 per cent from the previous year.

As part of the 2015 Paris Agreement, Canada agreed to a target of 523 million tonnes by 2030 — 30 per cent less than what the country generated in 2005.

The target becomes even more daunting if there is any growth in emissions from industries, such as expanded production in the oilsands or new manufacturing.

Indeed, the pipeline projects Canada has already approved in principle could add more than 40 million tonnes from additional oil extraction alone.

Nonetheless, Environment Minister Catherine McKenna is insisting the government's climate change plan will allow Canada to meet its target.

"If you look at the plan, it shows how we are going to get to the target," McKenna said. "We've taken very serious measures."

The Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change, signed last fall by Ottawa and 11 of the 13 provinces and territories, aims to take 86 million tonnes of carbon emissions out annually by 2030.

That includes the impact of the carbon pricing regime to be phased in at increments of $10 per tonne starting next year, reaching $50 per tonne by 2022.

Michael Cleland, chair of the board at the Canadian Energy Research Institute, said he pegs the odds of those cuts materializing by 2030 at "zero."

"I don't see events or forces in the offing that are likely to change that in the next couple of years," said Cleland.

Cutting coal-fired electrical plants, something Ottawa wants done by 2030, will eliminate 61 million tonnes, but three of the four provinces that still generate electricity by burning coal haven't committed to that yet.

Cleland said there will be incremental growth in electric vehicles and more efficient buildings, but both are only happening "bit by bit."

"I don't see evidence we're going to see a massive shift in the next 10 years," said Cleland.

Canada is 200 million tonnes away from meeting international emissions promise - Politics - CBC News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
NATO urges global fight against climate change as Trump mulls Paris accord

Climate change poses a global security threat that all countries must fight together, a NATO general said on Wednesday, as U.S. President Donald Trump nears a decision on whether to pull out of the Paris climate deal.

The comments were the strongest yet from the U.S.-European military alliance about the importance of upholding the Paris accord. They come amid lingering tensions between the leadership of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and Trump, who at one point called NATO "obsolete".

"There is a huge necessity that the U.N. continues to involve all nations and coordinate the action of all nations," to fight climate change, General Denis Mercier, NATO's supreme allied commander for transformation, told Reuters on the sidelines of a conference in Norfolk, Virginia.

"If one nation, especially the biggest nation ... if they do not recognize a problem, then we will have trouble dealing with the causes," of climate change, said Mercier.

Though he did not single out any country by name, the United States is the world's biggest economy and the second largest emitter of greenhouse gases after China.

NATO urges global fight against climate change as Trump mulls Paris accord | Reuters

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
No wonder why the Russians will be able to run all over continental Europe.

Of course they will, they had good practise with the USA and the last election getting their puppet into power.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Good. Paris is a plan that will devastate the world's industrial economy at the behest of the completely discredited, crackpot science of AGW. It's a thinly disguised attempt at wealth distribution to the third world, which will, in fact, impoverish ALL if implemented. We are NOT in a climate crisis, we are in a crisis of irrationality driven by fear, ignorance and maudlin sentiment.

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
By whimper, do you mean laughing my balls off?

Funny how folks stop thinking of the children the minute the subsidies end

Laugh at you peril! I know a good number of celebrities (with one name) who will taunt you and bring images of them holding dirty, smelly children to the television studio! Mess with Bono, Sting or Beyonce at your peril! I could probably ask Cher, Feist, Madonna or Bjork if you really want trouble. Prince used to help, but he's stopped making public appearances.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Laugh at you peril! I know a good number of celebrities (with one name) who will taunt you and bring images of them holding dirty, smelly children to the television studio! Mess with Bono, Sting or Beyonce at your peril! I could probably ask Cher, Feist, Madonna or Bjork if you really want trouble. Prince used to help, but he's stopped making public appearances.

I'll take my chances

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah but that's different. He recognizes man made Climate Change, therefor he can continue on his extravagant fossil fuel gorging lifestyle.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Don't forget that he's an extremely important person (just ask him), therefore it's his duty and obligation to charter a private jet to preach his truths

That's right Captain. Is it any secret why Al Gore at the Oscar's granted the liberal Hollywood elite one year of carbon credits so that they may preach the dangers of Climate Change and sacrifice while continuing their mass consumption of resources.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Good. Paris is a plan that will devastate the world's industrial economy at the behest of the completely discredited, crackpot science of AGW. It's a thinly disguised attempt at wealth distribution to the third world, which will, in fact, impoverish ALL if implemented. We are NOT in a climate crisis, we are in a crisis of irrationality driven by fear, ignorance and maudlin sentiment.

We are definately in a climate crisis. Cold not warm, nothing to do with CO2, next twenty years could cut the human pop by half, already crop damage is very noticable.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
So now that the climate crisis is over, can we get back to singers with two names again?