‘Painful summer ahead:’ Gas prices reach 211.9 in Metro Vancouver, expected to rise

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yeah, total conspiracy.

Appears that the crippling "incentives" that lead to "better behavior....uh...better choices" is apparently exactly what he wants. And we all know that what groper wants, he gets. Inflicting pain on the population, sign of a true leader.
Better behaviour , I mean choices . Yikes .

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep, That's why the only country in the world suffering record-high gas prices is Canada.
Canada Isn’t, and nobody, including the story BOOMer linked to, is saying that. Really it is worth a read through:

I am assuming that California is the outlier like Vancouver is for Canada? if so that average price in California is cheaper than most places in Regina Saskatchewan today.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Canada Isn’t, and nobody, including the story BOOMer linked to, is saying that. Really it is worth a read through:

I am assuming that California is the outlier like Vancouver is for Canada? if so that average price in California is cheaper than most places in Regina Saskatchewan today.
No, an outlier would be picking the most expensive gas station in the country (which happens to be in California).

California is the largest state in the country, with 39.5 million people and the highest average gas price. Oklahoma, with the lowest gas price, has a population of just under four million. I would suggest it would be more of an outlier. The reason I chose a state instead of the national average was because the website I looked at listed prices by state.

And all the usual suspects are blaming True Dope, and only True Dope, for the gas prices. OK, y'all hate True Dope. Got it. Don't think much of him myself, but the obsession the usual suspects have is witless, and kinda boring.

The Schadenfreude of laughing at terrified retards wears off pretty quick.

Reactions: Serryah

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's simply not the case that every other country is paying what we're paying for gas

Avg price in 🇨🇦 is now ~$2.15

Avg CAD price in 🇯🇵 is ~$1.67

Avg CAD price in 🇦🇺 ~$1.66

Avg CAD price in 🇺🇸 ~$1.59

Avg CAD price in 🇲🇽 ~$1.51

Avg CAD price in 🇦🇷 ~$1.37

We are being gouged with taxes by our government. And their stifling of production, and cancellation of pipelines means there is limited supply, and high demand.

Canadians only have themselves to blame electing a boy who believes the budget will balance itself.. eh but he has nice hair. 😉

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It's simply not the case that every other country is paying what we're paying for gas

Avg price in 🇨🇦 is now ~$2.15

Avg CAD price in 🇯🇵 is ~$1.67

Avg CAD price in 🇦🇺 ~$1.66

Avg CAD price in 🇺🇸 ~$1.59

Avg CAD price in 🇲🇽 ~$1.51

Avg CAD price in 🇦🇷 ~$1.37

We are being gouged with taxes by our government. And their stifling of production, and cancellation of pipelines means there is limited supply, and high demand.

Canadians only have themselves to blame electing a boy who believes the budget will balance itself.. eh but he has nice hair. 😉
Had nice hair .

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Average price is Europe is over $3.00/l, currently $3.39 in Netherlands.

Though we Canadians have literally pissed away our inheritance - we sell oil to America and buy it back as gas because we haven't invested in refining capacity. Meanwhile, we have all the gas in the world and it sits in the ground because we can't even export it. Imagine, we could be supporting Europe's gas needs, rather than supporting Russia.

New government required immediately. We can be green, whilst still exporting oil and gas to those who need it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Average price is Europe is over $3.00/l, currently $3.39 in Netherlands.

Though we Canadians have literally pissed away our inheritance - we sell oil to America and buy it back as gas because we haven't invested in refining capacity. Meanwhile, we have all the gas in the world and it sits in the ground because we can't even export it. Imagine, we could be supporting Europe's gas needs, rather than supporting Russia.

New government required immediately. We can be green, whilst still exporting oil and gas to those who need it.
How about coal , we still export tons to such environmentally pure countries as China .

Reactions: B00Mer

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
No, an outlier would be picking the most expensive gas station in the country (which happens to be in California).

California is the largest state in the country, with 39.5 million people and the highest average gas price. Oklahoma, with the lowest gas price, has a population of just under four million. I would suggest it would be more of an outlier. The reason I chose a state instead of the national average was because the website I looked at listed prices by state.

And all the usual suspects are blaming True Dope, and only True Dope, for the gas prices. OK, y'all hate True Dope. Got it. Don't think much of him myself, but the obsession the usual suspects have is witless, and kinda boring.

The Schadenfreude of laughing at terrified retards wears off pretty quick.

There's always people who go off on "If we'd just use our own oil and produce it here!"

But thinking on it the other night I realized even if we DID pull our own oil and refine it and use it in Canada first (as I was all good for, vs using Saudi Oil), to do so would mean going against OPEC and other oil producing countries who likely would not be okay with this.

They might just do the same, and sell off their excess oil to the world at a higher rate than it is now.

TBH, I don't know what the solution for this BS high price in gas is as there is NO reason for it, other than greed from the oil corporations.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There's always people who go off on "If we'd just use our own oil and produce it here!"

But thinking on it the other night I realized even if we DID pull our own oil and refine it and use it in Canada first (as I was all good for, vs using Saudi Oil), to do so would mean going against OPEC and other oil producing countries who likely would not be okay with this.

They might just do the same, and sell off their excess oil to the world at a higher rate than it is now.

TBH, I don't know what the solution for this BS high price in gas is as there is NO reason for it, other than greed from the oil corporations.
Does government greed get a pass ?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Yep, because apparently refineries can be built and operated for free.

The theory is that all the movement of crude oil and refined products around the world is the cheapest way to do it. In actual practice, building refineries, pipelines, shipping terminals, etc. tends to lock you in to the situation that prevailed when you built them. So you build on, and do your best to take care of current need whilst planning for whatever the future may bring. Then, of course, the commodities speculators ('scuse me, "traders") get involved. And of course, the allegedly free market ain't actually all that free.

The only thing you really need to know is it's all Trudeau's fault. Just vote him out, and the VERY NEXT DAY gas will be thirty cents a gallon and we'll all have fun, fun, fun (till our daddies take our T-bird away).

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yep, because apparently refineries can be built and operated for free.

The theory is that all the movement of crude oil and refined products around the world is the cheapest way to do it. In actual practice, building refineries, pipelines, shipping terminals, etc. tends to lock you in to the situation that prevailed when you built them. So you build on, and do your best to take care of current need whilst planning for whatever the future may bring. Then, of course, the commodities speculators ('scuse me, "traders") get involved. And of course, the allegedly free market ain't actually all that free.

The only thing you really need to know is it's all Trudeau's fault. Just vote him out, and the VERY NEXT DAY gas will be thirty cents a gallon and we'll all have fun, fun, fun (till our daddies take our T-bird away).
$.30 per gallon I need a time machine back to the 1960’s .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

It really has nothing to do with OPEC. It's economies of scale. It is much cheaper to ship the oil to the USA to big refinaries and buy back the gas then to build refineries here. But if it were cheaper, they would do it in a heartbeat. OPEC controls their production in order to manipulate the price of oil to their benefit. If they see it beneficial to them to decrease the supply they will.

Also whether it is home grown or not, the seller of the Alberta oil is going to sell his at the market rate. He is not going to take less money to keep it in Canada. So regardless of where the gas is refined, the price is driven by the world price of oil.

The thing we can control is the taxes on the fuel. Some are flat rate while others are percentages. The higher the base gas price the more money goes to the government. Turn all the taxes into flat rate based on the revenue received with the percentage tax when gas was $1.00/l.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It really has nothing to do with OPEC. It's economies of scale. It is much cheaper to ship the oil to the USA to big refinaries and buy back the gas then to build refineries here. But if it were cheaper, they would do it in a heartbeat. OPEC controls their production in order to manipulate the price of oil to their benefit. If they see it beneficial to them to decrease the supply they will.

Also whether it is home grown or not, the seller of the Alberta oil is going to sell his at the market rate. He is not going to take less money to keep it in Canada. So regardless of where the gas is refined, the price is driven by the world price of oil.

The thing we can control is the taxes on the fuel. Some are flat rate while others are percentages. The higher the base gas price the more money goes to the government. Turn all the taxes into flat rate based on the revenue received with the percentage tax when gas was $1.00/l.
All quite correct. I especially like the flat RATE. Our American folly is that we set the Federal gas tax at 18 1/2 cents per gallon back in the wayback, and it's still 18 1/2 cents per gallon, now that 18 1/2 cents is actually worth. . . maybe four cents.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
1.95 a litre last time I filled up in Davidson. Maybe I should buy a horse and keep it on my back 40 - probably cheaper than paying the outrageous prices we are now.

Reactions: petros