‘Painful summer ahead:’ Gas prices reach 211.9 in Metro Vancouver, expected to rise

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Does Chrystia Freeland, can Chrystia Freeland, actually think that this is what goes through the minds of people when they see gas costing more than eight bucks a gallon?
1657198930936.jpegThat they are glad, they are grateful, that emptying their wallets or fattening their credit-card debt is “reminding” them of “why climate action is so important?”

I’m trying to imagine a couple of people in Gander or Weyburn or Prince George heading to the cash at the local gas station after a fill-up, having a chat. “Wow, over a hundred bucks, and mine is a Civic.” The other guy: “I know. Cost me a $160 for the old pickup. Never seen the like.”
1657197617867.jpeg
Both pause and reflect. In unison, they break out: “Aren’t high gas prices just great? I was near forgetting. These fierce increases are just the reminder I needed. I mean, about how important climate action really is.” They throw an arm around each other’s shoulder and cheerily waltz to the register.

What, really, does the rise in fuel prices remind most people of? Well, the first thing of course is that they can’t afford the rises. Secondly, that their so-empathetic leaders, obsessed with their high-minded parade on climate change, have lost all contact with how most people are actually reacting to this new crisis. That government is one world, and theirs another, and making life difficult in their world is what the world of government is all about.

It’s also a reminder that their government’s manic fixation on climate virtue-signalling is less a policy than something approaching a medical condition.
1657197740843.jpeg
Have you not noticed that moving harder and faster to this delirium called a green economy has left Germany at the mercy of Vladimir Putin’s Russia, and is now driving Germany back to oil and gas? And more than any other factor it gave Putin the leverage for his wild foray into Ukraine.

This drive to a green economy, and wedding governments to “climate action” will prove to be, perhaps already is proving, to be one of the great blunders of our age. It has produced in some countries the exact opposite result of its stated purpose: pushed countries back to “sensible economies,” seen a rise in the production and reliance on coal, and seen countries rethinking their precious “Paris commitments.”
1657197948119.jpeg
Green — as a policy — is a deliberate and (for Ukraine) dangerous folly.

Freeland’s remarks also virtually endorsed inflation as a “good thing.” Because, if as she said, the rise in fuel prices reminds us of the need for climate action, why then would not even greater rises be an even stronger reminder? By that reasoning, today’s surging inflation is to be welcomed. Just the thing to get us going “harder and faster” to the fantasia of a green economy.
1657198144078.jpeg
And then there was the robotic and inescapable reference to climate action. It is a hallmark of every Liberal cabinet minister that they drop this empty, flat, vaporous phrase. They must imagine it has the power of some sorcerer’s or witch’s spell — merely utter the magic formula and presto, all argument disappears, all objection vanishes, all need to explain dies when the proper set of words is said. Climate Action. Open Sesame. Same thing.

The minister’s remarks also extend another delusion. That Canada has, or can have, any significant part to play in this climate crusade.

Even if a climate Armageddon is a real possibility, it is demonstrably far beyond the competence or capacity of Canada to make any significant contribution to solving it. Our country is peripheral, at best, in this ‘war.” We don’t count. Freeland and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau continually assert Canada is a key player. We are not.
1657198330169.png
It’s tiresome to repeat this, but China, India, all developing countries, hold all the leverage, and they are not, repeat not, joining in this Davos-IPCC crusade to plant windmills.

Verily, I believe there is something delusionary about those in high office. Have they wandered so far from the people whom they represent that — in effect — they are celebrating the economic hits raining down on the majority of Canadians?
1657198489368.jpeg
So here we are. As ordinary Canadians are taking out bank loans before going to the gas station, the finance minister is extolling fuel prices, telling them this is a great thing.

And — hard to believe, I know — some people are puzzled why so many showed up to listen to a certain candidate for the leadership of the Conservative party. Damn populist.
1657198684309.jpeg

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, it’s winter (officially as of yesterday) and we’ve been dealing with -40,000°C with the windchill for more than the last week straight. It’s just gross.
1671775493792.jpeg
Luckily the weather is starting to break and warm up somewhat. Dry cold, etc…

Here’s some interesting tidbits.
Above they consider winter driving for testing the degradation of range of EV batteries range at brrrr temps of -1°C all the way down to an arctic chill of -6.67°C?

I’d like to see the same test & its results at -30°C for at least a week straight, for real world test conditions….and not Brrrr winter weather from Florida….

Here is how some of the most popular EV models perform in cold weather (????) compared to the manufacturers' listed range, according to Recurrent.

Audi e-tron winter range

Model or trim: Premium plus

Observed range at -6.67 to -1 C: 93 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 101 per cent of original range

BMW i3 winter range

Model or trim: 42 kWh battery

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 74 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 98 per cent of original range

Chevy Bolt winter range

Model or trim: 60 kWh battery

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 66 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 98 per cent of original range

Chevy Volt winter range

Model or trim: 18.4 kWh battery

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 69 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 100 per cent of original range

Ford Mustang Mach-E winter range

Model or trim: Premium AWD

Verified range at -6.7 to -1 C: 65 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 93 per cent of original range

Hyundai Kona Electric winter range

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 93 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 112 per cent of original range

Jaguar I-PACE winter range

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 97 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 100 per cent of original range

Nissan LEAF winter range

Model or trim: SL/SV Plus 62 kWh battery

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 91 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 105 per cent of original range

Tesla Model 3 winter range

Model or trim: Long range

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 49 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 58 per cent of original range

Tesla Model Y winter range

Model or trim: Long range AWD

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 48 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 66 per cent of original range

Tesla Model S winter range

Model or trim: 75D

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 45 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 58 per cent of original range

Tesla Model X winter range

Model or trim: 75D

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 48 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 55 per cent of original range

VW e-Golf winter range

Model or trim: 36 kWh battery

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 88 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 111 per cent of original range

VW ID.4 winter range

Model or trim: 82 kWh battery

Observed range at -6.7 to -1 C: 66 per cent of original range

Observed range at 21C: 94 per cent of original range

OTTAWA — One-fifth of all passenger cars, SUVs and trucks sold in Canada in 2026 will need to run on electricity under new regulations Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault is proposing Wednesday.

By 2030, the mandate will hit 60 per cent of all sales and by 2035, every passenger vehicle sold in Canada will need to be electric.

Guilbeault’s parliamentary secretary Julie Dabrusin said during Wednesday’s announcement the new target is “about making sure that Canadians have access to the vehicles they want.” (?????)

The distance you can travel on a single charge will change in cold or hot temperatures. This is because your vehicle’s heating or cooling systems draw from the same battery.
1671776952845.gif

(And anticipating rebuttal, let’s just get this out of the way now. Most of Norway has a maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers. Because of the influence of the North Atlantic Ocean, Norway has a much warmer climate than its latitudinal position would indicate.)

For balance, here’s a “Go Team EV” article that doesn’t actually mention actual temperatures in Winter:

Reactions: petros

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
When I was in university there was a December where Regina had a block of real cold weather -- almost the whole month of December (I took my Astronomy course that fall semester. Everybody said take it in the fall and avoid going to the telescope in January & February -- I froze my ass off that December). By the second week a lot of ICE vehicles were so cold they would not start. The issue was the car battery did not have the charge to start the cold motor as its charge was significantly reduced. My dad at a trickle charger and block heater so managed to keep his car running but by the end of the month their weren't too many cars still running. I don't believe that an EV would last too well in that cold. Also the ICE engine will eventually produce a 'free' source of heat for the cabin. The battery has to do that all in an EV.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah, and what you describe is very real, and the difference winter to winter generally are the length of these blocks of cold and the number of them. That’s it.

In over 50 years out on the prairies I only remember one winter that didn’t have these about was 1998. That’s it so just from my first-hand knowledge being as at the total, as it is an electric vehicle would’ve been somewhat practical in less than 2% of the winters I’ve experienced?

If these are mandated in By law by 2035, and you don’t have somewhere indoors and heated to park this EV unit overnight while it’s charging, you’re screwed. My 30yr old ICE Truck, in these cold stretches, I park outdoors on my garage pad outback, and I plug in the block heater and toss on a little trickle charger….& it fires up every morning.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, and what you describe is very real, and the difference winter to winter generally are the length of these blocks of cold and the number of them. That’s it.

In over 50 years out on the prairies I only remember one winter that didn’t have these about was 1998. That’s it so just from my first-hand knowledge being as at the total, as it is an electric vehicle would’ve been somewhat practical in less than 2% of the winters I’ve experienced?

If these are mandated in By law by 2035, and you don’t have somewhere indoors and heated to park this EV unit overnight while it’s charging, you’re screwed. My 30yr old ICE Truck, in these cold stretches, I park outdoors on my garage pad outback, and I plug in the block heater and toss on a little trickle charger….& it fires up every morning.
I think block heaters are standard in Regina. But not too many use the trickle chargers.

Of course in Toronto most people don't even know what a block heater is. And even if they did there is no place to plug them in.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Of course! They're not Real Canadians!
Not saying that, but generally the great lakes, moderate the weather, and looking at a map, Toronto is south of 54°40’ making the block Heater comment somewhat accurate compared to the intercontinental climate experience. There’s a reason why 2/3 of all EV sales in Canada are in Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver….& it isn’t just that they are non-rural metropolitan areas though that has a huge bearing on things.
1671802114766.jpeg
1671802132785.jpeg
1671802148346.jpeg
1671802167242.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Meanwhile in Europe....

Europeans Plan on Banning EV Charging To Avoid Blackouts​

2 weeks ago
Switzerland may ban electric vehicles from being used except for “essential” purposes this winter as government officials plan for a possible energy crisis during the winter months. Swiss officials drafted emergency proposals that restrict power usage if electricity shortages occur this winter. They include fewer hours for shop owners, limited use of streaming services, lower temperature settings on buildings of 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit, bans on concerts, theater performances and sporting events, as well as only essential use of electric vehicles. The irony of the electric vehicle restriction is that present government policy has electric vehicles ramping up to 50 percent of new car sales by 2025. It’s tough to convince car buyers to go electric if the government restricts their use because of an electricity shortage. Switzerland fears possible blackouts because the country relies on hydropower for 60 percent of its electricity production, but in the winter months that production slows and the country must rely on imports to fill the gap. Electricity is expected to be in short supply in Europe this winter, so import reliance may become difficult.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think block heaters are standard in Regina. But not too many use the trickle chargers.

Of course in Toronto most people don't even know what a block heater is. And even if they did there is no place to plug them in.
Pretty much every vehicle sold on the Prairies has one. Adventurous types will have a second one installed.

My CUV was bought on the west coast where few know what one is and wasnt equipped with the $150 option.

Luckily it starts on the first rotation of the crank.

They dont make them like they used to....

Thank God!