Ottawa police make 7 arrests and tow 24 vehicles during Rolling Thunder bike rally weekend

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Or, Conservatives.

Ottawa police make 7 arrests and tow 24 vehicles during Rolling Thunder bike rally weekend​

CNN) Ottawa police arrested seven people and towed 24 vehicles Friday as the Rolling Thunder bike rally got underway in the Canadian capital.

In a statement, police did not mention the rally by name but said they were responding to "demonstrations" in the city.

Residents have been on edge ahead of the event following the so-called Freedom Convoy protests earlier this year that lasted weeks.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I looked in on a number of different live feeds coming out of downtown Ottawa yesterday and they all look the same: lots of aimless wandering, shouts of "freedom", and yelling at cops. It looked to be a lame attempt at Freedom Convoy 2 but definitely lacked the energy and purpose of the original. I got the feeling that many were just spoiling for a fight so they could cry about how their rights were being trampled. Ho fukkin hum.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Ottawa police make 7 arrests and tow 24 vehicles during Rolling Thunder bike rally weekend??​

Call me cynical after the first goat rodeo. 7 arrests for what (?) and were they even related to this rally? 24 vehicles towed why? I’ve seen the government propaganda bullshit a few months back and that’s the reason I ask these questions.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Call me cynical after the first goat rodeo. 7 arrests for what (?) and were they even related to this rally? 24 vehicles towed why? I’ve seen the government propaganda bullshit a few months back and that’s the reason I ask these questions.
Cops have vowed to keep a tight lid on things over the weekend, promising zero tolerance on bylaw infractions. Towings have been due to parking in restricted areas from what I have read.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Ottawa police make 7 arrests and tow 24 vehicles during Rolling Thunder bike rally weekend??​

I've seen people with Fuck Trudeau flags on their cars not realizing everyone else is laughing at them.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Cops have vowed to keep a tight lid on things over the weekend, promising zero tolerance on bylaw infractions. Towings have been due to parking in restricted areas from what I have read.
Yeah….ok. So this is going to be much ado about nothing and much overreaction to the same? Looking forward to the next indigenous LGBTQ#*£++ protest in Ottawa eventually….

It’s also a chance for Ottawa’s police force to win back the trust and respect of the community, after coming under heavy criticism during the February protest for allowing it to go on so long before taking action.

“I think we’re going to have to wait and see. The Ottawa police lost a lot of trust last time. So this weekend is going to be a real test for them,” said Brian Latour, one of the organizers of a counter-protest in Ottawa.

A statement on the “Rolling Thunder” website attributed to organizer Neil Sheard says the protesters plan to leave on Sunday, and they do not support “blockades, obstruction of police performing their duties, damage to property or hate and vitriol directed to the residents of Ottawa.”

The statement also encourages supporters to follow the laws, and says police will be held accountable in court for their actions during the event.

“Lastly, as seen during the lawful protest in Ottawa, spread as much peace, love and patriotism to your fellow Canadians as possible,” the statement says.

By 4 p.m. Friday, city bylaw officers said they had issued 185 tickets and towed 20 vehicles related to the rally.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
It’s also a chance for Ottawa’s police force to win back the trust and respect of the community, after coming under heavy criticism during the February protest for allowing it to go on so long before taking action.
Exactly. Much of the problem last time around came from delay in police reacting at a level commensurate with the emotional level of the protesters, allowing them to become "entrenched".

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Or, Conservatives.

Ottawa police make 7 arrests and tow 24 vehicles during Rolling Thunder bike rally weekend​

CNN) Ottawa police arrested seven people and towed 24 vehicles Friday as the Rolling Thunder bike rally got underway in the Canadian capital.

In a statement, police did not mention the rally by name but said they were responding to "demonstrations" in the city.

Residents have been on edge ahead of the event following the so-called Freedom Convoy protests earlier this year that lasted weeks.

Which conservatives ?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Exactly. Much of the problem last time around came from delay in police reacting at a level commensurate with the emotional level of the protesters, allowing them to become "entrenched".
Yes and the only physical altercations were initiated by those same police .

Reactions: taxslave

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Are you talking about the property damage that I’ve been reading about in Ottawa? Somebody smashed out some windows on a vehicle….riot type stuff…but that was the police so move along, nothing to see here.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
The protesters were ordered to leave, they didn't. You expect the cops, who's job it was to clear the streets, to just stand there and "respect their space" ? There are indications that the same sort of crap is going on this weekend, with protesters taunting and confronting cops hoping to force a physical confrontation so they can cry "I'm being oppressed". It's low-brow garbage that has become the calling card of so-called freedom fighters. Freedom from what ? Democracy ? Law and order ?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Much of the problem was caused by police. And city politicians that just can't stop lying in front of cameras.
The fact is, if turdOWE had met with the truckers instead of calling them names and making false claims the convoy would have been go within a week.