Ontario and, Quebec Play key Role in Oil Collapse

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think this is an April Fools post and well done by Retired Canadian.....

No Joke. You and others like you are being taken for a ride by the people you support.

And we don't have a politician in sight that has the "balls" to stand up and tell it like it is. Sad!

I believe it was Toronto Radio Talk Show Host who said that if you badger a Canadian Politician, that you will never get an interview with them again. That is why the media did not like Harper and why they are playing it safe with Trudeau. They don't dare ask him the hard questions like: How can you ban supertankers on the west coast while allowing them, not only in the east, but in our sensitive waterways and canals?

As to the assertion that we are just a piddly player in this very large game, that is also a very naive view. We are the filth largest oil producer in the world. That's pretty damned significant. The Prime Minister is looking the other way to appease special interest who got him in.

As MHZ post stating that Harper may have stalled the pipeline, that particular conspiracy theory is farcical at best.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What's your desideratum, RCS?

For me, seems like the best idea is as many pipelines as companies want to build, and as much import/export as they want to do.

This is a classic Smithian economic situation. Alternative or green or renewable or whatever energy is coming on line, getting cheaper and more efficient as we go along. And energy efficiency is improving. Oil companies ain't stupid. They ain't gonna invest in ridiculous overcapacity, and they know well how other energy is progressing, because they're the ones doing most of it.

Seems like a strictly level playing field, with maybe some benefits (tax breaks and suchlike) for demonstrably less-polluting energy technologies'd be the way to go.

I realize it ain't that simple by a long road, but if you ain't identified your goal, kinda hard to even move in the right direction, much less get there.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
No Joke. You and others like you are being taken for a ride by the people you support.

I believe it was Toronto Radio Talk Show Host who said that if you badger a Canadian Politician, that you will never get an interview with them again. That is why the media did not like Harper and why they are playing it safe with Trudeau. They don't dare ask him the hard questions like: How can you ban supertankers on the west coast while allowing them, not only in the east, but in our sensitive waterways and canals?

As to the assertion that we are just a piddly player in this very large game, that is also a very naive view. We are the filth largest oil producer in the world. That's pretty damned significant. The Prime Minister is looking the other way to appease special interest who got him in.

As MHZ post stating that Harper may have stalled the pipeline, that particular conspiracy theory is farcical at best.

Harper appears to be a secretive, natural introvert but also an "idea" man who was in charge of the agenda. Trudeau is obviously a major, friendly, outgoing extrovert that likely has relatively few ideas and is almost certainly not in charge of the agenda.

Yes, we are the fifth largest oil producer in the world and likely down at 20th? 25th? market size. Other people from other lands financed the exploration and exploitation of our oil fields. We are a piddly player pumping someone else's oil out of our ground.

Blaming any of that on Quebecers or Ontarians is out there, bizzarro, cuckoo land.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's their a$$ he's kissing.

Who?

Quebecers hate the name Trudeau, for the most part are ambivalent about the Liberals, at best. Except for urban Toronto, the rest of Ontario is painted blue more often than not. The reality is that both Quebec and Ontario occupy the political "middle" in this country, comprise most of the population and if you want to form a government you need to win one or both. If the West wants to shift federal power back towards the West, blaming Quebecers and Ontarians for things that nobody has any control over sure as hell isn't going to work.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
True, had I been serious there would have been a link of some sort. That being said the lines going east are still ageing, why not do a new rail line and pipeline that takes a route away from populated areas and 'sensitive' areas and accidents are taken into account as far as having the equipment ready to respond using the same rail system. Power lines could be routed in that right of way for the long distance lines as well.
How about a rail system that changes cars on the fly?

Towns would be better off building their own powerplants and supplying the excess to the grid so they get a cheque rather than a bill every month. (and you have power in an emergency situation should the grid go down. NG Turbines should be able to spin the generators as cheaply as anything else and if a decent river is close by that can be utilized with low dams that have zero impact on the landscape as the nest one is always far enough upstream that there is a low water crossing between the two, some landscaping to the floodplain to minimize flood damage as well as collect extra water for the dryer seasons.

There is no new market in any direction that would justify building a line that doesn't see a return for about a decade even when running at full capacity.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If the West wants to shift federal power back towards the West, blaming Quebecers and Ontarians for things that nobody has any control over sure as hell isn't going to work.
All we have to do is become a place of under achievers and then equalization payments end and that hurts Ont and Que more than it does the west.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Actually, he "graced" our city earlier this week and was interviewed on the radio. Because I was at work, I was unable to hear the interview. I was out and about yesterday and low and behold the radio station was re-playing his interview so I heard a portion of it. I was really upset at the low-ball questions being asked (apparently by listeners who emailed/texted questions) like whether he had French or Heinz ketchup in his fridge. Are you kidding me??

He was asked about the ban on super tankers on the West Coast and he spoke about the environment and how 20,000 BC'ers rely on the waters for their living etc., etc. - a reasonable answer to be sure. I couldn't disagree with a lot of what he had to say (amazingly enough). The interviewer could have challenged him more on that answer but didn't.

When asked about the East Coast however that also had super tankers in their waters why Canada was getting oil from Venezuela as opposed to using its own oil, the bobbing and weaving was incredible. JT didn't answer the question - just the usual political rhetoric about how we need to investigate and study and blah blah blah. Was ticked me off was that the interviewer didn't challenge him for not answering the question at all.

I am soooo, soooo tired of the media not challenging our politicians - doesn't matter what stripe, but ESPECIALLY Trudeau and the Liberals it makes me so mad. I don't know about you but I want answers not rhetoric. I want to know why and how and when and where. Good grief doesn't anyone else? Even an "I don't know but I'll get back to you" would be better than the BS drivel we get on a regular basis.

When we finally have a media (The Rebel) who would challenge them, they're banned or ignored instead, likely because they don't like to be challenged. So much for free speech and open governments.

sigh....

JMHO

There is always the chance he could turn a news conference into political rhetoric followed by a half dozen scripted questions from friendly press

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
All we have to do is become a place of under achievers and then equalization payments end and that hurts Ont and Que more than it does the west.

We all know about Quebec. Tell us about the long history of transfer payments into Ontario.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

I do not support the Liberals and my support for the NDP has chilled so much I couldn't bring myself to vote for them in October.

I will say the Libs are on the right track with infrastructure spending and a few other items but the wrong track re the TPP.

But to suggest Ont and Quebec play any roll in the price of Oil should not be stated in public if you don't like being silently stared at as people would be deciding on whether to laugh wondering if you were serious or not.....

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

I'm an old fashioned PC Tory (not a Reformacon) and I sure as hell don't "support" the Liberals (I was in the Forces during the Pierre Trudeau era, [shudder]. Je me bloddy soviens)

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Look at this way. If Trump gets in, which is a possibility, no matter how many times the CBC or CNN posts a story about his potential downfall, we may be forced to take a hard look at our trade agreements. I'm not saying that we shouldn't sell our crude to only Canadian Provinces, I am saying that we should be selling to Canadian's first.

We should have a pipeline system that services the entire country and we should stop bringing in foreign oil just based on the risk it poses to our great lakes alone. While the PM may not have the power to interfere in the NEB, he does have the ability to be honest with Canadians and do something that will be good for Canada.

Pipelines are far safer for the environment than supertankers.

When I was running fuel in the GTA a couple years back, there was a shortage on diesel due to high winds on Lake Ontario for the better part of a week. The refineries in Toronto, Metro, Shell and even Suncor in Oakville had to cut off their diesel output, just so they would not run the gas stations and truck stops completely out of fuel. Sitting in those rough waters, in the middle of Lake Ontario, were a number of tankers with foreign crude waiting to attach to a pipeline offshore to be delivered to Toronto.

While they certainly avoided a spill by doing this, one is left to wonder if one of those tankers had gotten into trouble and had a spill while staging. People in Toronto have no idea the risk involved, but heck pipelines are a sexier villain than that which they cannot see lurking off shore in the middle of a Lake.

So many foreign nations take care of their own first, why should Canada be any different?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's not just crude imports but NG imports from US that are giving us massive trade deficits. Energy East is an old NG line.

We took the NG but Obama f-cked us on the crude through keystone xl that was part of the deal.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm an old fashioned PC Tory (not a Reformacon) and I sure as hell don't "support" the Liberals (I was in the Forces during the Pierre Trudeau era, [shudder]. Je me bloddy soviens)

The reform is long gone. The Joe Clark Tories will never be back. If that is your hope, you might as well sign on with Justin.