Neil Young blasts Harper government for allowing development of Alberta oilsands

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oil sands bitumen and heavy oil are one of the best sources of paraffin for making plastic which is recyclable over and over.

I bet he sells GMO cotton and fleece made from recycled plastic soda bottles as tour clothing with t-shirts starting at $50 a pop.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dual citizenship is a scam. Either you are Canadian living in Canada or your not really Canadian. It's like an honorary degree from a University.

Your passport if you even have one will never have as many stamps as mine. You can't even afford to go drink in Point Roberts.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Where does he live.......illegally?

He's a legal resident. Young has a ranch outside La Honda, California in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Nope. Ronny raygun and both bushes are home grown.

Those guys weren't from California. Reagan was from Illinois. Bushes were from Texas or Ontario or something like that.

Dual citizenship is a scam. Either you are Canadian living in Canada or your not really Canadian. It's like an honorary degree from a University.

Your passport if you even have one will never have as many stamps as mine. You can't even afford to go drink in Point Roberts.

Canada is the place they always ask me if I'm armed before they let me in. Haha.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I know you've travelled very very little and thus know next to nothing about the big cold world but it is possible for people to hold citizenship in more than one (1) country.

That will be remedied in the near future.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
FFS, is Neil going to mail everyone a cheque? He needs to get a grip.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah I guess so. But at Canadian entry stations there is a real possibility that some Americans are armed. In the early seventies the Canadian border control folks didn't really care if one was armed or not.

Some dude got busted at a SK port of entry on new years eve with an AR and a bunch of other restricted weapons on his way to Regina.

If they only nab 1 in 30.....

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Your posts are an endless source of useless drivel are you aware of that?

It's not the stamps that count it's the visas I have you beat 15 to none.

And you remember drinking in Point Roberts?

No one has done that for 20+ years now-not that you'd know.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Jackpine Mine will destroy wetlands and wildlife

The largest known reservoir of crude bitumen in the world is about to get even bigger, but Alice Rigney is in no mood to celebrate.

Rigney was raised in Northern Alberta on the Athabasca River that now runs directly through multiple oil sands projects.

"That river is our lifeline and has been for thousands of years. It has always sustained us with fish, food, water and travel – everything,” said Rigney.

Rigney grew up watching traditional hunting, fishing and trapping grounds transform into what she now calls the tar sands. She is now part of an Athabasca Chipewyan First Nations (ACFN) Elders council, fighting those developments.

“If they destroy that, what will become of us? Are we going to become refugees on our own land? Where am I going to go?”

Conservation area, compensation lake planned
Now Shell Canada has the green light from the federal government to expand its 7,500 hectare Jackpine Mine to 13,000 hectares.

Shell said it could bring the Alberta and federal governments an estimated $17 billion in royalties and taxes over its life and create an additional 750 full time jobs.

But Indigenous and environmental groups say the predicted damage to water, land and animals outweighs any profits the addition to the oil sands will yield.

Shell's assessment projects that 185,872 hectares of wetlands in the area will be lost or altered as a result of the Jackpine Mine expansion and other industrial activity.

In order to mitigate impacts, the company has purchased about 730 hectares of former cattle pasture in northwestern Alberta to help compensate for 8,500 hectares of wetland that would be lost just from the expansion.

Shell has also drafted plans to move caribou and wood bison to a conservation offset zone. They also plan to create a compensation lake complete with fish and fauna in order to further mitigate impacts on wetlands and wildlife.

Jackpine Mine will destroy wetlands and wildlife

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hands up those who want Young's advice on anything important in your life.